JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not seeing anywhere in these articles where it says the open carrying of a rifle/shotgun is allowed in the park. I have been told in Montana you can open carry loaded long guns in certain places, but I don't think National Parks are one of those places. Also, I've been told guns tend to create a panic in National Parks and if people saw me open carrying a long gun, I may draw quite a bit more attention than I would want to, even if it was legal. Somehow or other I just don't think it will work. That is why I am stuck with the little guns..

I'm not seeing anywhere in these articles where it says the open carrying of a rifle/shotgun is allowed in the park. I have been told in Montana you can open carry loaded long guns in certain places, but I don't think National Parks are one of those places. Also, I've been told guns tend to create a panic in National Parks and if people saw me open carrying a long gun, I may draw quite a bit more attention than I would want to, even if it was legal. Somehow or other I just don't think it will work. That is why I am stuck with the little guns..

Read. You may carry a firearm in accordance with state law. Therefore, if you are in GNP (in Montana) you may carry in accordance with MT law. Therefore, carrying a loaded pistol or rifle is legal. This was a very big deal last year. You may not carry into the Ranger station (a Federal Building).

Again, an experience hiker will tell you to carry BOTH bear spray (for bears) and a handgun (for criminals) while hiking.

Again, an experience hiker will tell you to carry BOTH bear spray (for bears) and a handgun (for criminals) while hiking.

Well, maybe I will have a change of plans.. Why do experience hikers think guns are an ineffective defense against dangerous animals? I guess it depends on the hiker, but I think guns are perfectly useful as a defense against wild animals. There is a lot more out there in the bush then grizzly bears. If a cougar jumps you from behind and your pinned on the ground, I'd rather grab my gun then a giant can of pepper spray. Pepper spray is not always a great option when heavy wind is blowing on your face. Just ask me, I live in the Gorge. I'd be afraid to spray something hiking against some of those winds. Actually, if I could carry a loaded high caliber rifle or shotgun with me I would rather do that. I don't care about what most hikers do, I just care about being as safe as possible. From what I heard, the guy who got eaten by the grizzly bear in Alaska, was quite experienced with bears and hiking. You know , The Bear Guy.. LOL What about the guy killed by a goat in Washington? Another long-time nature lover and hiker.

Now that I hear it is ok, perhaps I should invest in a lightweight 12 or 10 ga shotgun loaded with slugs. I guess I will call up the ranger station around Glacier and ask if they would kick a person out for carrying a loaded shotgun on their pack. It would be interesting to hear the answer. I will be sure to post it here either on this thread or a new one. If carrying a loaded rifle/shotgun is allowed in Montana, then I don't see how they can barricade you from the park, without facing legal issues. Then again, when it comes to gun laws, many government officials tend to either ignorantly or purposely overlook them and enforce their own rules. I guess most figure the worst that can happen is a judge saying it is ok and I don't get slapped with a fine or jail time. Then when it comes time to the next time to visit the park, they boot me again and the process starts all over again.

Did anybody watch the video of the RKBA-rights activist who tried doing a legal open carry in Philadelphia? Let's just say in between having a gun pointed to his head, a pissed off cop uttering death threats and vulgarities and getting roughed up a bit by the other cops, he got to advocate his rights without going to prison. The Philadelphia PD still tried to get him with some Misdemeanor charge, which he will fight off and like counter-sue the department. Anyway, just because its on the books, doesn't mean it is, effectively, the practiced law.

I have seen that a hundred times and it's still funny.

Sounds like you probably should just carry the 9mm.Doesn't sound as if you have confidence in your ability with either the 460 or the M29.

Not good in any defense situation. Kinda like the wife or girl friend is skeered of the shot gun you left at the house for her.She won't use it or hit anything if she does try,if she is afraid of it.

You say you ability isn't there with the big guns and I doubt you would hit anything with it.

From all I have read about bears,really goes along with the joke.Black bears run except if they have cubs and Grizzlies don't really give a rat's patuty if you have a gun,if they are that close and hungry

Always carry the gun you shoot best.One hit with the 9mm is better that 6 misses with the 44

I think you're a little off in your understanding of bear behavior. Black bears, despite their smaller size, are more aggressive and dangerous. They see you as a source of food, as prey. The brown bears tend to be be less aggressive and just want to be sure you are not a threat to them or their cubs.

I've been in Wildland fire for 12 years, the last 8 in Alaska and spend a considerable amount of time in the wilderness. Not once have I had a problem with brown bears. Not so with the black bears. On one fire in AK in 2010 at least 7 black bears had to be put down due to aggressive behavior. Usually due to them invading fire camps in search of food. (The hides were turned in to Fish and Game and the meat went in the stew pot for the fire crews.)

I carry a S&W 500 which I have never had to use. While I have had numerous encounters with bears while hiking solo I have never found one I couldn't back down by giving the appearance of size (open a shirt/jacket to appear bigger) or simply showing a lack of fear and an intimidating step forward. Bears, like dogs can sense fear and will attack if you show signs that you may be an easy target. As well a lack of fear and a little intimidation can go a long ways (with black bears, wouldn't try to intimidate a brown bear)

In the event of an attack play dead to a brown bear and fight back from the start with a black bear. Show him you are too much trouble to mess with. Go for snout, eyes, ears and anything else you can do to back him off.

And with either bear, no warning shots. Aim for center of mass, not the head, and shoot when you know you have the shot.

Golly,that goes against everything I have ever read about bears.
Black bears have always been portrayed as the skeered bear that runs away and the browns and the Grizzlies as the aggressive bears.
Someone better go back and change all those books and articles about bears.

So where were the pictures of the GNP trip anyway. We all gave him all the perfeshunal add vise and no pitures of the trip?

Um...I just read that Glacier allows both long guns and hand guns, just not in the federal buildings. If so...why not carry a semi-auto carbine like a Saiga or Keltec chambered in .308? Or a shotgun with alternating 000buck and slugs?

Keith

01.gif

Bells work to prevent surprises - USed them in Alaska. Key point - do not surprise the bears or get between them and their young

Bear Pepper Spray in those big bottles . Not the small bottles we piss people off with.

Do not forget - if you are goung hiking overnight - you need a bear barrel for food storage - Should meet California guidelines , Weights about three lbs.

I keep forgetting where they ruled - can you use a gun in the National Park?

Bells work to prevent surprises - USed them in Alaska. Key point - do not surprise the bears or get between them and their young

Bear Pepper Spray in those big bottles . ?

100% correct. My parents retired and live just outside of the park. All the Rangers and regulars will tell you about the bells. Been hiking in the Park countless times with no problems. Don't forget bug stay. Have fun

Carry the .460 loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo. You want the most powerful weapon you can shoot. Do a lot of practice shooting with .45 Long Colt rounds. They will fit in your .460. Do a little practicing with .460 rounds as well. Almost all your practice should involve drawing and firing from the holster you will be using. Practicing with both the holster and fully loaded backpack is even better. Dry fire practice is also useful. Just be damn sure the gun is unloaded, and you are dry firing in a safe direction.

Since you are hiking, get a chest holster holster for it designed to work with a backpack. The Simply Rugged Grizzly Tough is a nice one. If you prefer leather, check out their Chesty Puller harness with the Sourdough Pancake holster combo. Your revolver is too heavy to carry comfortably in a belt holster.

DO NOT try to fire warning shots. You will be lucky to get a single clean shot if you are being charged by a grizzly.

For protection of your hearing AND improving your nature experience:Cabela's: E.A.R. Inc. Flex In-the-Ear Unit wear them all the time, 7 times better hearing, puts you on a more level playing field with nature.
Long gun, Rossi 1892 in 454 Casull, 16 inch barrel, Stainless Steel:Rossi USA - News Detail
Pistol, mine is a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 4 5/8 converted to 5 shot 454 Casull, magnaported gives easy control.
Find a Freedom Arms 454 Casull and have it ported:FREEDOM ARMS INC
Take both, carry the pistol in your chest rig, wear it all the time, even when washing dishes, going to the toilet, carrying your food canister to the tree to suspend your food, I mean everywhere. Carry your short light lever action 10 or 11 shot (I can't remember now) when hiking or traveling. Shoot hard cast bullets or solids, you will have common ammo, your hearing, both levels of weapon protection, Stainless Steel for ease of care, take the pepper spray for seasoning, it goes great on Cat, Bear, Moose, or just about any other meat.
A common mistake made by armed people, even with pepper spray is to not have it on you when you feel safe, at camp, doing chores, resting, so on. The encounters can happen at any moment, go prepared, stay aware, and enjoy.
Oh yea the Rossi lever gun is fun, carries alot of rounds and is fast to handle and shoot.

Jim

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top