JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 5.7 might be a fine cartridge. My problem is that I already have too many cartridges. I want to standardize with .22LR, .22WMR, .223/5.56, .308/7.62, 9mm Luger. Sticking with those means my bullet inventory is simpler, fewer kinds of powder are needed, everything is cheaper, etc. I would like to get into 6.5 bore as well but the only 6.5 gun I have is a 6.5 TCU which is not really what 6.5 bore is for (long range). I have other cartridges I play with but they don't really make that much sense - what really should I do with my .358 Win or 7mm Waters or .338 Win Mag? Each of which I have only 1 gun for? The last thing I need is another oddball caliber, feeding a single gun, that spends all its time in a gun safe. Either get seriously into a particular cartridge (after a lot of research and thought), or forget it.

No such thing as too many cartridges. ;)

I have six 5.7x28 firearms - three Five Sevens and three PS90s.

As for reloading, from what I understand, the 5.7x28 is a bit persnickety to reload for semi-autos, especially the Five Seven and P90/PS90, so while I have the dies and a lot of spent brass, I am in no hurry to try it out.

Just last night I was looking around in my closet and came across another 500 rds of SS195LF, so I added that to my inventory list. Then I added up my total for 5.7x28 and it came to about 7K, not the 5K I keep telling everybody. I guess, in addition to my poor memory (which is why I am starting to inventory my ammo), my math skills are lacking too. :oops:

I am thinking that the LF ammo, which is 27 grain, would best be used in the pistols and the 40 grain VMax best used in the rifles. This way the pistols get more velocity, and the rifle with its 16" barrel, can get the best velocity from the 40 gr. loads.

I am thinking that the LF ammo, which is 27 grain, would best be used in the pistols and the 40 grain VMax best used in the rifles. This way the pistols get more velocity, and the rifle with its 16" barrel, can get the best velocity from the 40 gr. loads.

198's in the PS90 will surprise you.

198's in the PS90 will surprise you.

No doubt, but the 197SR does ok too. The issue is, with expensive (now) ammo, which is the best and most effective use of the 27 gr ammo when you have both a Five Seven and a PS90?

The rifle does well enough with the 40 gr - the Five Seven is less effective with the 40 gr. Conversely, the Five Seven does better with the 27 gr than the 40 gr.

Hah! Wait until you move!!

BTW
What is the barrel length on the PS90?
I was looking at a CMMG upper but the longest barrel appears to only be 8 inches.

Unless SBR'd (& stamped and such) standard PS90 barrels are 16".

From what I recall, the 5.7 cartridge doesn't really gain that much from the longer barrel over the 8-10" P90 barrel/SBR PS90. As that was primarily what the cartridge was designed for. Short sub gun barrels.

Again tho, just my recollection.

I nominate the Tokarev in 7.62X25mm as the poor man's 5.7X28.

This is one cartridge I briefly played with along the way that I have to admit still intrigues me. Unfortunately, the platform (Yugo M57) was a pile of goat excrement, and I sold said Third World clunker, though there is still some in my "mystery box of ammo I no longer have guns for".

However, a reliable, high-capacity automatic, with a decent trigger and sights in said ... that would be most interesting. :D

This is one cartridge I briefly played with along the way that I have to admit still intrigues me. Unfortunately, the platform (Yugo M57) was a pile of goat excrement, and I sold said Third World clunker, though there is still some in my "mystery box of ammo I no longer have guns for".
Ditto for a CZ-52 I owned:(

Ditto for a CZ-52 I owned:(

Imagine a CZ 75 in said? :D

75B45thAnniversaryLeftWeb.png

Hah! Wait until you move!!

BTW
What is the barrel length on the PS90?
I was looking at a CMMG upper but the longest barrel appears to only be 8 inches.

I have a nephew who will help move - his son helped last time. Strong backs and weak minds. ;)
Most of my ammo is now organized into ammo "cans" (mostly plastic, some metal). So it won't be too hard to move as each container is not all that heavy.

The .22 RF is the heaviest because I can pack the most of that into a given container. The 5.7x28 containers are the next heaviest - again, because I can put the most rds into a given container. The bigger the round, the more empty space there is a given container.

I just sold one crate of 7.62x51 ball of 680 rds, looking to sell another 1K crate. I can barely move those much less pick them up.

The PS90 16" and even with the 16" barrel, they have to add a flash hider to make it legal. The P90 has a 10" barrel. I want to find someone who will do an integral suppressor on the PS90 for me.

The Romanian TTC I got to examine didn't look like a lawn steamer to me.

"However, a reliable, high-capacity automatic, with a decent trigger and sights in said ... that would be most interesting." :D
Yup. I suggest a Tok with trigger job, sight picture of choice, and a Seecamp 2-screw accuracy job.
Shoots flat, penetrates with FMJ, avail with JHP. Not a bad choice for the $.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top