Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

What To Do With A Shotgun Past Its Prime?

Reactions
Hey folks,

I have a Stevens 20 gauge break-action that I've had since my youth. It's been on countless boy scout trips, hunting adventures, camps, and ranges and I think it's finally too old and worn to be fired safely.

The last time I fired the shotgun every few shells or so the action would pop open, not enough to eject the spent shell, but it shouldn't open at all. On disassembly and inspection the parts are just worn, the springs are old, and the wood stock is a little loose.

Such a shame since it's a beautiful old shotgun.

So what to do? I'm not the type of person to keep items around that no longer serve a useful purpose. A complete rebuild would cost far more than the value of the shotgun.

So what are your thoughts? How would you put an old single action out to pasture?
IMG_3336.JPG

Reactions
I would try to find replacement parts and rebuild it myself or take it to Vezley or Mountain Bear and get a second opinion. Somethings to me are worth more than the dollar value. I bought my dads hunting rifle from him. He is now heavily into dementia and will probably never leave the care facility. That rifle is priceless to me because it was his and it cannot be replaced.

Mark W.

Reactions
Some thoughts.

You could sell it cheap to someone who's interested in Gunsmithing and looking for cheap projects.
You could decommission it (simply remove the firing pin) make a nice wall plaque and hang it on the wall of your man cave to honor its service.
You could hand it in at the next moron run gun buy back (their term not mine) and score a gift card to go buy something you could use (I had a .25 auto Spanish TPOS that a friend who could no longer possess a firearm dropped off here years ago. After spending 3 hours I finally got it to go click I turned it in for a $50 Gift card and filled my fuel tank and bought a couple boxes of .22LR)

Reactions
I would try to find replacement parts and rebuild it myself or take it to Vezley or Mountain Bear and get a second opinion. Somethings to me are worth more than the dollar value. I bought my dads hunting rifle from him. He is now heavily into dementia and will probably never leave the care facility. That rifle is priceless to me because it was his and it cannot be replaced.
The MountainBear Arsenal has closed for public business. I am only building my own toys and helping friends and acquaintances with their issues (i.e. no paying work, nothing left out of owners possession, for the gov monitors watching this).

That out of the way, it sounds like it has to be fixed. It has too much meaning and too many memories to simply hang on the wall. It may very well cost more than it’s monetarily worth. But the sentimental value is priceless. My suggestion is, before shooting it again, is to take is to @Velzey and have him fix the issues to make it safe to shoot again...

Good luck, I hope you get your old friend working again!

Cheers!

ZigZagZeke

Reactions
I had an old rifle that had belonged to my great grandfather. It had been through a cabin fire and somebody had removed almost all of the original finish from the metal. The butt stock was scorched and the forearm was missing. The barrel was rusted out inside. It was worth maybe $100 for parts.

$3000 later here it is. It now fires .357 Mag rounds instead of a .38 rimfire cartridge. Worth it? Hell yes!
RRB Restore - 10.jpg

Kruel J

Reactions
I had an old rifle that had belonged to my great grandfather. It had been through a cabin fire and somebody had removed almost all of the original finish from the metal. The butt stock was scorched and the forearm was missing. The barrel was rusted out inside. It was worth maybe $100 for parts.

$3000 later here it is. It now fires .357 Mag rounds instead of a .38 rimfire cartridge. Worth it? Hell yes!
View attachment 573482
I like this.

Taco_lean

Reactions
If you want to sell, for cheap, I might decomission it and give to my Father in law to hang over his mantle in CA and piss off his liberal neighbors :)

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim is fantastic! He does great work and does it in a timely manner! He reblued a Colt slide for...
    • hker71
  • Aloha Surplus
    4.00 star(s)
    Its always fun to check out the surplus stuff they have. Some is reasonably priced, some not so...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I recently sent in a project gun to Mr. Copeland to slick up an action and thread the barrel...
    • CountryGent
  • All That Glitters - Milwaukie
    5.00 star(s)
    Whenever I am in the area, I like to drop in to see what they have. Not a super big store, but...
    • trekkerpaul
  • All That Glitters - Tigard
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been going to this shop for many years. Always great customer service with an ever...
    • trekkerpaul