JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went through this and can't recommend the press based bullet puller enough. Also, the unknown powder makes outstanding fertilizer. My lawn looked great all summer long.

30.06 reloads.jpg Every box has the reload ingredients on the box. Would it be safe to take one apart and see if the scale agrees with the powder. If it does, fire off the rounds?

View attachment 421362Every box has the reload ingredients on the box. Would it be safe to take one apart and see if the scale agrees with the powder. If it does, fire off the rounds?

It's certainly safe to pull the bullet check the powder weight, but unless you can visually confirm the powder inside is the same as what's listed you're taking a lot on faith. You'd have to know what 4831 looks like. Also consider where the load lies on the power curve of the recipe. If they are loaded hot or too light, I would steer clear. If you are tempted to shoot any on faith without checking and knowing on each one, you are taking a big risk. In addition, you can't know the condition of their brass, if it has any thin spots at the base waiting to blow out, unless you pick-check them. Lastly, having learned this the hard way, other people's reloads may be neck sized only, making chambering in your rifle difficult. If the COAL is set long to maximize their rifle's accuracy, you may have a kaboom waiting to happen if the bullet is engaged in your rifling on firing.

It's certainly safe to pull the bullet check the powder weight, but unless you can visually confirm the powder inside is the same as what's listed you're taking a lot on faith. You'd have to know what 4831 looks like. Also consider where the load lies on the power curve of the recipe. If they are loaded hot or too light, I would steer clear. If you are tempted to shoot any on faith without checking and knowing on each one, you are taking a big risk. In addition, you can't know the condition of their brass, if it has any thin spots at the base waiting to blow out, unless you pick-check them. Lastly, having learned this the hard way, other people's reloads may be neck sized only, making chambering in your rifle difficult. If the COAL is set long to maximize their rifle's accuracy, you may have a kaboom waiting to happen if the bullet is engaged in your rifling on firing.

Yes, still scary. I do love my hands and eyes.

So basically even if the rounds weigh out as advertised, you're still dealing with a reloader who felt it was ok to cook up unpublished recipes. While it would seem safe to use a lighter projectile with a bit more powder, these rounds are loaded to push the velocity to near max. Wouldn't take the risk.

So basically even if the rounds weigh out as advertised, you're still dealing with a reloader who felt it was ok to cook up unpublished recipes. While it would seem safe to use a lighter projectile with a bit more powder, these rounds are loaded to push the velocity to near max. Wouldn't take the risk.

So, guess the question is can I give them to someone without taking a risk??

View attachment 421362Every box has the reload ingredients on the box. Would it be safe to take one apart and see if the scale agrees with the powder. If it does, fire off the rounds?

Really, anyone can provide you information, but only you will be able to decide what is best for your to do. Some people will say adamantly never to shoot reloaded ammo that you haven't personally reloaded. To me this is rather funny because they will shoot factory ammo without a thought and I personally have experienced squib loads from factory ammo.

Then there is also people who will say, if you know the reloader don't worry about it if you trust their competency. (not saying that everyone can't make mistakes, but ultimately you have to decide what is what is best for you.)

I know for me, I am sitting on hundreds of rounds to as much as a thousand possibly of .270, .308 and 30-06 that my grandfather loaded and I wouldn't bat an eye about shooting them because I know how competent of a reloader he was, only reason why I haven't shot them yet is because I haven't decided if I want to shoot them as expensive plinker rounds, or pull the bullets and use the components with powder that I would prefer to use instead of what was used to load them.

You could go through a series of checks to determine if the ammo was all loaded most likely within specs and then enjoy shooting it yourself, but that process still wouldn't tell you 100% for certain if it was all loaded right. The label on the box could be wrong, the wrong type of power could have been used for a few. You just never know and ultimately it depends on how much you trust the competence of the reloader. I personally would never buy reloaded ammo and I don't believe in good conscious you could sell or even give away the ammo that you have acquired, not to mention the potential laws regarding the sale of reloaded ammunition or the potential civil consequences if ammo you gave away blew up on someone.

Long story short, if I were in your shoes I would be tempted to buy a bolt 30-06 and enjoy shooting those rounds if you felt they were safe to shoot. Otherwise I would pull all the bullets while watching tv and sell or use the components. The last option if you just want the ammo off your hands is to dispose of them via taking them to a police station or shooting range. A lot of ranges will take unwanted ammo and they will dispose of it for you (you don't throw ammo in the garbage, very careless IMO)

Really, anyone can provide you information, but only you will be able to decide what is best for your to do. Some people will say adamantly never to shoot reloaded ammo that you haven't personally reloaded. To me this is rather funny because they will shoot factory ammo without a thought and I personally have experienced squib loads from factory ammo.

Then there is also people who will say, if you know the reloader don't worry about it if you trust their competency. (not saying that everyone can't make mistakes, but ultimately you have to decide what is what is best for you.)

I know for me, I am sitting on hundreds of rounds to as much as a thousand possibly of .270, .308 and 30-06 that my grandfather loaded and I wouldn't bat an eye about shooting them because I know how competent of a reloader he was, only reason why I haven't shot them yet is because I haven't decided if I want to shoot them as expensive plinker rounds, or pull the bullets and use the components with powder that I would prefer to use instead of what was used to load them.

You could go through a series of checks to determine if the ammo was all loaded most likely within specs and then enjoy shooting it yourself, but that process still wouldn't tell you 100% for certain if it was all loaded right. The label on the box could be wrong, the wrong type of power could have been used for a few. You just never know and ultimately it depends on how much you trust the competence of the reloader. I personally would never buy reloaded ammo and I don't believe in good conscious you could sell or even give away the ammo that you have acquired, not to mention the potential laws regarding the sale of reloaded ammunition or the potential civil consequences if ammo you gave away blew up on someone.

Long story short, if I were in your shoes I would be tempted to buy a bolt 30-06 and enjoy shooting those rounds if you felt they were safe to shoot. Otherwise I would pull all the bullets while watching tv and sell or use the components. The last option if you just want the ammo off your hands is to dispose of them via taking them to a police station or shooting range. A lot of ranges will take unwanted ammo and they will dispose of it for you (you don't throw ammo in the garbage, very careless IMO)

Great advice, thanks. All of the ammo was loaded by Floyd in Eugene. I'm sure he is dead now and I've had the stuff for 10 years. Just wondering if anyone has heard of him.

I tend to agree with American on many of his points. I too have experienced a squib with factory ammo when I was pushed for time and bought rather than rolled my own. I didn't read the entire thread, but I am pretty catious about who's reloads I put down the tube. I trust my own and my hunting partner's loads after hunting with him for 30 years.... and sometimes I question my hunting partners ;)

For heavens sake, please don't take them to the police station for disposal. If you want to give them away, I will take them and break them down and reuse the components except the powder. I have a press mounted collet bullet puller and a grandson who works for ice cream :)

I'd just give it away unless you want to put the work into dissassembling the components. Which, is a lot of work. :D

I'd just give it away unless you want to put the work into dissassembling the components. Which, is a lot of work. :D

Yes, but giving it away could put me into a law suit. I have not decided what to do. I may just buy a strong bolt type action rifle and fire them off. I'm 99.9% sure they are correct.

Yes, but giving it away could put me into a law suit. I have not decided what to do. I may just buy a strong bolt type action rifle and fire them off. I'm 99.9% sure they are correct.
That's a hell of a sore shoulder, or many many years of shooting 30.06. :D

Subjective ... Informative ... Point Of View ...

Shooting only factory ammo hopefully eliminates the ongoing human factor. Shooting ONLY your own hand loads hopefully only punishes the one person responsible for being at times very human and making a mistake.

Shooting other peoples hand loads re enters the human factor. Trust is fine but accuracy and safety is more important. Or stated otherwise paranoia in small doses usually is the best policy. My old age point of view only.

On a kinda related subject about 28 years ago I build a very nice AR15 CAR semi auto replica for a gentleman back East. He blew up the CAR. Admitted to me he got very drunk and mistook 2400 for 748. 25.0 whole grains of it.

The AR15 CAR lasted about 12 rounds. He acknowledged the huge muzzle flash, increased recoil and the huge over function. Twelve rounds. The brass went at least 30 feet. Finally a case separated and welded everything up.

Blew out the magazine. Broke the mag catch arm. Melted the bolt head into the barrel extension. Cracked the barrel extension. I sent the top back to the barrel maker. It took a big Band Saw to section the whole top end.

They placed a section of the blown up top end on a nice walnut board with an inscription of what happens when you drink and hand load 25.0 grains of 2400. I wonder what happened to that award. Long ago far away. :(

Equal paragraph length attempts silly but fun.

You've been given multiple options, including folk willing to take them off of your hands for components.

I'd take them, but we don't have anything in the caliber. Would only be worthwhile to me to take down and re-use both the brass & bullets...and I don't even reload rifle (yet).

You'll just have to decide what to do with them is all.

It'd be a shame to let them go to waste though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top