JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I fell into another Weatherby Mark V action. Now, I need to do something with it. This is a six lug action, originally a .30-06.

So, I could easily do a 338-06, a 6.5-06, etc. However, I'd like to do something different that didn't require me to rework the bolt face in any significant way. I wonder if the extractor would grab a 8x68S?

Any ideas out there?

Bob

Here's the 30-06 derivatives, directly, without looking at rim diameters and types for others. (Source: PO Ackley)

1) .228 Ackley Magnum
2) .230 Ackley
3) 6mm Ackley Belted Express
4) .243 JS
5) .240 Super Varminter
6) .240 Mashburn Falcon
7) .240 Gibbs
8) .257 Bighorn
9) .25 Niedner (25/06)
10) 25/06 Vickery
11) 25/06 Ackley Improved
12) 25/06 Mashburn
13) .256 Newton
14) .26 Epps
15) 6.5/06
16) 6.5/06 Ackley Improved
17) .263 Sabre
18) 6.5 ICL Boar
19) .264 Williams
20) .270 Winchester
21) .270 Ackley Improved
22) .270 ICL Jaguar
23) .285 OKH
24) 7MM Mashburn
25) 7MM Ackley
26) .280 Remington
27) .280 Ackley Improved
28) 30/06
29) 30/06 ICL Caribou
30) 30/06 Ackley Improved
31) 8MM/06
32) 8MM/06 Ackley Improved
33) .338/06
34) .338/06 Ackley Improved
35) .35 Whelen
36) .35 Whelen Improved
37) .35 Brown-Whelen
38) .375 Whelen

The .280 Ackley has always impressed me. It would help to know what your expectations out of this rifle were.....?

For real jobs, I have them all covered. I'd like something that is just different, I'll find a use for it. I'm done carrying 10# rifles around, so, the big heavies are out. Something between 6mm and 8mm that is flat shooting, moderate recoil, and off the beaten path.

Bob

What do you want to do?

Are you looking for a "thumper" suitable for west side elk? The 8MMs fill that bill pretty well, as does the .338-06. The .338-06 intrigues me the most for the velocities it will launch a 180-200gr class bullet. The '06 case works really well in the .338 caliber. The 8x57 or 8-06 wildcat works well too. The limiting factor with the 8MMs is bullet selection compared to the .338. Ackley variants of all the above make them even more effective.
Then there is the .35 Whelen in std or Ackley.

Or, if you are looking to "reach out and touch" your quarry at ranges beyond 300 yds, I would look at the 6MMRem, 6.5x284 or 6.5x57AI (aka 6.5x257RAI or .260AAR). The .260AAR was one of P.O. Ackley's favorites, as the AAR stands for All Around Rifle. I built one and the thing just flat shoots! (thus my Moniker) It weighs in at over 9lbs though, with the 6-18x scope.
The 6.5s and even the 6MMs/105-115gr cartridges require lots of space in the mag due the length of the COLs when heavier/longer bullets are loaded. This makes the long action more desirable than the short or mid length actions that were originally used for them.
Anytime you have the ability to launch a bullet with a BC above .550 at 3k fps (or more) you will find your and your scope's limitations in short order. Extreme range rifles require costs for stocks, bedding, scopes/mounts and barrels that are often overlooked in the initial planning stages of a rifle build.
Sometimes you get lucky with standard stuff, and/or can score on used stuff if you are patient and are willing to spend a lot of time looking. But when looking to "reach out," be prepared to pay the piper to reach the cartridge's potential. Then there is the D-I-Y aspect if you like to tinker and are willing to read and learn.

Just my rambling. Good luck with you choice, and if you haven't already, find a good 'smith.

My choice given you said you are tired of heavy rifles, would be to build a 25-06 in an ultra-light rifle. #1 contour barrel and a kevlar/fiberglass NULA type stock. MPI out of Portland probably has something that would fit that bill. Keep to small two-piece scope mounts (even aluminum in this case, although I'd have it powder coated) and a lightweight scope, and you have a heck of a mountain rifle.
I choose .25-06 because its relatively easy to find both loaded ammo and components for and you wouldn't have to mess with the bolt face...

My choice given you said you are tired of heavy rifles, would be to build a 25-06 in an ultra-light rifle. #1 contour barrel and a kevlar/fiberglass NULA type stock. MPI out of Portland probably has something that would fit that bill. Keep to small two-piece scope mounts (even aluminum in this case, although I'd have it powder coated) and a lightweight scope, and you have a heck of a mountain rifle.
I choose .25-06 because its relatively easy to find both loaded ammo and components for and you wouldn't have to mess with the bolt face...

Yep, a really sweet dual purpose caliber that is very underrated. Works just fine for most of what you will do in Oregon/Washington. If you are a shooter.

The heavy thumpers are not necessary unless you are after ole grizz or his cousin the coastal browns in AK.

The quarterbores have always seemed to get passed over. The .257 Roberts is a great caliber. I have a .257 Wby Mag in Mark V Ultralight - a "reach out and touch something" firearm.

The 6.5's get the same treatment in the US. Maybe a 6.5-06. I've got to decide soon, as my slot is coming up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top