JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The question that you are asking is honestly, too general in nature for good responses.
If you could narrow it down some, great advice will be easier to come by.
1. Rifle or Shotgun
2. What would you like to do with them. Target, hunting, Trap/Skeet, general plinking, budget

You get the idea and hope this helps narrow down the field a bit. Ed

The question that you are asking is honestly, too general in nature for good responses.
If you could narrow it down some, great advice will be easier to come by.
1. Rifle or Shotgun
2. What would you like to do with them. Target, hunting, Trap/Skeet, general plinking, budget

You get the idea and hope this helps narrow down the field a bit. Ed

+1

The rifle part is a much harder question to answer. You can purchase anything from a very cheap 91/30 up to a sub MOA rifle. Once you know what you are looking to do with the rifle you'll need to narrow down the caliber and go from there. Rifle purchasing is more involved than purchasing a handgun/shotgun.

As for the shotgun side. You can't really go wrong with either a Mossburg 500 or Remington 870 in 12 gauge. Either can me adjusted to fit any role you choose.

My bad. Best bet would be general plinking. It seems most shooters own an AR which I would like to as well at some point. Money is tight at the moment though. Thanks for the response to my very vague post. haha

I always recommend new shooters start with a .22lr rifle. Very little recoil so you can practice the fundamentals without developing a flinch and extremely cheap to feed so you can practice a lot.

What is your budget? If you are on a low budget, I'd recommend either a savage (.22lr bolt gun) or a ruger 10/22 (.22lr auto), and if you have a higher budget maybe something like a CZ-452 (.22lr bolt gun) or one of the lulzy tacticool semi autos like the S&W M&P15-22.

If you don't want a .22lr (already have decent experience shooting), then definitely get a modern semi-auto rifle in an intermediate cartridge like an AK, AR-15, or something similar. They are loads of fun and if you are diligent about it, you can do pretty much all the training you can do with a .22lr with dry fire practice.

For a shotgun? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are standards in the pump industry. They come in various configurations for different uses like hunting or home defense. If you can afford it, definitely get an 870 Police (rather than express) or Mossberg 590.

My bad. Best bet would be general plinking. It seems most shooters own an AR which I would like to as well at some point. Money is tight at the moment though. Thanks for the response to my very vague post. haha

You don't have to spend over $1000 to get a decent AR-15. CMMG has bargain bin M4s for $650 (with chrome lining, without it they are $600 but who wants that?)
<broken link removed>

Also, I believe one of the forum members (coctailer?) has a bunch of del-ton AR-15s with moe furniture for sale in his store for pretty cheap.

Thanks spengo! That's good info. I've done a fair amount of rifle shooting. A .22 isn't a bad idea tough, the fact that ammo is really cheap compared to bigger calibers is a big plus. I've Shot an AK, M14, and a Henry pump .22 (which I loved) I have yet to shoot a shotgun though.

A .22 is a great way to have a lot of fun without breaking the bank on ammo costs. There are used guns for sale here on this board,but be aware you are suppposed to be a resident of the sellers' state to purchase. new guns are nicer of course,but a good used .22 or shotgun will last for years and years.
The cheapest savage .22 auto is one to avoid.the price is very low,and they are semi accurate,but the trigger is horrible
Ruger's 10-22 will run forever,so will Marlin's model 60,and they both are pretty affordable.
I put a red dot scope on my Ruger and it's a hoot to plink with...just point and click so to speak.

Welcome to a great forum !! stick around and ask all the questions you want, we don't mind a bit. !

If you like the idea of buying an AR15 you could pick up an S&W 15-.22. It's a .22 caliber AR with identical controls so that you can deck it out like an AR and shoot for cheap.

If you like the idea of buying an AR15 you could pick up an S&W 15-.22. It's a .22 caliber AR with identical controls so that you can deck it out like an AR and shoot for cheap.

That's a great idea actually. Get two birds one stone kinda deal. Saving money on ammo is always a bonus. Specially when it comes to range fees.

That's a great idea actually. Get two birds one stone kinda deal. Saving money on ammo is always a bonus. Specially when it comes to range fees.

I picked one up because I can't afford to shoot .223 often. Planning to put the same type of optics and accessories that I want on a .556 so that I can do scenario training with the .22. That way I can afford to train as much as I'd like without too much disconnect.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top