JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The glasses may help a little but if it hits your nose then your eyes will be watering for hours.

I think the warning shots will be fine against the wolves and cougar,unless they are real hungry.
Last year some guys were surrounded by wolves staking claim on their elk.A shot from the hand gun didn't bother them.A round from a rifle didn't either,until they killed one.

I think the best defense against all of these animals is a slow friend. I've heard that works good

Glacier is our favorite place on earth. We've spent a lot of time there in all seasons. We've seen bears, but never had a bear problem. I wouldn't worry too much.

McDLake3sm.jpg
McDLake1.jpg
RamHeadsm.jpg
Ramsm.jpg

Awesome pics, ZigZag.. You're getting me all hyped up... Argh.. If only I could leave tomorrow..:D And thanks for the reassurance.. This is my first time in grizzly country, but I am not going to sweat it. Just like preparing.. Might as well? If nothing more the trip gives me an excuse to try out my chest holster. I've only worn it a few times, as I haven't done any major hikes in years.

If you got any suggestions of places to see, please PM me..

Gentlemen, the OP has asked a serious question which deserves an answer, and I ask that you all step aside for a moment and allow me to speak with some authority on this subject. I will answer with my own truthful experience, rather than speculation regarding the adequacy of the .460 as applied to the most dangerous animal in Glacier Park.

I too have a .460. I found it in the hands of a deceased mountain man, who managed to scribble this note just prior to his demise:

"I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs hereby leave my .460 Magnum to whomsoever finds it. God hope he is a white man. It is a good gun. It kilt the chipmunk which kilt me. Anyway I am dead."

What I meant smarty is that if you are not going off the beaten track (ie away from the tourist destinations) you probably need not worry. You did not mention you were hiking alone.

Bears don't avoid the trails and tourist areas. Unfortunately, they're attracted to those areas because that's where the food is, including you. And it never hurts to have a backup if the bear spray doesn't work.

If it were me, I would take the 629 with hard cast or solids for penetration. Bad thing though is that when a bear charges, it doesn't really give you a good shot at anything that will really discourage it. It might make a dent on the skull if you can hit it, but my preference would actually be to go for the shoulder. If you can break that (or if you miss and get the leg), it significantly slows them down. The noise might scare them and if nothing else, at least you went down swinging.

I wouldn't use a 9mm on anything larger than a coyote. Lions are pretty tough. Sounds like a good excuse to get a 10mm. B-)

elsie

we just got back from Glacier, we only Vanagon camped, so no back country, for what it is worth I was carrying a G20C with Double Tap controlled expansion rounds. We never saw any bears in the park, we did see several in Yellowstone. Most of the Rangers were only carrying Bear Spray, could be a political thing, "if the Ranger has a Gun, I need a gun, if Bear Spary is ok for the Ranger its ok for me" kind of deal.

Pretty sure you have to do something pretty stupid in the back country to have an issue with a bear, I have hiked in Jasper, and done week long trips near the arctic circle a few times, and in the wild the wild wants nothing to do with you.....just don't out yourself into a position where the wild is forced to deal with you.

The couple in Yellowstone who got attacked, saw the bear, kept going and then saw it again, the bear had cubs, pretty sure momma bear was thinking they were stalking her and cubs, so don't do something questionable like that,

the recent attack in Alaska, again has the hikers putting the bear into a position where it felt trapped...

They say never hike alone, but don't the rangers hike alone? I guess I don't have the green uniform and badge, so I am not worthy..:s0131:

I plan on practicing my singing skills on the sharp curves, especially with thick vegetation.. Maybe a soda can with some rocks in it too.. I have to be honest, I hate making a lot of noise on the trail. I just like to be at peace and one with nature..

this thread cracks me up. should I get cheese or no cheese with my burger?

dood bring both guns, pepper spray, cell phone and bell be done with it.

happy hiking.

They say never hike alone, but don't the rangers hike alone? I guess I don't have the green uniform and badge, so I am not worthy..:s0131:

I plan on practicing my singing skills on the sharp curves, especially with thick vegetation.. Maybe a soda can with some rocks in it too.. I have to be honest, I hate making a lot of noise on the trail. I just like to be at peace and one with nature..

You could be.One with the bears.One with the bear dung

There you was,becoming flower food

this thread cracks me up. should I get cheese or no cheese with my burger?

dood bring both guns, pepper spray, cell phone and bell be done with it.

happy hiking.

Why does it crack you up? IT is a perfectly valid question for a gun forum. At least, I thought it was..

FYI.. I rather be asking what type of shotgun or rifle to carry for bear protection, but because I am denied my constitutional right, I am stuck with the little guns for self-defense.

Yeah, I do believe in using firearms to defend myself in situations that have potential for risk. Maybe, people should just leave their guns at home when going into Portland, since the murder rate is so low and it's just plain silly that you want even think about bringing a gun to the supermarket to defend yourself. As most anti-RKBA people would classify you: Loonies.

I got a 460 and a 44.. I want to bring one.. That is why I started the thread.. Yeah, I know bear threads are a dime a dozen.. I wasn't asking how I could kill a grizzly bear or how effective a .44 or .460 are at stopping a grizzly bear. I, already know the answer to that question. What I asked was what should I bring. Worse case scenario. Why else do you go packing when you're buying baby diapers at Fred Meyer? So many other people don't pack and make it home ok? How silly.

You could be.One with the bears.One with the bear dung

There you was,becoming flower food

I'm against that kind of CRAP.. :p

BTW... I just cleaned and shined up my m460v.. It sure looks pretty in the hand carved floral holster I bought for it.. Quite a shame I cannot bring it with me..:(

Also, many don't realize that my S&W 460v can also shoot other calibers, including 45LC and .454.. I was thinking even if I loaded my 45LC's they are almost are more effective as 44mag rounds and with less recoil, due to the heavier frame.

Oh well, after some sobering thoughts after the night.. I have determine lugging the large 5-6 pound gun on my chest up 4000ft will probably not be worth it.

Why does it crack you up? IT is a perfectly valid question for a gun forum. At least, I thought it was..

FYI.. I rather be asking what type of shotgun or rifle to carry for bear protection, but because I am denied my constitutional right, I am stuck with the little guns for self-defense.

Yeah, I do believe in using firearms to defend myself in situations that have potential for risk. Maybe, people should just leave their guns at home when going into Portland, since the murder rate is so low and it's just plain silly that you want even think about bringing a gun to the supermarket to defend yourself. As most anti-RKBA people would classify you: Loonies.

I got a 460 and a 44.. I want to bring one.. That is why I started the thread.. Yeah, I know bear threads are a dime a dozen.. I wasn't asking how I could kill a grizzly bear or how effective a .44 or .460 are at stopping a grizzly bear. I, already know the answer to that question. What I asked was what should I bring. Worse case scenario. Why else do you go packing when you're buying baby diapers at Fred Meyer? So many other people don't pack and make it home ok? How silly.

hahahaha - exactly what I'm talking about. didn't think I could actually laugh harder on this topic.

thanks

I have encountered brown bear and black bear numerous times in the woods, both here in WA and in AK. Only once was I carrying a side arm and it was a 629... Sure seemed small looking at a 1000 lb brown bear. Never had to use it though. Actually never had a bad experience at all. In Juneau AK there is a museum that has a brown bear skull with a 44 rnd lodged in the forhead... The bone had grown around it some so that was not the cause of death for that bear. Just something to think about. If you could take a rifle then I would say the marlin 45-70 lever gun, (guide gun) That can drop a bear. I am not against pepper spray, just don't use it like bug repelent :) I don't like bells because I enjoy seeing some wildlife while in the woods. Bells scare everything off. Also, a bear canister up a bear line is a good idea if you are camping. Good luck and enjoy yourself more than you worry but be alert. Sounds like lots of fun!!!

Rifles are allowed in National Parks. Obama signed it into law last year.

Really? I didn't know that. So, I can open carry a loaded rifle or 10ga shotgun with slugs? That is news to me. If you mean they are allowed, like meaning I can keep them in a locked case in the back of my car then that is not helpful. I am yet to hear where people can open carry loaded long guns in National Parks. If that is the case, then I would have a change of plans.

I have encountered brown bear and black bear numerous times in the woods, both here in WA and in AK. Only once was I carrying a side arm and it was a 629... Sure seemed small looking at a 1000 lb brown bear. Never had to use it though. Actually never had a bad experience at all. In Juneau AK there is a museum that has a brown bear skull with a 44 rnd lodged in the forhead... The bone had grown around it some so that was not the cause of death for that bear. Just something to think about. If you could take a rifle then I would say the marlin 45-70 lever gun, (guide gun) That can drop a bear. I am not against pepper spray, just don't use it like bug repelent :) I don't like bells because I enjoy seeing some wildlife while in the woods. Bells scare everything off. Also, a bear canister up a bear line is a good idea if you are camping. Good luck and enjoy yourself more than you worry but be alert. Sounds like lots of fun!!!

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I will avoid bear bells. I am hoping to see some wild sheep and goats on the trail. I will contact the National Park and ask if I can carry a loaded 45-70 or any other high powered rifle into the park. The reason I will call the park is that, even if it is legal, I am still worried they would throw me out and ruin my vacation. That is the last thing I want. I most likely will be satisfied with my little S&W 629. It can be used for bear defense, but their are also cougars, black bears and wolves throughout all the areas I will be going. I will also be spending time in the Bitterroot Valley, which is more isolated then Glacier NP.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top