JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
who the hell lets a six year old girl that close to the upper clackamas river this time of year? stupid damned sheeple anyway, this is almost unbelievable. i have a big ole lump in the throat for that little girl. WTH is wrong with her parents?:huh:

katu-koin-kgw, it is on all of them. russian family playing in the snow, upper clackamas river area. six year old girl fell? into the river. yesterday afrternoon 4ish

My office window looks out on the Clackamas at the High Rocks area. Even in the best of conditions in the Summer when the river is at it's lowest it's a dangerous river. The water is deceptively fast, yet I see people even with little toddlers to the stupidest stuff. Makes you want to slap the parents and say "What the hell were you thinking?".

Why blister the parents? Because there is no way they should have had her in that situation unattended that close to any river this time of year!!! When my daughter was 6 (now 11) I would never had her in that situation, period. I still dont let her play out front by herself thanks to creeps and inattentive parents driving too fast in small neighborhoods.

Parenting is hard enough without being stupid...

not to be racist at all by this but they were russians and russians like mexicans or many other peoples dont do things the way us americans do when it comes to raising kids.
I drive past mexicans all the time with tiny little kids walking near the roads and they dont even watch them,they act like we are supposed to watch their kids for them.as a driver we should watch for all kids but the parents could do their job too.

I remember watching an national geographic show in africa where the tribe was all washing in the river and a big gator just pulled the little boy under and he was gone....and the mother grieved for a minute,then they loaded her up with water and put her to work carring water back to camp.
I thought,how hardcore this woman was can you imagine an american woman?she would be in shock and freaking out.
just different ways people around the world raise kids.

not to be racist at all by this but they were russians and russians like mexicans or many other peoples dont do things the way us americans do when it comes to raising kids.
I drive past mexicans all the time with tiny little kids walking near the roads and they dont even watch them,they act like we are supposed to watch their kids for them.as a driver we should watch for all kids but the parents could do their job too.

I remember watching an national geographic show in africa where the tribe was all washing in the river and a big gator just pulled the little boy under and he was gone....and the mother grieved for a minute,then they loaded her up with water and put her to work carring water back to camp.
I thought,how hardcore this woman was can you imagine an american woman?she would be in shock and freaking out.

yeah, i heard that British parents give their kids only candy until the age of 18, the knock out and remaining teeth with a ball peen hammer and replace them with clothes pegs painted brown.....
Or that 1 in four american kids is a fat little bugger destined for diabetes, because their lazy overeating parents would rather take them to MacDonalds for a a double cheese burger and a 20 oz soda than take them to the park for the occasional run about...

yeah, i heard that British parents give their kids only candy until the age of 18, the knock out and remaining teeth with a ball peen hammer and replace them with clothes pegs painted brown.....
Or that 1 in four american kids is a fat little bugger destined for diabetes, because their lazy overeating parents would rather take them to MacDonalds for a a double cheese burger and a 20 oz soda than take them to the park for the occasional run about...

sounds like someone got a little butthurt by this comment???

i feel really bad for the little girl i wish the dad would have died trying to get her though how do you not jump in and ride the rapids after your own kid that part of the river up by austin even in high water is still skinny and shallow a grown man should have acted like a grown man and not ditched his daughter and drove for help,

i feel really bad for the little girl i wish the dad would have died trying to get her though how do you not jump in and ride the rapids after your own kid that part of the river up by austin even in high water is still skinny and shallow a grown man should have acted like a grown man and not ditched his daughter and drove for help,

easy to say,much different to do.
maybe he didn't see where in the water she was?if not it dont do much good to dive in if you can run the bankline looking for her.
if you yourself have hypothermia you would not be much help.

Id rather die trying to save my kids than live without them. That being said Id like to think that I have the fortitude to make the decisions which will ensure the highest probability of survival.

easy to say,much different to do.
maybe he didn't see where in the water she was?if not it dont do much good to dive in if you can run the bankline looking for her.
if you yourself have hypothermia you would not be much help.

a fresh shot of adrenaline will let you do anything they were tresspassing at austin hot springs rivers not big up there even when its high and i do agree with you i wasnt there but you can bet your butt i would have not have driven back to ripplebrook i would have kept on digging and sent my wife for help

I'm gonna take my 7 year old up Mount Hood this spring. Odds are OVERWHELMINGLY in favor of a great day on the mountain without any disaster... Other climbers take their kids up every year, and have for decades or more. Read up on just about every famous alpinist, and you'll see that their fathers typically started them on climbing anywhere between 5 and 8 years old on tame peaks. I'll take him up, well stand at the high point of Oregon, get some great pics and everyone will congratulate him on his accomplishment so young, and so on and so forth.

But if, Lord forbid, something DID happen... some freak occurrence- weather, ice/rock fall, avalanche, fall, etc... some thing that could have happened to ANYONE up there, but it just happened to be him/us... you know there's gonna be somebody posting a thread here in Off Topic chastising me for a bad parent/idiot who should have KNOWN something AWFUL was LIKELY to happen, and want to spit on my grave or throw me in jail (whichever possible).

Gotta love armchair QBing.

Do you think it was likely that little girl would fall into that river? What were the circumstances? How far did she slide before falling in? Was she crossing a bridge? Was she balancing precariously on a wall at the water's edge? Was dad dangling her over the edge by her ankles?

Since we can't answer these questions, I don't think we can criticize.. and even if we COULD answer these questions, should we criticize? Should we, in the comfort of warm chairs with our laptops in our laps, proclaim that these parents should have been able to see the most likely hidden hazard that lay ahead?

bubblegum no. It's not our job to pass judgement, especially not on grieving parents who probably COULDN'T have possibly foreseen the danger ahead, who were victims of a tragic freak accident, but are still blaming themselves for the miserable death of their little girl.

And to you safety nazis who won't even let their kids play out front- You're responsible for the security-blanket suffocation of liberty in this country. Stop raising your kids to fear adventure and freedom. You have nobody but yourselves to blame for everything from seatbelt laws to the Patriot Act to Homeland Security.

...I remember watching an national geographic show in africa where the tribe was all washing in the river and a big gator just pulled the little boy under and he was gone....and the mother grieved for a minute,then they loaded her up with water and put her to work carring water back to camp.

In America, she'd be on all the TV talk shows pimping her book.

"Gotta love armchair QBing."

About two comments in i was thinking the same thing. Especially the coments about how they would jump into the freezing river. You die and your kid dies, then your wife has to deal with no husband as does your other kids. Smart...

Matt

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads