Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What to buy with "X' amount to resell at PDX area gunshows

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ORANGvet, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ORANGvet

ORANGvet se PDX Member

Hello all.

Just a simple thought, what would be the most profitable things to purchase and resell at a Portland area gun show?

The amounts to be spent are either$1000, $2500, $5000, or $10000.

Firearms related items only, please. No beeny babies, jerky, airsoft, etc.

I was thinking firearms magazines, ammunition, things of that nature...

Any thoughts?

2. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Do you have contacts with the Manufactures of these items? Or are you planning to shop at Wal-Mart and then resell it? Just a question and we wait months for our Federal orders and rifle manufactures are no better.

3. ORANGvet

ORANGvet se PDX Member

Dan-Dee,
    If I was to do this I would be going through manufacturers. I am not currently planning on showing up at a PDX gunshow with a table full of, well, anything.

The reason that I ask is that I am interested in starting a business. Hearing about supply vs. demand issues in this area helps me. Someone is going to say "I would buy "X", but it's not usually available" or ""Y" always sells out".

I won't be back in the PDX area till early next year. I am not looking to damage anyone else's business in any way. I am looking for input to give me ideas for a "niche", be it firearms related or not.

4. dirtbag

dirtbag clackamas or Member

obama and clinton targets would be cool lol

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ORANGvet

ORANGvet se PDX Member

thanks. but would those be illegal in any way? the whole President thing and all...

Also, which Clinton?

6. OEDub

OEDub SW OR Coast Active Member

You could jump on the bandwagon and buy a store out of their Kel Tec KSGs. I hear the markup is pretty good right now...at least that's what the Classified section is reporting :)

7. ORANGvet

ORANGvet se PDX Member

well, that's capitalism (a good thing, of course). but it doesn't seem to be sustainable. nice looking shotgun though. I would like to handle one at a range.

8. Glockman19

Glockman19 Hillsboro Active Member

All of the above :)

9. dirtbag

dirtbag clackamas or Member

its only illegal if there is a cigar involved and to many witneses
    start with hillary

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Do you have a FFL? Cause if not this could be a very short experiment.

11. ORANGvet

ORANGvet se PDX Member

No FFL, so reselling firearms is a no-go.

12. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

Oregon gun market is more geared towards cheap. People here are just not that rich and are very tight with their money. i.e. cheap *** tight wads. pretty much describes oregonians.

I personally would not start a firearm related business in Oregon. Washington would be better.

If you really must sell something in oregon. You might consider going to olympia and buying ALOT of plated bullets from rainier and selling them at the show.

13. Simonpie

Simonpie Portland Active Member

One way to push the wholesale/retail ratio is with hazmat shipping. A $30 box of primers costs me $30 shipping. A $3,000 case of primers costs you maybe $75 shipping. Some other things like powder are similar.

Otherwise, unless you get a serious wholesale deal, folks will just go to the interwebs.

14. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

One thing that was lacking as the last few I went to was reloading supplies. Powder, primers, brass, bullets. The few I did see were so overpriced it made more sense to get it online, even factoring in the hazmat fee.

15. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I prefer to use the adjectives "Frugal" and "Thrifty" when describing my spending. You might mistake that for being cheap. ;)

16. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

+1

17. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

Like others said, primers and powder. I would like to get those components locally due to the hazmat fee.

18. hoody

hoody Tigard/Beaverton area Active Member

Range targets. Bore lasers. AR optics and on-the-spot mounting/laser zero. No one has a table that says "I'll fix/upgrade your gun". No one has a table that buys range brass.

19. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

I went to the Eugene Gun Show last weekend and there is definitely an absence of vendors dealing with holsters, lights and bags. If someone had set up a few peg boards with different brands and types I'm thinking they would have a fairly good day in sales. Become an authorized dealer for various brands so you can capitalize on buying in bulk.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  20. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

I like Glocks but then I also like Hi-Point prices. How about Glocks at Hi-Point prices? I would certainly be interested if they had some at the gun show.