JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here are some things that I have selected to buy "extras" of. Because they are relatively cheap now, last forever, and are easy to store, but hard to make without complex infrastructure. These things might be also valuable to someone else, just in case we are in desperate need of something we don't have (like the services of a doctor, or dentist), or in case we want some kind of a luxury to lift spirits.

Fish hooks
Monofilament line
Strike anywhere matches (Look at eBay for "Penley matches")
Disposable lighters
Cheap, but decent, Chinese pocket knives that are always on sale at Big Five
Extra AA and AAA batteries (of course, these don't last forever) and a few extra LED flashlights
Tools and supplies for sewing leather
A couple of dozen pairs of good used boots bought at garage sales for about $1 per pair.

Basic skills we have invested in:
Knife sharpening tools and skills
My wife is a masterful clothes maker/repairer.

Things I think I will NOT trade for several reasons:
Guns or ammo
alcohol (dont plan to have any anyway).
TP (too valuable)

None of this is planned for making a profit. I see it just another prudent aspect of preparedness for an unexpected situation. All will be fine to keep if not needed for trade. I intend to add a few cans of vaccuum packed coffee to the list.

But then, we are fortunate to live in the country, without the need to pack everything up and leave. Everyone's situation is different.

PEPTO BISMOL,or tumms

I eat something today that screwed up my stomach.I don't ever have stomach problems.
So of course I needed to go to the store and get some antacids.
If people aren't eating right,and they won't be able to,they're gunna want some help once in a while.

PEPTO BISMOL,or tumms

I eat something today that screwed up my stomach.I don't ever have stomach problems.
So of course I needed to go to the store and get some antacids.
If people aren't eating right,and they won't be able to,they're gunna want some help once in a while.

Good suggestion. I don't have that in my medical supplies yet, either. Thanks.

Go for it, man. You might corner the market.
I'd rather have something to offer that will actually help someone. Same for booze.
(Yeah . . . I know . . . coffee ain't exactly noble either . . . but I ain't investing much in that.)

The right kind of booze is medicinal. When I was a kid the neighbor saved my life from guardia by giving me blackberry brandy. Bad water kills just like a bullet only you crap yourself to death. Water is going to be bad in a SHTF and more people will die from it in my opinion than will die from bullets.

People tend to think that a SHTF means you will starve or die from violence but the fact is there are alot of things that kill.

jj

As great as most of these ideas are, they don't explicitly mention the TIMESCALE over which you're preparing to survive.

If you're in the "fishhooks/flint & steel" clan, then you're assuming a world where the stores of TP and batteries and lighters and pinto beans have already been drawn down. That'll take awhile.

If you're in the "all ammo" clan, then it sounds like living through the crash/crisis/cataclysm/come-what-may is the highest priority on your list. It might all come down pretty fast, depending on what triggers the event. But it still implicitly assumes a timescale and a particular scenario.

Kudos to the people who say to stockpile stuff that you will need yourself. The rule is like that for any collectibles - you should enjoy them as long as you own them. I think that water filters are a great store of value: expensive, no easy substitutes, readily stored for long periods, and without the risk of triggering aggression like alcohol, tobacco, or firearms. :D But I won't feel dumb if I'm stuck with lots of extra filters or lighters or canned tuna, because I'm sure that eventually they'll be wanted and needed by me or my friends.

We're all on the same side, and I agree with everything I read here - with caveats. So I say worry about the near-term first, mid-term second, and... you get the idea. Just having a couple weeks' worth of canned food and a water filter puts you way ahead of the crowd, so even "near-term" preps are a tremendous advantage.

Preps are like any other investment: the key word is diversification, and that means not just the items themselves, but the timescales and scenarios for which they are intended.

I would have to agree with JJ... Having the know how to build a decent shoe could be very helpful. Not just for trading but with all the walking people would be doing after fuel is no longer available, being able to cover the feet of your family will be very important. I also think that drinkable alcohol would be a very valuable trade item. You can make a very simple sugar wine with sugar, water and yeast. Of course it is very dependent on the availability of those supplies. You can boil rain water, sugar stores forever and is cheap (you will want some sugar anyway for cooking and such), and yeast... well that one is a bit trickier... According to www.USAEmergencySupply.com (very good website) freezing yeast in the foil packet form should last a while... over 5 years. With those ingredients here is a basic sugar wine recipe I have found to post for everyone. <broken link removed> there are others online but they are all basically the same. One side note I would mention. I personally brew beer as a hobby so I have much better equipment for fermenting than the water jug and balloon. Get a glass carboy and an air lock for about 30 bucks at a homebrew supply shop and you can make 5 gallons at a time and assure that you don't contaminate your brew. Anyway, I think I am going to make this recipe and I will let you all know how it goes. Oh... one more thing... It's freaking snowing again!!!! Arghhhh!!!

Man oh man talk about a brain fart.I have had this swimming around for thew last few days and finally thought of it.
Maybe not such a big deal as I needed to remember it.

The movie was Book Of Eli,and yes it was a movie but this made some sense to me.
Little hand cleaner packets,travel soaps and shampoos,tooth pastes.
I mean ,you are startin' to kinda...well really stink and your lady ain't wanting to keep you warm any more.

How about those little ShamWOW cloths? Or the camp towels.Lots of little bathing goods will do well for some.

1,000 cheap Bic type knockoff lighters from Wally Mart. 1,000 long burn votive candles. LOTs of fire starter in the form of cotton balls with an edge dipped in Vaseline. Pints of booze and cigarettes.

Selco says never trade at your home. After things settle down a bit, places form for bartering. Carry trade items out of sight, and a concealed handgun. Never an open weapon someone would shoot you for. Look poor.

Man oh man talk about a brain fart.I have had this swimming around for thew last few days and finally thought of it.
Maybe not such a big deal as I needed to remember it.

The movie was Book Of Eli,and yes it was a movie but this made some sense to me.
Little hand cleaner packets,travel soaps and shampoos,tooth pastes.
I mean ,you are startin' to kinda...well really stink and your lady ain't wanting to keep you warm any more.

How about those little ShamWOW cloths? Or the camp towels.Lots of little bathing goods will do well for some.

You really want to stand out as the only guy for 20 miles who looks like he just had a shower and smells like soap? Sort of like wearing really clean clothes in good shape. It would attract a lot of attention.

You don't have to look clean to get that stink out of your pits and crotch. Soap could really help maintain your positive outlook. Like Tyler Durden called it, "the yardstick of civilization."

Cigarettes are not a good choice since most only last under a year.

You mean those C ration cigs were no good? They were 10 or 15 years old when I got them. Actually tried some canned white bread that dated to Korean war.

sealed tins of tobacco, or pipe tobacco, will turn into gold.

With proper storage they will last, actually that brings to mind tobacco seed. pretty east to obtain. May require a greenhouse up here though.

Some varieties will grow in zone 2. Ebay is loaded with seed offers, and they are cheap.

For myself, I'd rather buy bulk tobacco and rolling paper, or just cigarettes. Growing, cutting, aging and chopping tobacco isn't on my list, LOL.

I don't know if it's legal to grow it. I never looked into it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top