JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you look for when choosing a bank/credit union. I was with BofA ever since my dad opened me up a savings account when I was a kid but then it was Seafirst bank.

I just had a falling out with them. The refused to cash a check for me because it was written to Cris. Now the name on my account is Christopher and BofA said they can not cash it because even though its a similar name it is not correct. My last name is Bzdel, not common at all. So they think Cris Bzdel and Christopher Bzdel are not the same person. All checks I typical get are to Chris because I never go by Christopher and they never have a problem cashing those :huh:

Anyway I consider this to be B.S.

So I need a new bank, any reason to choose a credit union over a bank? and what makes one establishment better than another?

Thanks!

there are sources of bank ratings available online. I think bankrate.com has a link to one. So one selection criteria would be bank strength - 5 star, 1 star, whatever. You want a strong bank that will survive. Another criteria I used was TARP money or not. We jumped from BofA to USBank last year. Credit Unions - you have the same concers as to how financially sound they are. Also - fees the banks charge, interest on savings (yeah laugh), etc.

Runaway from BofA as fast as you can and don't look back. Thats what I did. Try a local credit union.

Good advise....BofA sucks, dropped them and US Bank :s0155:

I have a great relationship with Wells Fargo and Onpoint CU, both of them appreciate the business and waive the junk fees.
Find a bank near your home walk in and interview them; tell them what you like a dislike ask them how they would handle it and what's your recourse is if you don't like something.

Good luck.....

BECU has been treating me right for years. No stupid add on fees, nice low rate on my credit card, I have never had a check send back due to it being written to my nickname versus my given name.... How lame can a bank be?

Have one 'big bank' (its worth it IMO...) and a local one. Have a few bucks of each check direct deposited in the secondary one & you'll find yourself a nice little surprise every few months for vacations, a new 'toy' or whatever...new tires?
My 2c

Why not just create a secondary account at the local bank to squirrel money away?

The big banks take that 2 cents you have and give you back about .7 after the fees it takes to hold an account. Maybe I exaggerate but you know what I mean. :)

With BECU, I have a savings account for the family and one for my little boys college fund. A secondary checking account if I need to do a wire transfer, all have separate account numbers and no getting ripped off with the the hidden fees for not having a minimum balance, talking to a real person, etc.

I can transfer between them at will which means no visiting the bank(s), an ATM, anything other than the computer.

I was hosed at BofA years ago.
Went to OSU Credit union. Never been happier.

I too would recommend that your seek out a good stable credit union. You will avoid the lions share of all the hidden and non-hidden fees to pay for their massive corporate structure. Credit Unions are owned by the members and once you establish your account you will have access to auto and other installment credit.

The only downside is a more limited ATM sites and possibly less online banking capability.

I use a CU and have since 1979 (they say, I think it's longer than that), my account number is only three digits, that really confuses the new tellers. I was in a branch a couple weeks ago, they teller called the branch manager who came out and thanked me. I think he was younger than my account was old!!
Anyway, I'd sure look into a CU although you're kind of stuck with something like BOA if you travel much!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top