JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone,
Just sold a pistol of mine to a friend and was wondering what procedures I need to follow to make sure nothing comes back to haunt me. Is there anything I do threw the state to show the sale of the gun, does the new owner register it, all that kind of good stuff.
Thanks guys.

Than legally you are just fine with doing nothing further, although some folks prefer to cover their backsides with a private bill of sale.

Keith

I fairly recently sold a shootin buddy my 1st ever handgun; he did all the legwork calling the Mult. County Sheriff's office to check out all the p's and q's, and they gave him a link to a firearm private bill of sale(probably an easy search online, or easy to make your own). We both kept signed copies, real simple, just lists make/model/serial #, basic info of price, buyer and seller. No need to file anything with any govt agency etc, we're both Oregon residents. Like trainsktg said, you don't have to even do that stuff, but what the heck, he wanted to have something showing proof of ownership etc.

I fairly recently sold a shootin buddy my 1st ever handgun; he did all the legwork calling the Mult. County Sheriff's office to check out all the p's and q's, and they gave him a link to a firearm private bill of sale(probably an easy search online, or easy to make your own). We both kept signed copies, real simple, just lists make/model/serial #, basic info of price, buyer and seller. No need to file anything with any govt agency etc, we're both Oregon residents. Like trainsktg said, you don't have to even do that stuff, but what the heck, he wanted to have something showing proof of ownership etc.

There is a Bill of sale in the resource link above.

<broken link removed>

Sweet, thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it. I am a paper trail fanatic so it is all documented for sure. And this money is buying my new carry XDm .40 cal 3.8 barrel. I am very stoked.
Thanks again everyone.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads