JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good Choice! Let us know how it runs. I would put 4 or 5 boxes of factory stuff through it to break it in and "Season" the barrel, then start runnin the hand loads and see how she runs! Should be a lot of fun, and sore shoulder:D

If you decide this stuff is too hot or for some other reason do not wish to run it, my offer still stands, v0lcome13sn0w and I will dissemble them and trade you, or cash you out for the components!

I find the one I have with the wood stock to be very shootable and not hardly more strain on my body then a .308win. I have some extra mass though so I suppose your age, weight, condition and how heavy the rifle is will determine how hard it hits.

If you buy an old wood one then you can cut the stock down (or not if your tall) and add a limb saver to it to help with the recoil.

Ok....so I took the time to look up the reloading data in my Hornady Reloading Manual 9th edition.

In particular I looked up 165 gr. bullet when used with IMR 4831.....under 30-06 Springfield, there was data.
Low.....50.6 grains
Max......59.5 grains

So, from the photo......165 grain bullet with 4831 powder (note: no IMR in frt of the numbers) the photo (post #25) says 60 grains.

Ok, ok, ok.......ME..........I wouldn't use it in my M1. And, I'd be very cautious if I used that ammo in any other firearms.

And, BTW....... I didn't find a load with IMR 4831 in the 30-06 specific M1 Garand loading section at all.

So, unless I can find a manual with the specific load data......and it could/might/maybe happen.......well, I wouldn't use it in my M1 until that happens.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I know I'm late to the thread but thought I'd throw in my two cents. I see photos of two sets of load data:

60gr 4831 with a 165 gr. bullet
58gr 4350 with a 150 gr. bullet

The first load was my old standby for many, many years in a 30-06. There are different version of 4831 though. I started out in the late 80's with a 20lb jug of old WWII surplus 4831, and 60gr of that compressed under a 165gr SP was a good safe load in my old Rem 700. If it's IMR4831, I'd say that it's an awful stiff load to use with caution. 4831 is generally considered too slow for the 30-06 but it's what I used because it was super cheap and I had a bunch.

I used IMR4350 with both 150s and 165s. Don't remember exactly how much but it was really close to that. By the book that's pretty much max, might be totally fine in one gun but a bit too hot in another (assuming he didn't get drunk and accidentally use 2400).

Whatever you do do not use them in an M1 Garand. Both of those powders are way too slow for the M1 and almost guaranteed to damage it, unless you install an adjustable gas plug.

Your decision to keep and shoot them is good, if you trust the guy who loaded them. Interesting that liability is mentioned regarding selling or giving away reloads. I really don't see a liability issue so long as it's made clear that they are "component value only". I just bought a couple hundred rounds of 40 year old .45 LC reloads at a gun show. The seller made clear that they were old reloads. I bought them cheap with a handshake and they are already pulled apart. I've pulled apart thousands of rounds over the year, with both kinetic and collet pullers. It's really not so bad once you have a rhythm.

If I ever sold or gave away reloads, I would mark boldly across the box "Reloads- for components only- do not shoot", maybe take a photo of the boxes, and sleep very well at night.

Once you get a rifle let me know if you want to pull any apart for inspection or want to shoot a few through a chronograph, if you don't reload or have a chronograph. I'm not too far north of you and could help you out.

Well, that shows they are probably good loads in a known rifle. I would not be afraid to shoot them off in a strong bolt action rifle. Thanks again for your input.

Probably, but they're definitely not light loads. A load that's worked up to a safe maximum in one rifle might be over maximum in another. It's not really even the strength of the rifle so much as the tolerances. A weaker action rifle with a looser chamber and long throat might safely shoot a load that would be too hot in a strong bolt action target rifle with a precise, tight chamber and short throat.

That is one of the dangers of someone else's reloads; Even if they were loaded carefully and correctly, what was fine in their gun might not always be so in yours. I would personally be tempted to try them if they were mine and I had known and trusted the one who loaded them, but the caveat is that you are still taking a risk if you do.

I may as well buy a 30.06 just to fire them off. I suppose free ammo is something good.

If you loaded them shoot them, if not disassemble and sell the cases and bullets, use the powder to fertilize your flower bed or set it off somewhere safe and watch it burn.
All you need is a kinetic bullet puller (about $ 15 or $20) and a solid surface to smack with it and something non static to store the powder in. Sell the cases in the boxes they came in, sorted by head stamp, the buyers will appreciate that. Sack up the bullets and if possible sort them by type and weight, for the same reason. Loaders will be looking for bullets that are all the same, unless you put a cheap "Bulk" price on the unsorted stuff. I'm pretty sure they will sell faster if sized and sorted, and you can ask more for them that way. Do a search online to see what used cases are selling for and same for the pulled bullets.
Gabby

Fellow out of Idaho has an AR chambered in 30-06 up for sale now.

That would be interesting as all heck!

...mind that I (obviously) have no idea on wether your rounds would be safe, or not in one...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top