JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Laugh all you want, Gunner. Your joke was my scientific experiment: Loading for my Sako .221 Fireball, I came accross the perfect powder for it: H322. Filled the case, maximum velocities, mild pressures, extreme accuracy. This was an excellent chance to compare meticulously weighed charges against powder-measure thrown charges (criteria being accuracy on target, and more scientifically, chronographed velocity reading consistency). I found that with this measure-friendly powder and inherently accurate cartridge (and as almost all benchrest competitiors have discovered), the measure-thrown charges were AT LEAST as consistent for performance as the weighed ones.

Then I took the next obvious step: merely scoop up a .221 Fireball case full of powder, level it off, seat a bullet and shoot. I cannot say the Standard Deviations were as good as measured and weighed charges, but I CAN say the groups were hauntingly similar, and chronograph readings floored me for their lack of variation that I expected.

Looking now for a good Dr. Pepper can from which to scoop. Might improve my results.

LOL, of course I was joking but that's an interesting story. I'm just answering to say that I couldn't live without a chrony and a case length trimmer. Even length cases give me consistent crimps, and the chrony helps me when I get a different powder lot, different brand of case or different bullets.

I "measure" my case lengths in my trimmer - especially cases which are new to me.

I let the powder measure on my press drop my powder, and weigh every 10th charge.

Looking now for a good Dr. Pepper can from which to scoop. Might improve my results.

Just put case on a paper plate, put funnel on case, and then pour powder until it starts backing up in funnel. Lift funnel and let excess fall on plate. Level off, seat bullet (Ignore crunching sound) then pour powder in plate back in container so you can repeat. ;);) Reminds me of some of my Varget loads in .308 where all I have to do is make sure that the powder just reaches the bottom of the neck.

I found that with this measure-friendly powder and inherently accurate cartridge (and as almost all benchrest competitiors have discovered), the measure-thrown charges were AT LEAST as consistent for performance as the weighed ones.

This may be so for SOME Bench Rest shooters but I have seen a clear trend towards not just electronic scales at the range but even the use of battery powered ?RCBS Chargemaster for loading match ammo at the range. I shoot frequently with an individual that holds several National Records and won the 2011 WA State 3-Gun Championship and possibly set a World Record. All his loads were generated from an RCBS Chargemaster as the old standby Harrell measure he used to use doesn't drop the powder of his choice consistently.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads