JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I probably wouldn't trade to much with people I didn't know before the shtf would rather see the people make it that I can gain from either its someone that can watch my back or I can simply trust.

It's occured to me that hot peppers and sauces like Tobascco release endorphins which become mildly addictive to many people and as such would be a desired commodity with little backlash of violence or theft.

Any attractive ladies out there - don't forget prostitution. Prostitution > Starvation. Even if you have to do it behind your husband's back. It is good for the family. Food, that is ...

Turning tricks will run rampant. Women have survival instincts that rival men by far. They know how to get down to business in order to survive.

rubbers

It's occured to me that hot peppers and sauces like Tobascco release endorphins which become mildly addictive to many people and as such would be a desired commodity with little backlash of violence or theft.

The original reason for the "Spice Road" that introduced Europe to Asia was to bring back black pepper, cinnamon, and such. A little pinch of something fragrant and your days-old fish or rancid meat becomes edible again!

Well before I go prostituting myself out for trade ;) (which I wouldnt think of as a trade item, but a survival item) I will make sure that I have my family set.

As for trading items I have extras of things we already use and will probably end up using anyways and that would be hard to use against me and my family:
Cotton balls, TP, Shampoo, Soap, Lotion, Alcohol, Batteries, Ziplock bags, Socks, Under-roos, ect.

This way if the worst doesn't come in my lifetime then at least I didnt waste too much money and we wont have to buy deodorant for a few years ;)
T

So therehas been some good stuff so far! Trade skills are perfect... if you can do something that others cant... and they need! This makes you invaluable to local populas. I agree with others that if you are prepping, make sure you are getting what YOU need first. Honestly though precitious metals and gemstones have always and will always be of value! You dont have to get 100 oz bars every day. but if you get small coins every now and then they will add up and act as currency any where you go. regardless if theyre in form of currency (like silver coins) its not the face value the coin says... but the amount of silver or gold in it. I suggest picking up a roll of coins or a small bar every now and then. Its good investing even if nothing ever happens!!! Comfort items are up there too, as a lot of people say. Small things that dont take up a lot of room. Somethings I would not trade... unless it was for something really worth it. Like ammo, absolutly do not trade. Ammo is one of the most valuable things you could have. for hunting but mainly security. If a situation gets bad enough who will make ammo? What you have will last a long time! And talking about batteries, good for trading, but one thing to keep in mind is theyre not that shelf stable. I invested in flashlights and things that take the 3volt battery. theyre a little more pricy, but theyre shelf stable for a very long time! And theyre pretty small. As someone else said, think about where you are? what would be available? what services will people need? It'll very by situation, by location, by local community, etc... Just things to keep in mind!

One item I rarely see mentioned is plywood. Most likely 4x4 or full 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood. Also 2.5"-3" deck screws. Heavy duty cordless drill with lots of spare batteries.

People will be very concerned about closing up windows/access into their homes. Drive through any bad neighborhood - lets take Rockwood for an example LOL. You will see lots of homes with plywood in the windows. Why? Because they probably got sick of replacing windows constantly.

Plywood over windows does not stop an intruder. It does however, give you that precious amount of seconds/minutes to introduce Mr Intruder to your little friend.

Plywood is a hard thing to store for a lot of people, but if you have a garage, and an open wall, you can't go wrong with getting some plywood.

If you have a good cordless drill such as an 18v Dewalt, just keep your eyes open for cheap batteries/chargers.

In a disaster situation what are one of the first items to sell out at Home Depot: Plywood. Should also mention 2x4s and the like for bracing up doors, etc.

Tools need to be CORDLESS as mobility and lack of power will be issues.

It's surprisingly common for coal (or its poor cousin, lignite) to pop up near the surface in tiny outcrops that aren't worth commercial exploitation.

My father and his brothers made it through the last depression in part because their small Ohio farm had some coal they could dig with pick & shovel. They'd walk it the couple miles into town in a wheelbarrow to trade for essentials.

I was surprised to discover that the upscale San Francisco Bay Area city of Portola Valley had a road called "Old Spanish Trail" that was, in fact, an old spanish trail. It led from Coal Creek down to the road, and it was where the spanish colonizers got their coal. Of course it hasn't been dug in a hundred years, but it's still there.

I think tools, weapons, ammo, medicine, and hygiene items are all good trade items, but things I'd be hesitant to part with because of the possible difficulty of replacing them or fabricating them myself. I think the the biggest trade item that will get you the most bang for your buck so to speak in any desperate situation, is always going to be food and water. I think a lot of people would run out of both quickly and be willing to trade just about anything they had for them. They're essentials that will be in constant demand so long as there are people. I'd suggest having extra food, water, or seeds for trade. I suggest seeds because if you give someone the means to be self sufficient, it may decrease the likeliness that they come knocking on your door for your food again. And seeds help multiply resources, which would hopefully help society get back on it's feet faster. I think it's good to diversify though, and have a little extra of everything, including skills.

1. Food/Water
2. Skills/Services/Knowledge
3. Everything Else

JMO.

Everything you buy is of trade value to someone.

I agree with this too though. ^

Any attractive ladies out there - don't forget prostitution. Prostitution > Starvation. Even if you have to do it behind your husband's back. It is good for the family. Food, that is ...

