Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What to do with daily carry gun when kid inside the house?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Benny503, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

I carry Sig P238 daily and leave it in the front pant pocket. I normally remove my pant and left the gun in it. I have one and half year old boy with lots of energy that goes through everything. Last couple days the news freak me out, i did a test on my son tonite and cant believe what happen in front my eyes is a shock. I taught him not to touch my gun by pointed it out and said "no no" he waive his hand and said "no no" means he wont touch it. I emptied the gun tonight and left it on the night stand in the bed room and pretent to left the room. Few second later I saw him walk slowly to the night stand and gently touch the gun. Slowly picking it up and waiving that thing around. At this moment my heart is breaking apart. Even we told the kid "NO" and they pretend to understand it, behind us they still curious. I am worry now, I would lock up all my guns in the safe! Lock up all the ammos. But what about the daily carry gun that protect my family at home? Especially at night time, sometime my son and my wife get up without me knowing. Thanks GOD nothing happen yet..... I now worry (scare) to leave my gun on my nitestand at night time.

2. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Hood Canal Active Member

Biometric safe on nightstand. Open in seconds and secure from little hands. The news sure has been terrible!!!

Blitzkrieg, evltwn, TyPercy and 7 others like this.
  3. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had the same worry. Decided to go with a well placed bio-metric safe. You can leave it in your drawer during the day and pull it out at night and put your carry pistol in it on the nightstand. That way if you wake up one morning and forget it is there it's OK because it is locked up. Stopped keeping a round in the chamber when they are locked up as well. Had a nightmare that the kid somehow got the safe open and all he had to do was pull the trigger. Now I feel better because I know even if by some weird chain of events he somehow got that thing open, he isn't strong enough to chamber a round.

4. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

One of these:

mv500-image-1.png

Or, they're in the safe.

5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Not surprising a child that age doesn't really understand. Keep it locked up or high enough your son can't reach it. The latter won't work when he gets older.

6. Benny503

Before I got the big gun safe I owned a Stack-on biometric safe, i used to leave my handguns in there. One time My nephew went to our backyard to get his bicycle to ride to school early in the morning and it was still dark outside. My wife saw shadow in the backyard and freaked out, she ran to the bed room to wake me up I was still half sleep but adrenalline kicked in. My hand was shaking and i cant even punch in the right code, by the time I calm myself to get into the safe my nephew already left the property. I thought the bike got stole and called his house find out it was him that was in my backyard. This incident told me that when it come to emergency you can't get into the safe fast enought to retrieve your handgun.... Any thought?

7. x1hunter89

x1hunter89 gresham oregon Active Member

practice makes perfect. punch it in multiple times get your heart rate up (go for a run or something) and try and punch in the code. or a trigger lock with key may work

8. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

buggy firefox double post

TKevlar and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

At that age putting it up out of reach or not leaving it chambered should be sufficient for general safety.

I am for teaching children what a gun is and what it does at an early age, not making it into taboo and trying to hide it. Respect for and knowledge of a firearm and what it does can leave an impression on the kid (I am only at age 7 with my daughter but so far so good - she knows what guns are, she knows not to touch one unless we tell her too, and we work on safety every time we go out shooting with her). And yes, at 2 she was sitting behind me watching when I would go shooting (close enough to feel the blast and see the fire)....at 3 we had her a cricket and started working with her on keeping it pointed safely away checking the actions and safety, and eventually let her shoot it ....and we started showing her what a bullet could do to something she loved if not careful. Every time you show them a gun, you have to run through everything again (assume they have the attention span/memory of a goldfish). Bits of it stick every time.....remember what you do will stick more then what you say (actions speak louder then words, right).

You can't control them but you can try to guide their development.

(the previous has been my opinion, not meant for instruction on how to raise your child or legal advice....just my opinion and how i raise my child lol)

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Phillyfan

Maybe it is best you weren't able to get the gun out, considering how worked up you were and what the shadow turned out to be.

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Phillyfan

That's why I like bio-metric. Nothing to remember, but swipe the finger.

12. Phillyfan

Also should mention I don't doubt I would've had the exact same problem you did.

13. djthemac

djthemac eugene Member

Either carry your gun or keep it in the safe. The little guy is 1, you can expect him to grasp these concepts

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Benny503

Well he is actually a smart boy, I taught him not to touch the knife and scissor he didnt touch it till today. Maybe he did when I am and his mother is not home.

15. Benny503

I remember it was different feeling, I was nervous, cold and numb. No matter what I do to get that feeling back it would never come back.

16. Rich7944

Rich7944 Kent, Wa. Active Member

At the end of the day you are the parent and you are resposible for keeping that gun out of reach of the child. Very smart to test you child now just take the next step so you will never have to go through to horror of finding you kid lying on the ground with a hole in them from your firearm.

17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Even your dog can fire a gun in the right circumstances.. lock it up, man!

Phillyfan and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Wood Worker

Wood Worker Linn County Oregon Active Member

Have you tried just wearing your sidearm until you go to sleep long after your child has gone to sleep?
    It is your protection for you and your family after all, why on earth would you want to lay it down somewhere.

djthemac and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Rich7944

Rich7944 Kent, Wa. Active Member

I lay mine down at the end of the day also after putting on a pair of sweats. I put mine in the safe and only myself and my wife have the combo. We live in a area were we are not terribly paranoid to were we have to carry in our own house. Not everyone has to carry 24/7.

20. Mr.B

Mr.B Hippyville Active Member

EDC is either on me, or locked in the safe. HD pistol is locked in a gunvault all the time. No worries with the kiddos.