JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get much more benefit from regular annealing and turning my necks to get uniform case neck tension.

Time better spent doing this. Some people would be surprised to know that variations in neck tension cause fluctuations in release pressures that affect velocity and accuracy.

After seeing many others who say they don't clean primer pockets, I guess I'm not embarrassed to say that I rarely do it. When I inspect a decapped case, if I see an unusual amount of carbon in a pocket, I'll swirl a machinist's scribe around in there and break it up. I don't do it as a routine.

A high primer can result in a slam fire

Hand loads should always be checked for high primers. That's one reason I always box mine bullet point down, one last QC check. Re. the busted M1 Rifle, it should be able to endure a slam fire using M2 Ball pressure level ammo; the sheared heel is more likely a result of a hot or over-charge. Or simple metal fatigue.

Beyond that, I have NEVER read one article even attempting to show any accuracy improvement by cleaning or uniforming a primer pocket. What I did see were a lot of loose primer pockets after "uniforming."

Personally I agree with not dinking around with primer pockets in pursuit of uniforming. We manage to get enough loose ones without trying. But then again, I'm kind of a "service grade" shooter who wouldn't appreciate a difference of a millimeter or two on paper.

My primer pockets are cleaned when the brass goes for a stainless media cleaning. I'm too crippled up hands to try and clean them one by one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top