JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And the last bolt action issued to main line troops.

If you're headed for a muddy battlefield though......

I shot mine just last week.
IMG-5660.jpg

IMG-5669.jpg
IMG-5657.jpg
IMG-5932.jpg
I have trouble with sharply focusing on the front sight due to "bad" eye sight (old age sucks). So, only 25 yards is enough for me. And, I saved the real brass cartridges. The 7.62 Nato spec ammo was not as accurate. And, I haven't reloaded for it, YET.

Actually, I prefer a "cock on open". Mauser type of rifle.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Ishapore has a long history with making military firearms.

Last Edited:
I'm sure you are correct, sir. what I know about Lee-Enfields could be writ large upon the eyelash of an angel.
Ah no worries. There's about a million different tweaks that were made to the platform over it's 100+ years of life. The MkI SMLEs are just a little different sights, nosecap, handguards, a sliding charger guide instead of the bridge, and some other minor details. Most of the ones in the US are from the batch sold to the Irish Free State in 1922, ones that don't come from that batch run a high premium.

All the GB rifles linked went for insane $$. Got one?

No I didn't go for any of them. I wasn't prepared to drop $1k+. I'll probably start off with something more entry level, like an Arisaka or Swedish M96 in the $5-600 range and go from there. I'd love an SMLE at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Look at GB again. There is an Ishy no, in 303, and also a ishy 2A1 rifle in 7.62x51. Both are under 600 now and although neither is as pretty as the ones you looked at before , they would likely be workable and a good project .

Here is my Ishy, how it started and how I sold it later when I got my lithgow. The ones on GB are in one piece at least!

C871BD72-A87F-44EE-B710-F4D80FBAD0F8.jpeg
545936EF-8B2A-4076-AFC5-D5BA1BEE4B87.jpg
No I didn't go for any of them. I wasn't prepared to drop $1k+. I'll probably start off with something more entry level, like an Arisaka or Swedish M96 in the $5-600 range and go from there. I'd love an SMLE at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Look at GB again. There is an Ishy no, in 303, and also a ishy 2A1 rifle in 7.62x51. Both are under 600 now and although neither is as pretty as the ones you looked at before , they would likely be workable and a good project .

Here is my Ishy, how it started and how I sold it later when I got my lithgow. The ones on GB are in one piece at least!

View attachment 759514
View attachment 759515

Looks great. I'm definitely still monitoring them. Looking at SMLE's started me on a pretty serious milsurp kick. Bad news for my wallet...

Last Edited:
I know of a local gun-show FFL who has several. I don't remember exactly what, but I remember seeing them at the local gun shows. I called him and he said he still has them, but wouldn't be able to dig them out until the next show at the end of the month. I don't remember prices, but I think most of them were way under $1k. PM me if you want his contact info.

There were times when I was waiting for my dream gun and passed by the "others". Same thing happened with girls too. And THAT wasn't always the smart move. Mind you that I'm not saying to give up.....IF.....you really want that No 1 MkIII*. But well.....

Enfield #4 .303 Caliber Bolt Action Rifle - NRA Surplus Good Condition - C & R Eligible

AND......Me......I'd rather purchase something like a surplus firearm, AFTER I see it up close. BUT, for the right money.....I could make a compromise.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Inspecting the No 4

Last Edited:
The last time my son was in town visiting (?Dec 2018). We ran across this "sporterized" Ishapore 2A1.
IMG-0723.jpg
IMG-0724.jpg
IMG-0726.jpg
IMG-0727.jpg
IMG-0728.jpg

IIRC.....it was under $500 (maybe $450)? I passed. Because, I had only a little knowledge. And well, it just didn't look RIGHT. To me.

Mind you that.....I'm not saying.....that it can't be a fun or interesting rifle for someone else. A little cheaper.....and I might have taken it home.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....and there is "a thing" about Target/Match No 4 re-barreled rifles in .308 Win.

Last Edited:

$500 plus shipping. She's a beauty. If I didn't have one already, i would pick her up..