JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whats the better brands for the money?

Is a Russian AKM the best?

Whats the best, most reliable one for the money?

I guess most importantly which ones should I AVOID?

Also are the mags interchangeable brand to brand?

Thanks! Sorry, I know I just posted similar thread for AR-15 but I am just trying to get as much good info about both before I make my decision. Without stirring up the Wasps nest with the AR vs AK guys lol

I had a WASR 10/63 that I got for a decent price. WASR 10's are usually slightly cheaper, just watch for excessive magazine wobble, make sure it accepts double stacks, and make sure the front sight isn't canted. Other than that I think most AK's are about as reliable as they come. You might want to watch out for some of the sporter models that only accept specific 10 round mags.

a chrome lined or stellite barrel is a plus - they will last nearly forever and are a bit more resistant to any corrosive ammo you might put through it - it doesn't mean that you don't have to clean it after using corrosive but it will give you a touch of insurance. In general an AK is one of the most reliable "black rifle" out there and is forgiving in the mud, muck, and sand. As blk04specv said above you do want to make sure it takes standard AK mags and not the single stack ones. I tend to like the early Chinese AKs and the Russian ones but all of them are reliable.

+1 to everything already said. I have two Romanian WASR 10/63 AKM's. One I bought NIB and I gotta say it rocks the "ten ring" for an AK. The fit and finish were pretty decent, but I upgraded to poly furniture, and a side-folding ACE stock. While standing unsupported, I dumped a 30 round mag into approx a 6" circle in under 15 seconds @ 100-yds. using iron sights... That's good enough for "social work". ;)

The other WASR 10/63 I got used, from a member here in a trade transaction. The front sight was ever so slightly canted, but was still sighted in. Being OCD like I am, I fixed it easily enough. That one has all original Romy wood furniture with the front "dong" foregrip that I have yet to sand down and refinish in "Russian Red". It shoots just fine as well.

The other two "AK's" that I have are Romanian Draco "pistols". One of them I legally converted into a SBR, and the other is all original in pistol form. I haven't really shot them too much yet, but the fit and finish on them is excellent.

You used to be able to get a NIB WASR 10/63 or a Draco for around $400-$450 about a year ago... I reckon that prices have gone up a bit since then, but there are still deals to be had out there. Unless you are serious about "collecting", (and if you are just starting out) I don't suggest you drop $1,200+ on a Russian Saiga or Bulgy Aresanal AKM unless you are certain that the AK pattern is the rifle for you. For around half the price you can still get the same shooting results with a WASR 10/63.

Just my opinion. ;)

Arsenal is a very good way to go. Rifle Dynamics Rifle Dynamics 07 FFL/SOT - Las Vegas | Home and Krebs Custom Welcome to Krebs Custom - The Ultimate Expression of System Kalashnikov are the top shelf builders. Some of the finest Ak's. Bulgarian Circle 10 mags are good to go. You can never go wrong with military surplus mags. Alot of people seem to have good results with the US Palm mags as well. I have never used them myself.

There are more budget Ak's but you need to look them over very good before buying.

If you want some thing fun & cheap you can go with a WASR. Just inspect it good. Front sites are the most common issue.
I've had the same Mak-90 for almost 20 years. It runs like a champ. My other AK is an Arsenal, I love it.
If you have the budget & want a professional grade weapon Rifle Dynamics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have any custom AK builders in the NW? It seems like the market could stand to take up some of Fuller's slack (year waiting list) and basically provide the same service he does to his production rifles--an overall tuneup, new gas block, refinish, a few aftermarket parts, cut/crown and compensator.

Do we have any custom AK builders in the NW? It seems like the market could stand to take up some of Fuller's slack (year waiting list) and basically provide the same service he does to his production rifles--an overall tuneup, new gas block, refinish, a few aftermarket parts, cut/crown and compensator.

Blackwell Industries http://blackwellindustries.com/
If a local shop had AK's like this in stock would people be interested in buying them off the shelf?

