JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keep it.

Fix it as you can.

Take it to @Velzey and have an evaluation done - do what you can yourself and pay him for the rest.

Old guns with history are priceless - if not too you then it will be to whomever you pass it on to.

Hey folks,

I have a Stevens 20 gauge break-action that I've had since my youth. It's been on countless boy scout trips, hunting adventures, camps, and ranges and I think it's finally too old and worn to be fired safely.

The last time I fired the shotgun every few shells or so the action would pop open, not enough to eject the spent shell, but it shouldn't open at all. On disassembly and inspection the parts are just worn, the springs are old, and the wood stock is a little loose.

Such a shame since it's a beautiful old shotgun.

So what to do? I'm not the type of person to keep items around that no longer serve a useful purpose. A complete rebuild would cost far more than the value of the shotgun.

So what are your thoughts? How would you put an old single action out to pasture?
View attachment 573443
So when the action "pops open" upon firing, do you die a horrible death? If not, toss it in your trunk for your new "truck gun".

Interesting topic @UnionMillsNW
Of what "could be" a expensive journey.

I was told my grandpa on my dads side run a still, that exploded one day many many years later. Burned him alive.
I never met the man. I was only two years old at the time of his death.
There was a shotgun he apparently kept by the shed door, that was left to me.
If it could talk.
WH Davenport Firearms Company 12ga
Patented Oct.2.1894-Aug.11.1896 - Model 1895

I've not done a thing to it but with an oily rag now and then.
No idea if would fire, but I will not try it.
I considered seeing if it was worth the trouble to restore, but maybe it's better left as it is.

OK now. I own a 12ga that shares with me my exact birth month and the year of my birth. I am north of 65 now. I spent some time and money on it to re-purpose it recently for my shooting needs now. This was the first shot gun I ever shot as a child. I'm still shooting it today. I vote that you restore your historic shot gun. Keep those memories alive! Pops 870.JPG

I say fix it.
I have a Model 94 30/30 long rifle that my great uncle bought @ a government auction in 1912.It was being smuggled into Mexico .He paid 12 dollars for it.

When I was a child my Dad promised it to me. I am 68 now and the gun will be with me until my death :(

I have several family owned firearms and those are not for sale.
A ruger mk1 target pistol owned by a uncle who has moved on. It was the first gun I remember shooting. My grandfather left a Remington mod 12 pump 22 and a winchester mod 94 30-30. My dads browning Bar. I am simply thier care taker. I do not own those the family does. The dollar value is not much but the sentimental value is irreplaceable.

Hey folks,

I have a Stevens 20 gauge break-action that I've had since my youth. It's been on countless boy scout trips, hunting adventures, camps, and ranges and I think it's finally too old and worn to be fired safely.

The last time I fired the shotgun every few shells or so the action would pop open, not enough to eject the spent shell, but it shouldn't open at all. On disassembly and inspection the parts are just worn, the springs are old, and the wood stock is a little loose.

So what to do? I'm not the type of person to keep items around that no longer serve a useful purpose. A complete rebuild would cost far more than the value of the shotgun.

So what are your thoughts? How would you put an old single action out to pasture?
View attachment 573443
First off, nice gun.
My brother has owned a Steven 94 since he was a teenager. Good ol' gun.
Do you know if yours is a 94 or a 107, or a 9478?
Anyway , the problem you describe sounds like a worn barrel latch...and as you say, some parts are just plain worn out.
Should be a simple R&R.
If you decide to fix it (worth it, I think), Numrich would be the place to buy the parts.
Here's a couple of fix it / restoration videos that might be help, also....

...maybe not the greatest tutorial on youtube, but compared to a couple of others I've seen, this guy's instructions are the most complete.
Anyway, gives you an idea of what you're up against and a reference for you to refer back to, if you decide to tackle this project yourself.
Good luck and please do an "after" post, once you get the gun restored and repaired.

Dean

Interesting topic @UnionMillsNW
Of what "could be" a expensive journey.

I was told my grandpa on my dads side run a still, that exploded one day many many years later. Burned him alive.
I never met the man. I was only two years old at the time of his death.
There was a shotgun he apparently kept by the shed door, that was left to me.
If it could talk.
WH Davenport Firearms Company 12ga
Patented Oct.2.1894-Aug.11.1896 - Model 1895

I've not done a thing to it but with an oily rag now and then.
No idea if would fire, but I will not try it.
I considered seeing if it was worth the trouble to restore, but maybe it's better left as it is.
I believe "WH DAvenport" was one of the "brands" sold by HD Folsum, which was a seller/importer of inexpensive European arms.
None of the guns are really worth much and parts are non-existent.
I did find a scant bit of info that says the Davenport guns have not been available since 1908.
Might wanna shine it up and hang it on the wall...tell anyone who asks how you once shot Bigfoot with it, or something. :D

Dean

Hey folks,

View attachment 573443

What you are describing is fixable.

So I say get it fixed. You need to have a little extra material moved forward to the latch (peen).

Hey folks,

View attachment 573443

Could remove the firing pin and use it for safety training for kids and newbies

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews