JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
My main source of online ammo purchases is MidwayUS and I always have had a great experince with them. They have always shipped fast and the ammo I purchased from them was always top notch. However, I am now having an issue with the latest ammo order. They shipped me 3 boxes of wrong Federal 308 Win ammo. I paid for power-shock brass case ammo, but they sent me steel case power-shock ammo. I shot few rounds of the ammo, and the accuracy was not even close for the accuracy I was getting from Federal Power-Shock ammo with brass cases. I contacted MidwayUS about the order, but they told me they do not take ammo back and can't do anything about it. They told me to contact Federal, but Federal manufacturer told me, since I purchased ammo from MidwayUS and they sent me wrong ammo, I should solve the issue with MidwayUS. I do not blame Federal for this issue since I purchased the ammo from MidwayUS and they did not ship me the ammo that I paid for. I do not know what to do?

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

If nothing else, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company. Depending on the amount, it's likely that they will refund you right away while they investigate, and you'll likely win (based on my experiences as a banker).

You may get your midway account suspended for doing a chargeback, but, there's a good chance they don't have their internal systems talking that well to each other and life just goes on as normal.

They are 110% at fault for packing the wrong sku, there is no way that it's on Federal.

If nothing else, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company. Depending on the amount, it's likely that they will refund you right away while they investigate, and you'll likely win (based on my experiences as a banker).

You may get your midway account suspended for doing a chargeback, but, there's a good chance they don't have their internal systems talking that well to each other and life just goes on as normal.

They are 110% at fault for packing the wrong sku, there is no way that it's on Federal.
Thanks for the input. I wrote to MidwayUS an email and will wait to see if they reply. If not, I will dispute a charge on my CC. My 308win bolt-action rifles shoots much more accurately brass than steel and that was a reason I only buy brass cases. Just to make one correction, the ammo is Vital-Shock, not Power-Shock as I originally wrote.

The only sticking point I can see is that you shot some of the ammo. If Midway offers to make it right, you may only receive the same number of boxes of brass that you have remaining of complete boxes of steel. I would also imagine that they would want the steel ammo back, but may not accept it back due to liability. I can't imagine they would resell any returned ammo under any circumstances. If I were Midway, I'd probably eat the cost and send you brass ammo and chalk it up to a PR expense. Alternatively, I'd propose a partial refund and have you keep the steel cased stuff. In that scenario, I'd offer a coupon code for your next ammo order as well.

Tough situation given the products involved, but I can see why they couldn't handle it the same as a sling or bipod, for instance.

Will see how MidwayUS replies. They were not helpful through their online chat, but I wrote them a detailed email, so hopefully they will fix the problem. I would be fine with a partial refund or some form of gift card. I buy stuff from them all the time as they are my main source of ammo.

Can you post links to what you purchased? Vs links of what they sent? I'd be curious to see the listings.

I am at work now, but will take some pictures of the actual ammo that I received when I get home this evening. Here is a pic of the brass ammo that I ordered (Federal Manufacturer Part # P308V). They shipped me steel cartridges Federal Manufacturer Number P308H.

20210422_132943.jpg

I am at work now, but will take some pictures of the actual ammo that I received when I get home this evening. Here is a pic of the brass ammo that I ordered (Federal Manufacturer Part # P308V). They shipped me steel cartridges Federal Manufacturer Number P308H.

View attachment 868029
Thanks, I only asked because, 1 I didn't know they made it in steel case, 2 sometimes these dealers screw up the pictures though sku is correct.

The deal was pretty much done when you fired the rounds. Legally speaking, use is acceptance. Since they would not accept it back, your recourse now is with their customer service folks. Have you left a review of the product or service on their website? No business likes negative reviews, so will probably work with you on this. If it is not accurate, you can pull the remaining rounds down and use different cases or cork the cases up with different bullets. Maybe ask them for a merchandise credit toward future purchases.

View attachment 868029
That SKU is nickel plated brass.

I've never seen any sort of hunting ammo in steel, but I've not seen everything.

EDIT: https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/barnes-tsx/11-P308H.html

Pretty sure that it's nickel plated and not steel. Put a magnet on it.
I didn't think of this, but after searching the SKU. That's what he received. Nickel plated Barnes loaded 165 grain ammo. So they did in fact ship him the wrong ammo. They shipped him the 165 instead of the 150. That can also explain the difference in accuracy, his gun might of really liked the 150s.

1619128086166.jpeg

Why not just sell it for what you paid plus your shipping charges? I can't imagine that it would take that long to unload.

If the ammo you received cost the same as the ammo you ordered, write it off as a BS lesson learned. If it costs less demand they make it right via refund. They still don't want to do the right thing, challenge the CC charge and do the BBB thing.

I was thinking you received the wrong caliber, to which the only solution would be: buy another gun for your new caliber.

But alas, that is not the case, so chargeback is the way to go here. BTW there is a time limit of 90 or 120 days depending on issuer, so don't wait too long.

-Robert

Honestly I can completely understand how a vendor might substitute nickel plated brass for the same thing in brass in good faith. If they did that for me instead of cancelling due being out of stock I'd likely be appreciative.

Honestly I can completely understand how a vendor might substitute nickel plated brass for the same thing in brass in good faith. If they did that for me instead of cancelling due being out of stock I'd likely be appreciative.
I was helping a co-worker's husband by picking up some center fire ammo at BiMart that he did not have time off to get.

When I told him I got it, he complained that he usually uses a bullet that is a little heavier. :confused:

Not EVEN the same thing as here.

The OP has a specific need, which he articulated to the vendor. Whether the substitution was deliberate, accidental, and whether the ammo would work for the OP's intended uses is not anything I would opine on.

But I do agree with Dinglenutz.

Weight, profile, load, etc are quickly becoming wish list parameters. Caliber is everything!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads