JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think the title kind of explains it all, I'm looking to get my feet wet in suppressor land but am unsure of where to start. I know typically people recommend a 30 caliber rifle can, rimfire can, and 45 pistol can to start with, but that's a weeeee bit too many tax stamps and Benjamins for me to start out with. I figure I can probably buy one suppressor, maybe a second one soon after, but if you guys had to choose, what would you pick to start with and why?

I'm going between getting a 45 can or 22lr can first, 22lr seems like the more fun (and cheaper) caliber to suppress, but I can't help but think the 45 would fit on more of my guns. As far as stuff I'd be looking to suppress, I have a couple of 22s, a few 9mm handguns and carbines, and a couple 45 handguns, in total way more non-22s than 22s, so that's why I'm torn.

Here are the cans I'm thinking of getting though and reasons why:
Dead Air Mask:
- 5.7 rated
- K baffle stack so less FRP than a monocore design

Silencerco Osprey 45:
- Quietest(?) 45 can out there aside from FRP?
- No need to get suppressor height sights for my p220 and P226

I might be overlooking something too, does anyone have any input on which suppressor they'd get, or which ones they've gotten that might help me pick and choose a first suppressor?

Thanks!

if you get a pistol can i recommend a 45cal can so u can shoot 9mm and generally 300blk subs thru it. the osprey 45 is a pretty good can IMO.

i own a silencerco hybrid. my first and only can. to my knowledge the FRP is due to oxygen? being in the suppressor before the 1st shot? ive put 5ml water in my can and it was quieter. also used hoppes foaming bore cleaner in it and that definately quieted it down for FRP.

currently i have shot these calibers thru it:
17hmr
22lr
9mm
40 s&w
45 acp
.223/5.56
6.5creed
7mm rem mag
300blk
.308win
30-06
.300win mag
.338win mag

while some say its probably not "optimal" for any of those calibers as compared to caliber specific cans, i would be hard pressed to tell someone that i could hear a difference between it and my friends osprey 45 while shooting 9,40,45 and 300blk(the osprey can is rated for 300blk subs).

its VERY quiet with 300blk subs IMO. infact, generally it stays on the 300blk pistol.

i have the 5.56,7.62 and .46 end caps for it.

i have a 1/2x28, 9/16x24, .578x28 pistons for it which are the same as the osprey pistons and a 5/8x24 direct thread mount.

i wanna say im in it right around $1200- $1300 including the cost of my trust and stamp

EDIT: another thing worth mentioning is that on pistols, suppressor sights just barely or just barely dont clear the top of the suppressor. i havent found a problem shooting accurately. i got used to it. also, the hybrid is a FULLY welded can and doesnt allow you to clean it very well without taking the outer sleeve(the serialized part) off and do the toxic "dip" with the baffles/inner cylinder assembly.

Last Edited:
I bought an Octane45 and if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Osprey9. On the other hand, starting with the Octane45 is great as a multi-use can, and then I'd like to buy a 9mm K-length can, too.

Trading around cans (except around 22's) is really inconvenient. I've gotten to the point that I'd rather--long-term--have a can for each individual gun that wants one. For example, since the rifle I've got set up for HD, and instantly accessible for that use, is a 5.56 AR, I bought a 5.56 can for that rifle. Yes, a 30-cal can could work for my AR and some 30-cal rifles, too, but I'd rather have the most effective can and attach it full-time onto my HD rifle.

If a can is for the range, get one of those multi-use cans for all your threaded guns. But any can that is going to be attached at home and intended for defense, I'd suggest going with a dedicated caliber with the smallest hole possible.

I bought a Spectre 22 for my .22lr rifle yesterday. Figured it was a relatively cheap way to start out and I would probably get most use out of it at the moment, though that moment is still probably 8 to 9 months away. Those wait times are supposed to be dropping thanks to that new barcode system. Not going to hold my breath.

Those wait times are supposed to be dropping thanks to that new barcode system. Not going to hold my breath.

The wait times are plummeting, but not because of the barcodes. Because people stopped buying cans after 41F, and think that suppressors are going to somehow be made into title 1 firearms overnight. Suppressor companies are suffering right now.

The wait times are plummeting, but not because of the barcodes. Because people stopped buying cans after 41F, and think that suppressors are going to somehow be made into title 1 firearms overnight. Suppressor companies are suffering right now.
I see, makes sense. In any case, as you hinted at, it will be some time before any relaxing of restrictions would take effect, which I personally doubt will even happen. I've always enjoyed firearms and had that 12 guage for self defense, but only within the last couple years that I took it on as a sort of serious hobby. I've been looking suppressors for a little while too now and wasn't going to make the NFA or the tax stamp my primary reason for holding off. Just money and how much I could afford at any given time and right now, I would rather spend it on a suppressor than another gun.

I like the gem tech one and gen tech 22. I don't have either at the moment but think I will be ordering the GM22 soon. Rated for full auto (handy for the slide fire) and can run on my 17hmr. I don't have much else for it but the gem tech one is a bit spendy for me to start with. I like gem tech because they are local to me and I can get support of needed just a couple miles away. Doesn't hurt that they are some of the best cans on the market.

We only have cans for the guns we end up shooting the most. In our case the various .22rfs. The Elite Iron 6" Echo cans are very quiet. Stainless Steel. All parts available. Easy to take down and clean. Full auto rated.

www.eliteiron.com

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Last Edited:
if you get a pistol can i recommend a 45cal can so u can shoot 9mm and generally 300blk subs thru it. the osprey 45 is a pretty good can IMO.

i own a silencerco hybrid. my first and only can. to my knowledge the FRP is due to oxygen? being in the suppressor before the 1st shot? ive put 5ml water in my can and it was quieter. also used hoppes foaming bore cleaner in it and that definately quieted it down for FRP.

currently i have shot these calibers thru it:
17hmr
22lr
9mm
40 s&w
45 acp
.223/5.56
6.5creed
7mm rem mag
300blk
.308win
30-06
.300win mag
.338win mag

while some say its probably not "optimal" for any of those calibers as compared to caliber specific cans, i would be hard pressed to tell someone that i could hear a difference between it and my friends osprey 45 while shooting 9,40,45 and 300blk(the osprey can is rated for 300blk subs).

its VERY quiet with 300blk subs IMO. infact, generally it stays on the 300blk pistol.

i have the 5.56,7.62 and .46 end caps for it.

i have a 1/2x28, 9/16x24, .578x28 pistons for it which are the same as the osprey pistons and a 5/8x24 direct thread mount.

i wanna say im in it right around $1200- $1300 including the cost of my trust and stamp

EDIT: another thing worth mentioning is that on pistols, suppressor sights just barely or just barely dont clear the top of the suppressor. i havent found a problem shooting accurately. i got used to it. also, the hybrid is a FULLY welded can and doesnt allow you to clean it very well without taking the outer sleeve(the serialized part) off and do the toxic "dip" with the baffles/inner cylinder assembly.
I looked at the Hybrid as well, but I think I read that a few people were having trouble getting it to cycle reliably on handguns because of its size and weight, have you had any such issues? It sounds like the most versatile can out there, but for me personally I don't see myself doing any rifle calibers other than 300BO so I might stick with more dedicated cans.

I bought an Octane45 and if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Osprey9. On the other hand, starting with the Octane45 is great as a multi-use can, and then I'd like to buy a 9mm K-length can, too.

Trading around cans (except around 22's) is really inconvenient. I've gotten to the point that I'd rather--long-term--have a can for each individual gun that wants one. For example, since the rifle I've got set up for HD, and instantly accessible for that use, is a 5.56 AR, I bought a 5.56 can for that rifle. Yes, a 30-cal can could work for my AR and some 30-cal rifles, too, but I'd rather have the most effective can and attach it full-time onto my HD rifle.

If a can is for the range, get one of those multi-use cans for all your threaded guns. But any can that is going to be attached at home and intended for defense, I'd suggest going with a dedicated caliber with the smallest hole possible.
Fair enough, I'll have to keep that in mind. I hear they get really hot so trading them around will be a pain. Eventually I'll try for multiple cans, but I don't think I have the funds to do that now.

One of the class 3 dealers from around here said that wait times could go as low as 4 months, but I dunno how much stock I'd put in him.

Hmm, I didn't read through the bill but I like what I'm hearing so far. Does the SHARE act take silencers off the nfa completely to where I wouldn't need a trust? That's one thing is I'm gonna have to get if I end up buying one before this passes.

the nice thing about the hybrid is that you can buy caliber specific end caps for the most part. i feel like it makes a difference in sound for sure

I looked at the Hybrid as well, but I think I read that a few people were having trouble getting it to cycle reliably on handguns because of its size and weight, have you had any such issues? It sounds like the most versatile can out there, but for me personally I don't see myself doing any rifle calibers other than 300BO so I might stick with more dedicated cans.

Fair enough, I'll have to keep that in mind. I hear they get really hot so trading them around will be a pain. Eventually I'll try for multiple cans, but I don't think I have the funds to do that now.

One of the class 3 dealers from around here said that wait times could go as low as 4 months, but I dunno how much stock I'd put in him.

Hmm, I didn't read through the bill but I like what I'm hearing so far. Does the SHARE act take silencers off the nfa completely to where I wouldn't need a trust? That's one thing is I'm gonna have to get if I end up buying one before this passes.
no i have not had any cycling issues with the hybrid while attached to pistols. i handload for all of my weapons too so idk if thay makes a difference or not. ive used it on a cz p07, r1 enhanced, glock 23 with 0 issues.

only thing is like i said previously is that the suppressor sights just barely or just dont barely sit above the can. depends on the gun. not a problem for me. i could see someone not liking that tho

@v0lcom13sn0w Yep, I've got a 9mm end cap for my Octane 45. Ive used the can for 45, 40, 9 and 22. But, it is hyuuuuge. Right now I have it on my Sub2000gen2 and it will probably stay there. It is really a good size for something with a stock, but really too big for a balanced pistol can. I think I'll be trying to get a dedicated 9 can when I can afford it. Especially looking for a K-length.

I, for one, don't see cans as range toys, though. I see them as a tool to keep installed on my defense guns so I won't get hearing loss if ever I need to:

@v0lcom13sn0w Yep, I've got a 9mm end cap for my Octane 45. Ive used the can for 45, 40, 9 and 22. But, it is hyuuuuge. Right now I have it on my Sub2000gen2 and it will probably stay there. It is really a good size for something with a stock, but really too big for a balanced pistol can. I think I'll be trying to get a dedicated 9 can when I can afford it. Especially looking for a K-length.

I, for one, don't see cans as range toys, though. I see them as a tool to keep installed on my defense guns so I won't get hearing loss if ever I need to:
yessir, i keep my can threaded to my 300blk AR pistol with a shockwave stabilizer loaded with 208gr subsonic handloads next to my nightstand and plate carrier. oh and it has a streamlight on it too.

when i go to my range i put it on diff. weapons. i'll prob hunt with it on my LR308 this year:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top