Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

what to use for shooting mats

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ZombieAssassin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ZombieAssassin

ZombieAssassin Oregon Member

I'm looking for a cheap, portable, easily stored shooting mat that will be resilient to weather, easy to clean, and comfortable enough on most terrains. I've tried carpet remnants, but they soak up rain/mud/etc and are become hard to clean. Rubber mats are easy to clean and won't soak up rain/mud/etc but are more expensive.

http://www.commercialmatsandrubber.com/c8/Survivor-Rolled-Rubber-Solid-Black-p808.html

Something like the above could work in a group buy. 4'x50'x1/4" for $545, then cut the roll into 8 parts (50'/8'=6.25' long), so 8 people can each get a 4'x6.25'x1/4" thick black rubber mat for $545/8=$68.125. Looks like there is a 8% off code of "firsttime8" for orders over $500, and free shipping, so $545*(1-0.08)=$501.40/8=$62.675 per person. Not bad for something that should last for a long time.

Or this: http://www.matdepot.com/products.cfm?objectgroup_id=11&CATID=2
    1/4" Athletic Roll Flooring # FM40 4'x50'x1/4" black rubber mat for $360
    $360/8=$45 per person to get a 4'x6.25'x1/4" thick black rubber mat

There are also yoga mats: Deluxe Yoga Mat # FM24 $19.88 each
    24"x68"x3/16"=2'x5.6'x3/16" not as wide, long, or thick

2. The Dude

The Dude The 206, WA Member

sounds like you need some shamwows!

3. XD45

XD45 Salem, OR Member

If you do get some Shamwows just be mindful of your tongue!

Sorry Zombie I know this has no bearing on your question, and for that check out a camping pad. I was at Bi Mart the other day and they had them for about $20. They are just a piece of foam, so should keep you slightly padded and dry.

4. ZombieAssassin

5. Sandman86

Sandman86 Portland Member

How about a tarp? then foam over it maybe if you need padding? Cheap, and it would collect your brass.

6. ZombieAssassin

Foam soaks up rain too much, then you are laying on a sponge. I lay tarp down, but when the LSOs are walking behind you and around the area, they track mud onto the tarp, which eventually finds its way to your mat. So tarp+shooting mat that is water resistant and comfortable enough is a good solution. I think I'm going to purchase the $25 on sale mat above.

7. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

they sell shooting mats at Dillon Precision. Now where is that copy of the Blue Press........... (searching)

Here it is. www.dillonprecision.com Item # G39-18146 $65.00

Dimensions 66 inches long by 27 3/4 inches.

" Dillon's shooting mat is made of tough ballistic-weave nylon fabric, with a large skid-resistant elbow pad area. The "ground" side is moisture resistant and wipes clean easily. The padding is dense closed-cell foam to provide both shooter comfort and a stable shooting base. The mat is equipped with a shoulder strap, a carry handle and two straps with snap release buckles.

I have contemplated buying one soon.

Hope this helps!

8. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Try Sportsman's Guide
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=389653
    I've used this in the mud a few times and it cleans up pretty well.
    Not bad for $49.97 especially when I compare it to my $130 Creemoore Sports mat.. The Creedmoore mat is more plush, bigger and has fold-out panels but I have to baby it and it's not water/mud resistant.

9. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

10. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I used my all-terrain floor mats from my jeep to shoot on.

11. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

you can get a pickup bed mat for around $50-$60 and is dual purpose and always with you.

12. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I found them at Schuck's auto supply, amazingly inexpensive. I think HarborFreight Tools has them too. These are black, one-half inch closed-cell foam, rubber covered mats designed to pad shop floors. They come in a pack of six two-foot-square interlocking "tiles", sometimes with edging strips, giving you a four-by-six mat. These also make amazing soundproofing for walls! I lived in a cheap duplex and covered my entire bedroom wall--effectively!.....................elsullo :thumbup:

13. ZombieAssassin

Price? Have you tried laying prone on them for 1-2 hours?

14. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I got them on sale about five years ago for six bucks a six- pack. Schucks is everywhere; see for yourself.

Regarding rubber truck bed mats: with any ageing these turn into carbon-rub-off delivery systems. Anything touching them gets covered with black "grease". These are eager to return to oil......................elsullo

15. ZombieAssassin

Got the MidwayUSA shooting mats today and they are nice; at $25 they were a steal!

16. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

I wondered about those... glad to hear a first hand report that they are worth it at that price! :thumbup:

17. ZombieAssassin

The comments on MidwayUSA are accurate regarding thickness of padding, etc. but you can buy rubber pads to supplement this at the sources in this thread. The auto parts store solution sounds practical. I don't know yet if I will need additional padding, but will find out soon enough. The pad is compact when rolled up, easy to roll up and clean, and looks nice.

18. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

i got a idea how about kevlar it can double as a bullet proof shield as well should the zombies be armed :thumbup:

19. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

Haji's are cheap.