JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be going out shooting outdoors this weekend with a friend. We'll be out of town and we want to shoot at some stuff besides bottles and cans. What can we bring along that is fun to watch blow up? (ok, not necessarily blow up...but you catch my drift).

I saw beanie babies at the gun show...never would have thought of that...but I actually happen to have some around the house that I don't want...will those kind of "explode" when you shoot them?

What about aerosol cans etc.?

Any ideas are welcome...Oh and I should mention we don't want to spend any significant amount of money on "targets"

thanks!

• Clay targets (the kind used for shotgun sports. dirt cheap.)
• Cheap ceramic dishes etc. from Goodwill (much easier to clean up than broken glass... my favorite are small plates)
• A TV from Goodwill (do NOT do this unless you're willing to scrupulously clean up after yourself)
• Pretty much anything from Goodwill that looks like fun.
• A couple cases of orange or strawberry soda
• Even though it's wasteful, fruit's pretty fun - especially with hollowpoints
• Tannerite

the only aerosol product I bring along is a can of fluorescent spray paint to mark lower-viz targets.

ok...gotta ask what is tannerite? What does it do and where do I find it?

Also, i have a shotgun that I was planning on bringin. We don't have a target thrower (whatever you call that thing!)...so do you mean just set up the clay targets and shoot at them?

ok...gotta ask what is tannerite? What does it do and where do I find it?

Also, i have a shotgun that I was planning on bringin. We don't have a target thrower (whatever you call that thing!)...so do you mean just set up the clay targets and shoot at them?

<broken link removed>

:D:D:D:s0155::s0155::D:D:D

I love this stuff, and Dan Tanner, ROCKS!!!!

Being a carpenter I usually use wood scraps or whatever else happens to be laying around in the back of my truck. I even used pieces of a downspout once.

being a carpenter, i MAKE stuff with scraps of wood and plywood..

i make target stands, silhouettes, obstacles, other props.. i'm currently making a drop-down target stand with replaceable target portions that'll either drop and spring back up, or be re-settable with a string. i don't really want to put up the cash for the spring-loaded hinges, so i'll probably start with the string idea.

i make these a dime a dozen- literally- from jobsite scrap. under the targets are silhouettes cut from plywood, that i usually put paper plates and 3x5 cards on.. plates for COM, 3x5 for head-shots.
View attachment 204006

somebody put IDPA boards over 'em here... not sure why
View attachment 204007

4552870727_bc50190b1c.jpg
4553512492_9a6137f1c6.jpg

Ice People, just plain old Ice. Or ice with some food coloring. You can make hundreds of targets for pennies. your freezer is going to be running anyway so you might as well use it. There is no clean up. It takes several shots. depending on the size of your targets and the caliber, but it still takes several shots.

It tends to explode into smaller chunks when you hit it. Balloons tied to a cheap remote controlled car works really well too. two blue one red. only aim at the red and only take the shot when you wont hit any blue targets. takes two people though.

I like old milk jugs filled with water. I bring them home from work after I rinse out the muriatic acid that comes in them. Add a little food coloring and a ballistic-tipped .223 and you got yourself a real good time.

2 liters of soda are pretty fun and cheap, especially if your bringin a shotgun. Watermelons can get a little expensive, but with some 00 buck their real fun. If you have the tools, make a steel target. I welded two 5" by 5" pieces of 3/8 steel on some rebar and it works great for .22's makes a nice ping sound when you hit it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top