JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was a sheriff's deputy for 6 years, a very long time ago. The law said I was able to make a search for weapons in the immediate area of the driver. Anything that I found incidental to that search, that was illegal (drugs, etc.) could be used as a basis for an arrest. I could then make an inventory of the entire car's contents (including the trunk) if the vehicle were to be towed. I have also asked the question "May I look in your trunk" and have been told yes and no. My advice is to always say no.

Like most of us, I've got nothing to hide. So why would I say no? Because it's my right to do so. Might as well exercise my rights as much as possible, before FJB and the funked up bunch erode them completely.

When I was in law enforcement, the chances of me asking to search a vehicle of anyone on this forum would have been extremely low...approaching zero. Some of the modern, younger generation seem to ask everyone if they are on probation or parole and ask to search vehicles as a matter of routing practice. Not all, but more than in the past. In discussions with these utes, they say that asking the 78-year-old grandmother on her way to church on Sunday at 9am these questions makes it consistent when they ask the tweaker with blown out pupils, pulling out of an alley at 1am where known drug transactions occur. I just call it stupid and bad policing. (By the way, the tweaker has every right to say no...but there may be other lawful courses for officers to search their vehicle due to articulable facts given the situation.)

With the intentional push to turn everyone into Stasi; is it any wonder that the younger cops that have also been brought up with this anti freedom indoctrination would act this way regardless of what their CO's tell them?

"Respectfully decline". Or... staying within the advice to keep any response to any question you are required by law to answer to as few words as possible ... a flat "no" will suffice. ;)

"Sorry officer, the last time I said yes the guy had me sitting on a curb at the side of the road for over an hour in the middle of winter. I used to say yes, but he ruined it for the rest of you"

What's the probable cause? A turn signal out? Too fast? Too slow? No, No & No But be polite

I have a Blue striped flag on my driver side back window. Have had zero issues with any stop in 15 years (only bc I can't remember past that)

Provide you ID, registration and insurance card.

Refuse to consent to a search

State "I do NOT consent to a search of my vehicle"

No matter what they ask or state regarding a search, keep saying that. If they want to get a drug dog, keep your mouth shut other than to state that you do not consent to a search of your vehicle.

Do not answer any other questions

Do not converse with the LEO

Do not argue or interfere with or resist the LEO - comply with simple directions, such as "turn around" or "put your hands on your head".

Do not volunteer anything

I have nothing to hide, so agreeing to a search means I'm agreeing to wasting my time.
But sometimes LEOs make sure they find something, whether you put it there or not, and sometimes passengers leave things behind. Previous owners, or someone who borrows your vehicle can leave things behind too.

It is altogether better to just refuse. The LEO may find an excuse to search, but if you refuse, it may help in court later.

Don't talk to the police at all without consulting an attorney, save to identify yourself and provide legal documentation (license, registration, etc.)

Answer no other questions outside of what your immediate business is in the area if asked. Do not consent to a search, ever. You don't have to give a reason.

The officer isn't your buddy (though they may act that way); it's their job to find evidence for and build a case against you, and the deck is stacked against you already.

It's nothing personal - just the sensible thing to do. When the game is rigged, play as little of it as possible while staying out of the penalty box.

But sometimes LEOs make sure they find something, whether you put it there or not, and sometimes passengers leave things behind. Previous owners, or someone who borrows your vehicle can leave things behind too.

It is altogether better to just refuse. The LEO may find an excuse to search, but if you refuse, it may help in court later.
Did you not understand that I was refusing the search?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top