JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I plan on dry canning some food up next weekend. What foods can you suggest? I know wheat, rice, oats, pasta and pinto beans but what else? I plan on keeping it long term canned in #10 cans with o2 absorbers. This is strictly for long term storage as I have already set up short term and mid term foods that I eat day to day and am constantly rotating through. Any suggestions would be great

I believe you should store the foods you would want to eat in the event of an emergency. The foods you have listed are a great start but I wold think that storing familiar foods would be the best option. That way, you have recipes to follow and generally know what it takes (in the way of ingredients) to prepare the meals that you will want to eat.

Now, get'r done!

:D

I have to skip the wheat and pasta because I'm glute intolerant, fortunately my mom was Oriental, so I grew up on rice.:s0155: So keep in mind any special dietary requirements. I also have a lot of split peas stored; my Dad used to make a lot of split pea soup, and it's fairly cheap in bulk.

When the grocery store does BOGOs, I buy the cheap meat (especially the thin sliced stuff) and make jerky in my dehydrator. I also buy eggs in the big 5 dozen boxes, scramble a bunch, and dehydrate that. Looks like sand in the vacuum sealed bags, but reconstitutes well.

I have a milk and milk derivatives allergy that came on me recently.. it's far worse because lots of products including some wines and beers are processed using milk finings.. and "natural flavoring" that is in so many products also contain milk derivatives

One thing to consider might be seasonings. At some point you may be in a situation where you are eating game that is less tasty and seasonings could make it go down a bit easier ;)

Ya the ol lady is half hispanic so we stock lots of goya seasoning stuff taste great and holds 5-6 years... I really was just wondering what stuff y'all are dry canning and or putting in mylar bags was thinking of going to winco and getting some bulk food lentils split peas sugar etc. Im pretty good on rice pinto beans wheat and quick oats already

Glad I saw this, this morning.

With the Sandy BS I'm finally winning the prep war with my wife, the rub is I'm really grain intolerant, so I've always wondered: How the hell do you prep when you can't eat most of what is storable?

Is there a value to things like protein powders? I don't see any chance of being able to store fresh veg, obviously, just kinda lost in this whole idea of storage when you can eat wheat, rice or corn.

With canned veg do you suggest the stuff on the shell at your local megalomart, or is it better to can it on your own, either at the local LDS place, or with some ball jars?

Would it be better to dehydrate fresh food and store instead?

Glad I saw this, this morning.

With the Sandy BS I'm finally winning the prep war with my wife, the rub is I'm really grain intolerant, so I've always wondered: How the hell do you prep when you can't eat most of what is storable?

Is there a value to things like protein powders? I don't see any chance of being able to store fresh veg, obviously, just kinda lost in this whole idea of storage when you can eat wheat, rice or corn.

Dave, can you eat legumes? Wild rice (which is a grass)? Can see where grain allergys can make it tough. Good luck!

Wild rice yes, good call on it! Legumes, some. With those, would cooked canned be a longer lasting option, or dry bagged?

I was looking in the freezer too, I have a lot of almond meal, the fats in it will go rancid, can that be stored in any way to be long lived?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top