I recognized Jim's outstanding work from the video.

jimfuller1.jpg

<broken link removed>

To the OP: Here's a good way to do it if you want a nice AK that won't break the bank.
1) Go on Gunbroker Buy a numbers-matching Romanian AK kit with original barrel dated pre-1980 if possible (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318623014)
2) Send the kit to 7.62LLC (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/7-62llc-awesome-ak-work-recommended-7-62llc-com.94444/)

Or if you really want a nice AK and have a little extra money, replace step one with this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319289234

-Thirtycal

jimfuller1.jpg

<broken link removed>

To the OP: Here's a good way to do it if you want a nice AK that won't break the bank.
1) Go on Gunbroker Buy a numbers-matching Romanian AK kit with original barrel dated pre-1980 if possible (Romanian AK47 AK-47 G parts kit 7.62 not Russian : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com)
2) Send the kit to 7.62LLC (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/7-62llc-awesome-ak-work-recommended-7-62llc-com.94444/)

Or if you really want a nice AK and have a little extra money, replace step one with this:
BULGARIAN AK 74 SIDE FOLDING PARTS KIT : AK47 Parts at GunBroker.com

-Thirtycal

I would have not been happy with that as well. I personally would have contacted Rifle Dynamics about it. If you read the thread to the end Jim Fuller does respond.

OK if everyone is done thrashing my work I'll say a few words.
I know this was not done to our normal standards part of this reason is my eyesight. Over the last year I have lost 80% of the vision in my right eye and 30% of my left eye due to cataracts. This was the last cut-in I did before the eye surgery I just had on my right eye. And yes we are way behind because I had all but quit working on things like this due to my vision issues. The customer was upset about the time so I made the decision to do the cuts and now I will forever pay for it on the internet. I should have waited until after the eye surgery but in an attempt to serve the customer I didn't and made the choice to proceed. Bad Call

One thing that has not been mentioned here is my offers to the customer to either repair or refund part of his bill. When the customer picked up the gun nothing was said until after his post here where in the begining he was happy with the gun. Then once people started voicing thier opinion on the sidefolder cuts the customer sent us a very rude and vulgar email.

Unlike others, I will admit when I screw up like I did here, I was cutting these trunions into fixed stocks before there were ever any US recievers available for them with hundreds of happy customers. But I screw up one job and people want to pile on.

And to all who have spent hours perfecting there own sidefolder installs I salute you for the fine work performed but if you try to charge a customer what it actually costs to cosmetically weld and clean up old engraving like that they would scream. It would seem that the more we grow the more people want to find fault with us and if they get the opportunity they jump all over it.

I sent the customer another email this AM (before seeing this thread) offering to fix the issues in 2 weeks or less or a partial refund what ever he would like, so it's not like we don't care here or are avoiding it. Of the hundereds of cut-ins I did in the last 2 years this one was bad but I have made an effort to fix the problem.

I'm not trying to justify my mistakes here, as a matter of fact I own it and have certianly learned something from it. I just think that people should get both sides of the story and there's much more to this one than what has been said.

Jim Fuller

AZG,
I sincerley apoligize for the issues on your S-12 and for our messed up communications/delays ect...
As we have grown it has been a learning experience everyday. If I had all the answers there would be no wait and everything would be perfect.

The offer still stands to fix or refund.
Jim

590 has some good info here. However, as a reformed AK guy I would recommend the Sig 556 line of rifles. All the good stuff of the AK and more...way more.

The Sig 556 is another good choice. If you going with a 556 I would purchase one in 5.56. The 556R doesn't like to run steel case ammo. On of the reason to purchase a 556R would be cheaper ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the money, get an Arsenal.... SGL-21 or step it up a notch and get something that has the second type of cool..... SLR-101s. I have a SLR and a M10. I like my AKm to be made from new parts and made in the East like the YouTube vid said. If you are lucky, you can still get a "cheaper" AK that is a good quality AK like my M10 but good luck because now days in my experience, the gun stores can't keep AK rifles in stock.
Spend the money and get a good quality... I promise you, you will not regret it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top