Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What to look for when buying an AK-47

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Muddslinger12, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Muddslinger12

Muddslinger12 Vancouver Active Member

Whats the better brands for the money?

Is a Russian AKM the best?

Whats the best, most reliable one for the money?

I guess most importantly which ones should I AVOID?

Also are the mags interchangeable brand to brand?

Thanks! Sorry, I know I just posted similar thread for AR-15 but I am just trying to get as much good info about both before I make my decision. Without stirring up the Wasps nest with the AR vs AK guys lol

2. blk04specv

blk04specv Hillsboro Member

I had a WASR 10/63 that I got for a decent price. WASR 10's are usually slightly cheaper, just watch for excessive magazine wobble, make sure it accepts double stacks, and make sure the front sight isn't canted. Other than that I think most AK's are about as reliable as they come. You might want to watch out for some of the sporter models that only accept specific 10 round mags.

3. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

a chrome lined or stellite barrel is a plus - they will last nearly forever and are a bit more resistant to any corrosive ammo you might put through it - it doesn't mean that you don't have to clean it after using corrosive but it will give you a touch of insurance. In general an AK is one of the most reliable "black rifle" out there and is forgiving in the mud, muck, and sand. As blk04specv said above you do want to make sure it takes standard AK mags and not the single stack ones. I tend to like the early Chinese AKs and the Russian ones but all of them are reliable.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

+1 to everything already said. I have two Romanian WASR 10/63 AKM's. One I bought NIB and I gotta say it rocks the "ten ring" for an AK. The fit and finish were pretty decent, but I upgraded to poly furniture, and a side-folding ACE stock. While standing unsupported, I dumped a 30 round mag into approx a 6" circle in under 15 seconds @ 100-yds. using iron sights... That's good enough for "social work". ;)

The other WASR 10/63 I got used, from a member here in a trade transaction. The front sight was ever so slightly canted, but was still sighted in. Being OCD like I am, I fixed it easily enough. That one has all original Romy wood furniture with the front "dong" foregrip that I have yet to sand down and refinish in "Russian Red". It shoots just fine as well.

The other two "AK's" that I have are Romanian Draco "pistols". One of them I legally converted into a SBR, and the other is all original in pistol form. I haven't really shot them too much yet, but the fit and finish on them is excellent.

You used to be able to get a NIB WASR 10/63 or a Draco for around $400-$450 about a year ago... I reckon that prices have gone up a bit since then, but there are still deals to be had out there. Unless you are serious about "collecting", (and if you are just starting out) I don't suggest you drop $1,200+ on a Russian Saiga or Bulgy Aresanal AKM unless you are certain that the AK pattern is the rifle for you. For around half the price you can still get the same shooting results with a WASR 10/63.

Just my opinion. ;)

5. 590

590 Federal Way, Washington, United States New Member

Arsenal is a very good way to go. Rifle Dynamics Rifle Dynamics 07 FFL/SOT - Las Vegas | Home and Krebs Custom Welcome to Krebs Custom - The Ultimate Expression of System Kalashnikov are the top shelf builders. Some of the finest Ak's. Bulgarian Circle 10 mags are good to go. You can never go wrong with military surplus mags. Alot of people seem to have good results with the US Palm mags as well. I have never used them myself.

There are more budget Ak's but you need to look them over very good before buying.

6. MrBlack

MrBlack Portland, OR Active Member

I had a Krebs KTR 03S. It was unflappable and very accurate.

7. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

It all comes down to what you want to spend.

8. MrBlack

MrBlack Portland, OR Active Member

+1

9. 590

If you want some thing fun & cheap you can go with a WASR. Just inspect it good. Front sites are the most common issue.
    I've had the same Mak-90 for almost 20 years. It runs like a champ. My other AK is an Arsenal, I love it.
    If you have the budget & want a professional grade weapon Rifle Dynamics.
    [video=youtube;Z_9WsoetBgE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_9WsoetBgE&feature=feedf[/video]

10. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Well after looking at another thread here I guess the first thing to look for would be a good shovel... :laugh:

11. aslinged

aslinged Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

Do we have any custom AK builders in the NW? It seems like the market could stand to take up some of Fuller's slack (year waiting list) and basically provide the same service he does to his production rifles--an overall tuneup, new gas block, refinish, a few aftermarket parts, cut/crown and compensator.

12. 590

Blackwell Industries http://blackwellindustries.com/
    If a local shop had AK's like this in stock would people be interested in buying them off the shelf?

13. 590

[video=youtube_share;seY9ZZxMFIQ]http://youtu.be/seY9ZZxMFIQ[/video]

14. thirtycal

thirtycal Camas, WA Active Member

jimfuller1.jpg

Got my S12 back. Check it out. - Rifle Dynamics - rifledynamics.com - forum.Saiga-12.com

To the OP: Here's a good way to do it if you want a nice AK that won't break the bank.
    1) Go on Gunbroker Buy a numbers-matching Romanian AK kit with original barrel dated pre-1980 if possible (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318623014)
    2) Send the kit to 7.62LLC (http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ge...-awesome-ak-work-recommended-7-62llc-com.html)

Or if you really want a nice AK and have a little extra money, replace step one with this:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319289234

-Thirtycal

15. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

That cutout looks like dog doodoo.

Keith

16. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

590 has some good info here. However, as a reformed AK guy I would recommend the Sig 556 line of rifles. All the good stuff of the AK and more...way more.

17. 590

I would have not been happy with that as well. I personally would have contacted Rifle Dynamics about it. If you read the thread to the end Jim Fuller does respond.

18. 590

The Sig 556 is another good choice. If you going with a 556 I would purchase one in 5.56. The 556R doesn't like to run steel case ammo. On of the reason to purchase a 556R would be cheaper ammo.

[video=youtube;nrObcZb_CCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrObcZb_CCI[/video]

19. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

If you have the money, get an Arsenal.... SGL-21 or step it up a notch and get something that has the second type of cool..... SLR-101s. I have a SLR and a M10. I like my AKm to be made from new parts and made in the East like the YouTube vid said. If you are lucky, you can still get a "cheaper" AK that is a good quality AK like my M10 but good luck because now days in my experience, the gun stores can't keep AK rifles in stock.
    Spend the money and get a good quality... I promise you, you will not regret it!