Turning tricks will run rampant. Women have survival instincts that rival men by far. They know how to get down to business in order to survive.

:s0114:

I think tools, weapons, ammo, medicine, and hygiene items are all good trade items, but things I'd be hesitant to part with because of the possible difficulty of replacing them or fabricating them myself.
These things are a must to keep for yourself and family.

As for trade goods, I still believe the biggest bang for the buck will be a small can of tuna.

I would recomend adding dents and dirt to make each can appear to be your last one.
(you dont need anybody thinking you have cases of them!)

Of course those big box stores sell them by the cases.

We are talking about two weeks to a month after the stores are not being resupplied.

But for the size... and what it offers to a pair of hungry eyes, you will be able to trade for much larger items.

At least I am counting on this and hoarding all my other supplies.

Trading for Heat?

What about heating here in the NW suburbia neighborhoods?

For those with fireplaces and a cord or more of wood already stockpiled, that should be enough for the first NW winter.

But then what do you trade to get somebody to resupply you while you stay and protect your own home.

And what can be traded for those who once would have had only electric heat?

Are we talking about no heat and wearing excessive amounts of clothing all fall, winter and into spring?

Brrrrrr......

easier to quit drinking than smoking, been there done that. Not alot of home made brew out there I would trust either. start making it now and get a reputation with your neighbors, and practice for the future, I think 200 gallons a year is the legal limit for personal consumption.

NOPE you can't make distilled spirits in the US legally. You can make Beer and Wine without having to pay tax.

from Wiki it is illegal to distill beverage alcohol without an appropriate license anywhere in the US. In some jurisdictions, it is also illegal to sell a still without an appropriate licence.

do a search for making distilled alcohol lots of how to and all comes with a warning.

One item I rarely see mentioned is plywood. Most likely 4x4 or full 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood. Also 2.5"-3" deck screws. Heavy duty cordless drill with lots of spare batteries.

People will be very concerned about closing up windows/access into their homes. Drive through any bad neighborhood - lets take Rockwood for an example LOL. You will see lots of homes with plywood in the windows. Why? Because they probably got sick of replacing windows constantly.

Plywood over windows does not stop an intruder. It does however, give you that precious amount of seconds/minutes to introduce Mr Intruder to your little friend.

Plywood is a hard thing to store for a lot of people, but if you have a garage, and an open wall, you can't go wrong with getting some plywood.

If you have a good cordless drill such as an 18v Dewalt, just keep your eyes open for cheap batteries/chargers.

In a disaster situation what are one of the first items to sell out at Home Depot: Plywood. Should also mention 2x4s and the like for bracing up doors, etc.

Tools need to be CORDLESS as mobility and lack of power will be issues.

3/4" plywood runs at least $25.00 a sheet at Home depot. On the other hand OSB (wafer board) which is 7/16" thick sells for about 6.00-8.00 a sht depending on the time of year. So it would be cheaper and stronger to use to shts of OSB then a single sheet of 3/4" plywood

You would be better off with a hand drill and a screw driver or better yet a Brace that didn't need any batteries. In my 1/4" drive socket set I have a flex handle (shaped like a Brace) and holders for 1/4" bits. I can put a 2" dry wall screw in a piloted hole as fast as my cordless drill if need be.

3/4" plywood runs at least $25.00 a sheet at Home depot. On the other hand OSB (wafer board) which is 7/16" thick sells for about 6.00-8.00 a sht depending on the time of year. So it would be cheaper and stronger to use to shts of OSB then a single sheet of 3/4" plywood

You would be better off with a hand drill and a screw driver or better yet a Brace that didn't need any batteries. In my 1/4" drive socket set I have a flex handle (shaped like a Brace) and holders for 1/4" bits. I can put a 2" dry wall screw in a piloted hole as fast as my cordless drill if need be.

Good call. Do have a link to your equipment so others can plan correctly?

Good call. Do have a link to your equipment so others can plan correctly?

sure heres the little 1/4" drive I have from Sears Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

and then use a 1/4" bit socket Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

and you can put any 1/4" screwdriver bit in the socket and do everything from drill pilot holes to sink lag bolts. You can also find a small 1/4" drill chuck to fit a 1/4" screwdriver bit socket.

Or you can use adapters and go up to a 1/2" drive speed wrench. FOR MORE POWER

Trade goods I like to stock ASIDE from the things I need for myself;
Ammo in commonly needed calibers
Cases & cases of booze
Pounds of tobacco vacuum sealed
meds/Drugs/wacky-tobaccy
Soap
Small tradable denominations of Gold/Silver
Foods others might well miss but not have; canned butter, canned milk, canned hams, canned bacon, spices, yeast, cheese, ect...
Pro skills will be well worth bartering, have some of that to trade

fromQUOTE=Sense Amid Madness;538028]If a global economic/social collapse where to happen, and if you and your family managed to survive the short-term chaos, what do you think would be so valuable later that you would consider spending a few of your scarce dollars on some now, to salt away for later? To me, this is a real dilemma if your budget is tight.

What would salt away if your budget was not so tight?

My best thought is to first invest in tools (defined broadly) to produce things of value. What kind of tools? My cheapest answer: skill to tan leather hides, along with heavy thread and hand needles for sewing leather. Could things ever get this bad?[/QUOTE]

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top