Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What the bubblegum?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IronMonster, Aug 22, 2014.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

So I have spent a considerable amount of time on the forum in the last few weeks. Some events in my personal life reignited my passion for things that go boom. As a consequence I have read some new stuff and some old stuff posted here and have continually come across bubblegum used in place of other less family friendly terms or phrases. I have been pretty active in a lot of forums over the last 6 years or so ranging from bicycles to blacksmithing and never once have I heard bubblegum used in this fashion on any other forum. It leads me to believe that it was started and took hold in the firearms community somehow, maybe on this very forum?

So..... Does anyone have the difinitive history of bubblegum?;) Who started it? was it just clever and everyone picked up on it? Was some sort of convention declared ? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Personally I think it's kind of silly.

Anyone old enough to read these forums has heard all of the 4 letter words and could probably teach the old farts on here some new ones.

If they are old enough to pull a trigger safely, they are old enough to know what the words are or aren't and when to or not to use them.

It's a parents job to teach their kids, not the internet...

IronMonster likes this.
  3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

The forum changes some of the more salty language used by adults to 'bubblegum.". It has nothing to so with firearms just a way the admin has chosen to limit the colorful metaphors used when swearing.

4. IronMonster

Yeah, come to think of it, I don't recall the things it was replacing was all that offensive. I wonder if it is just someones "cuss" phrase. I have a friend who is a good church going fellow that says "What the thunder" or if he is really mad "Mother Thunder!" I kind of like it, I mean it would not offend me at all if he cussed, but its more interesting.

5. IronMonster

So it is actually the forum settings? Well I guess that makes more sense. I thought all these different people where using the same phrase, which is what I found so strange.

6. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

It is a setting for the admin, meaning we cannot turn it on or off. It would be nice if it was an option for users, but it isn't.

7. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

We know what bubblegum means, and now you do too.
    Welcome to NWF:D

8. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

The things I find offensive are bigotry and willful ignorance. There ain't enough bubblegums in the world to cover those. :(

9. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Doc
    When it's willful, it's arrogance.
    Regards

10. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

I have always found it ironic that a forum that promotes the idea of liberty, individual responsibility and personal freedom from the "nanny state" has resorted to using "nanny filters" to hide dirty words.

Caveman Jim, Sstrand and Just Jim like this.
  11. IronMonster

I belong to a dozen forums, This is the least restrictive of them all. I was suspended from one for three days for using "flipping" The sites owner personally called me to tell me that it was fundamentally no different than saying F'n and would not be tolerated.

I don't think its about restriction, I think its about being professional. I would not use any of the restricted words during a court hearing or public speaking engagement. I don't think it effects my ability to get my point across here. There is a lot of forces that want to fling mud at us and the last thing we need is to look like a bunch of hot headed redneck idiots

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
    Monica Cowles and Tbucket like this.
  12. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd prefer to see CENSORED stamped across verboten words.

13. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Ya but, bubblegum is nasty nastier..................:rolleyes:

14. SIG383

SIG383 Graham, WA Well-Known Member

%bubblegum, HAHAHAHA