JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this was twenty or so years ago. Some friends and I where out camping in the hills south of Mill City. There is a high lake located some miles behind locked gates that has excellent fishing potential. The main gate on the North side of the area had been crashed and was open for the summer, and there was another gate about two miles from the lake that you could 4x4 around. We drove up on a friday afternoon beginning a Labor Day weekend. I got up the next day and inflated my float tube and spent a nice day casting.

After awhile I started to hear motorcycle engines coming in and saw a group appear at our camp site. I was pretty close, so I paddled over and I got the gist that they had just driven 20 miles from the south with their camping gear and were upset that we were in the prime spot. Well, we had as much rite to be there as they, so we didn't budge and eventually, they started to set up on a landing overlooking our site. After looking at these guys and the ladies in our group were definately looking nervous so I spent the rest of the day hanging out with them.

That evening these guys start to drink, and drink and drink some more. They would go tearing off on motorcycles bare chested and shoeless and make a point of bussing through our site. One of our guys went up to try to make a little peace with them and came back to report the number of empty liquor bottles and how they were smoking something out of a pipe that definately wasn't kind bud. We thought it would be a good move to get out of there, but we didin't think we could negotiate the 4x4 section in the dark, so we were there for the night. Finally, one of these guys stumbled down throught he camp site muttering how his friends should come down and show the ladies some real fellers. Well at this point I thought it would be prudent rack a round into my Tarus 92F as loudly as I could. It was amazing to see the difference in attitude. No more visits that night and we left quietly in the morning.

So now to the question, what is the better fire arm to carry while fishing. Stainless mossberg 12 guage w a pistol grip? I fly fish and spend a lot of time in my waders, so something nice for the fishing vest would be good. Immersion can definately be an issue.
I've actually have some things to carry, but I would lover to hear stories of what other folks carry.

I fly fish with waders, haven't taken my shoulder holster out yet. I personally prefer pistols, as they're easier to carry, but my super blackhawk doesn't have a slide to rack.

but my super blackhawk doesn't have a slide to rack.

Yeah but a big a$$ revolver in a shoulder holster could have helped the attitude issue from the get go. Dont even need to pull it out to rack the slide and not 'brandishing' it either (dont need to worry bout that so much in OR but in WA its a law) Just dont go spinning the cylinder and slamming it shut great way to bend your crane and ruin your gun.

What a terrible way to ruin what could of been a great fishing/camping trip too sounds like you picked a great spot to get away form everyone too.

I always carried a semi-auto (usually xd9 SC) at my salmon fishing hole (well ex fishing hole now) used to get a rowdy group of guys who never bothered me they usually sat up by a fire pit and drank them selves silly and smoked weed all evening, and only fished when people started hooking up. Well one of my outings one of them disided it was his fishing spot and this elder gentleman wasn't allowed to fish there any more, pee'd in his tackle box, chair, and told him to leave... Well i told him to shut the f*** up and go back up and drink his beer. Needless to say he tackled me, we both ended up in the river / rocks/ beach but he was so drunk he couldn't land a punch, he ripped my shirt off but he was all bloodied up and kept coming at me until somebody yelled SHERIFF! and he bailed off into the bushes (there was no sheriff) but i grabbed my fish and bailed. Never went back either.
But all his drinking buddys just sat and watched him get taken down a few notches and didn't say a word like they knew he deserved it.
Anyways moral is i thought about grabbing my XD probably 5 times during our 10-20 minute rumble but i didn't know if any of his drunk buddys were packing.

Most of my fishing is in Alaska, but I'll be carrying a 4"44mag in a chest holster from diamond d.

If it were just people I were worried about it might be different.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Anyways moral is i thought about grabbing my XD probably 5 times during our 10-20 minute rumble but i didn't know if any of his drunk buddys were packing.

Sometimes the best thing to do in a situation like this is to NOT grab your gun. Sometimes grabbing your gun can save lives, and sometimes it can make things 10x worse. Very wise decision on your part. Really enjoying these stories guys.

dont know why fishing is any different than any other day when it comes to what to carry.

Really it's not, but being in the PNW its not carrying in walmart. It's carrying for protection from people, bears, mountain lions (the animals don't concern me nearly as much as people) which is why i carry a high cap 9 with me. Even in high stress panic situation i should be able to kill any of those ^^^ with 17, 115 GR projectiles.

In Oregon I don't give much thought to carrying for protection against animals. Just people. I've had a number of encounters such as you described in my outdoor life. To me, Rule#1 applies. Have a gun. Which one isn't so important. I've carried a number of blued revolvers and autos over the years, carried them a lot, and never had a rust issue. I just wipe them and oil them a little more often. I have a Ruger Blackhawk that I've carried extensively on the rivers for 30 years. It has almost no bluing left, but no rust either. I have a 1911 .45 that I've carried nearly as long, same deal. I've never owned a GLOCK or XD...in fact I've always sorta disliked the polymer guns, but I'll admit I am thinking about getting one finally. Mainly for durability. If I hate it I'll give it to my daughter, she loves the ugly things.

When I'm fishing or wandering around in the woods, I carry my Taurus titanium 41 mag in a "Tommys gun pack"...Fanny pack. I carry it all day long and don't even know its there. It only weighs 24 oz empty... and believe it or not, its fun to shoot.

That's a messed up story, fishing is suppose to be peaceful. Especially at some no name lake that's a pain to get too.

If I'm in Bear territory I carry a Super Blackhawk, most of the time it's a Sig 229 9mm.

I open carry while fishing. I too do a lot of fly fishing, dressed in waders. Concealing a pistol under waders, you might as well not carry. And in the woods, open carry is fine. I'm pretty sure seeing said pistol on my side has run a couple would-be ner-do-wells off.

For what you're doing - a Glock would be one of the best choices because of corrosion resistance. A 9mm with +p rounds would do well to stop 2 legged predators and some of the smaller 4 legged animals that might decide to attack you (cougar, mostly). I wouldn't depend on 9mm to stop a raging bear, but in all my years tramping around the woods and streams, I've never been attacked by a bear or seen one up close. I have been stalked by cougars though.

Right now I'm toting my Glock 21 with +P 230 grainers (because I couldn't find my preferred 200 gr +P Hornady stuff anywhere).

I used to float tube while wearing my Glock - never had an issue. I try not to submerge the mag well too much - you could make sure you get sealed ammo meant to resist submersion, just to be on the safe side, if you're going to dunk the whole gun regularly. I kept my spare mags in a zip lock bag in my chest pack to keep them dry.

AR-15 with surefire and red dot, mag loaded with M855 and a Glock on the hip with FMJ or JHP (FMJ is better for animals, but JHP will work better on humans. Either will work fine if you do your part. The rifle is primary anyways...)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top