JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best advice I've gotten in regards to getting a job.

Lie. Lie through your teeth.

I kid you not. Multiple higher ups have told me this multiple times.

It hurt the first time, I'm a very honest person.

Ive learned its just a part of business. Once employed, nothing on your cover letter or resume truly matters.

Hiring and training are expensive,

These days, trying to get rid of an employee can be even more expensive. Hence a high degree of caution and selectivity.

But I think there is the dynamic of ever greater population, fewer jobs due to automation and off-shoring of labor. I remember when computers and automation were fairly new, an oft-heard comment was that they would make our working world easier, workers would have more recreation time. Yes, unpaid time.

I made it to retirement time without any trouble finding work. During my time, we didn't have all the pre-screening. You usually just went in and talked directly to the guy who said yes or no. Actually, yes or "we'll call you." I interview well, nearly always landed a job unless I decided I didn't want it. I've gone to interviews and after hearing the pitch or looking around the operation, turned them down. My son is a manager, usually stays with a job for several years, then wants to break out for whatever reason. He is very intelligent, has an MBA. He tells me stories about the contemporary interview process. Sounds like it sucks.

These days, trying to get rid of an employee can be even more expensive. Hence a high degree of caution and selectivity.

But I think there is the dynamic of ever greater population, fewer jobs due to automation and off-shoring of labor. I remember when computers and automation were fairly new, an oft-heard comment was that they would make our working world easier, workers would have more recreation time. Yes, unpaid time.

I made it to retirement time without any trouble finding work. During my time, we didn't have all the pre-screening. You usually just went in and talked directly to the guy who said yes or no. Actually, yes or "we'll call you." I interview well, nearly always landed a job unless I decided I didn't want it. I've gone to interviews and after hearing the pitch or looking around the operation, turned them down. My son is a manager, usually stays with a job for several years, then wants to break out for whatever reason. He is very intelligent, has an MBA. He tells me stories about the contemporary interview process. Sounds like it sucks.
I'm stuck in this rut of horse s**t with this virus, finding a dignified gig and getting done with school. All I've been getting are rejection emails and hiring freeze emails. What a screw.

Best advice I've gotten in regards to getting a job.

Lie. Lie through your teeth.

I kid you not. Multiple higher ups have told me this multiple times.

It hurt the first time, I'm a very honest person.

Ive learned its just a part of business. Once employed, nothing on your cover letter or resume truly matters.

I know several people that won their jobs this way. BS's their way in and then figured out how to get the job done. I don't think that would work for every job, nor for every person.

I just can''t do it. And I'm a terrible liar anyway!!!

I know several people that won their jobs this way. BS's their way in and then figured out how to get the job done. I don't think that would work for every job, nor for every person.

I just can''t do it. And I'm a terrible liar anyway!!!

I knew one guy a long time ago who did that and was quickly caught out (you don't learn how to weld overnight). Pathological liar. He was put to work sweeping the floor.

Then you hear about CEOs padding their resume and they get caught out.

I knew one guy a long time ago who did that and was quickly caught out (you don't learn how to weld overnight). Pathological liar. He was put to work sweeping the floor.

Then you hear about CEOs padding their resume and they get caught out.
I wouldnt lie about a welding job. Or something super specific that requires a past like a CEO.

I tend to pad my existing experience. So it's not entirely a lie, just extra fluffy and more attractive.

I used to work at UPS when in college. I also drove white glove services for a small delivery company back in NV.

How long I worked at UPS or what sort of hours I did for the delivery service, are the shady areas.

What industry are you in?
I'm a trained watchmaker and power generation technician with work also on aircraft arresting systems on the flightline. Haven't worked since August. Tried the police officer route, but I couldn't get past those damn oral boards, so now I'm trying to go government civilian whether it be city, county, state or federal.

Depending upon where you apply, wearing your Northwest Firearms t-shirt to the interview may/may not get you a second look.

On a more serious note, try to stand out in some (appropriate) way. I hired and fired in some of my previous jobs, and my wife still does. We agree that "It's not who you know. It's who knows you."

One way to be memorable is to research a target employer enough to know some things about them - product line(s), image, visible advertising, company size, locations, website, motto/mission statement, position titles, presence in the news, etc., etc. They will remember you mentioned... them.

Don't worry. You don't have to vomit all (or any) of that knowledge at the interview, but it might help you frame some relevant responses - and questions when its your turn to ask.

Too many applicants only focus on pay, benefits, hours, vacation and so on (WIIFM - what's in it for me?). Of course you're entitled to know all of that. But without any know-it-all arrogance, subtly revealing that you care enough about a company to learn a bit about it never hurts.

Last Edited:
Too many applicants only focus on pay, benefits, hours, vacation and so on (WIIFM - what's in it for me?).

That is the stuff you only ask when they make an offer - at least in my profession.

Of course you're entitled to know all of that. But without any know-it-all arrogance, subtly revealing that you care enough about a company to learn a bit about it never hurts.

In my experience, most orgs do a really poor job of communicating, anywhere, in any fashion, what they are about. Even what it is that they do, or what service/product they provide.

I have usually had to go to a third party to find out that information. Reviews of, articles about their service/product. News, etc.

The info they provide on their website/etc. is usually a bunch of marketing doublespeak that glosses over what they are about.

Any low voltage/security/voice and data techs in Portland area with current Oregon LEA license looking for work my employer is hiring.

Any IT techs in Portland area with experience in programming IP cameras and access control systems looking for work my employer is hiring.

PM me if interested

The worst part of a job search is that it costs money. Going back and forth across town to little or no result depletes a resource that you currently have no way to replenish.

I am sure the age discrimination has happened too - but it hasn't been as obvious.

I applied for a job in Colorado maintaining the scada equipment on a gas pipeline and got a call for an interview. They wanted me to come to their headquarters in Colorado (I lived in Alaska) for the interview which would have involved a plane flight, rental car, a couple nights in a hotel (all on my dime) so I called and talked to the hiring manager for a while to get a better grip on what they were looking for. After going round and round a bit, it became obvious they were looking at replacing a number of their current techs that were slated for retirement in the next couple years. Being 50 y/o myself, I figured that although I might be fully qualified for the job, they were going to look at me like they could only get 10 years or so out of me before I'd be retiring as well. I didn't give them the chance to discriminate, but by calling ahead, I was able to find out before spending a potentially large amount of money to have it done to me...

Weird how it works sometimes, but I am disillusioned as to what a stint in the military would do for most anybody in the civilian job market. I think if a person spent that same time in the civilian market they would be better off job wise.

I have no way of knowing whether I'd be better off if I had gone straight to civilian life, but my military training has been absolutely helpful. I suppose it depends on the field of work as some military jobs have little applicability to anything in the civilian world, but electronics technician in the Coast Guard got me a ton of RF experience. I was able to earn my degree while still active duty for no cost to me and also got a number of industry certifications paid for that were directly applicable to my first civilian position as a Motorola engineer. All that aside, the government seems to be gravitating towards contracting out work. My last job was repairing all of the Coast Guard's NDS radios throughout Alaska. What got me that job, was the fact that most of these were the same radios that I installed while I was active duty years before. When the company saw that, they knew that I was going to be a bullet point on their bid proposal for that contract. What they didn't know is that I was also on the three other company's proposals as well. ;) Gots to cover your arse you know.

For the OP, not sure if you're on LinkedIn.com or not, but I was also able to find people that held positions similar to what I was looking for and I "Linked" with them. I'd ask them questions about the position that might help me get an edge and also, if there were any openings available where they worked. I also asked them if they'd give me a shout if something opened up there and I still get referrals quite often. It's a pretty good networking site, plus they have a good job search engine as well.

Don't even get me started!

Every single job I've ever gotten has been because of a personal relationship. You need an acceptable resume. But it's always been that personal relationship that got my resume in front of the right person.

What I hate most is the damn interview process and the insipid questions that get asked...

Them: So Mr. Cabo, what's your five year plan?
My: Um, I want to make a LOT of money and golf

Them: Where do you see yourself in 7 years
Me: Um, sitting in your chair taking the pills?

Them: Tell me something you learned in college that has helped you?
Me: I can't. It was all B.S. They never told me how to lay off a 350 lb African American woman who told another manger to Eff Off and is now threatening to sue me for racial discrimination as she's throwing the contents of her desk on the floor. SECURITY! (That really happened btw, and college did absolutely nothing to prepare me for how to deal with crap like that...or pretty much anything else in the REAL work world)

Them: Tell me your greatest weakness?
Me: I'm too honest. And your question is moronic.

It's a very good thing that I'm retired. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started!

Every single job I've ever gotten has been because of a personal relationship. You need an acceptable resume. But it's always been that personal relationship that got my resume in front of the right person.

What I hate most is the damn interview process and the insipid questions that get asked...

Them: So Mr. Cabo, what's your five year plan?
My: Um, I want to make a LOT of money and golf

Them: Where do you see yourself in 7 years
Me: Um, sitting in your chair taking the pills?

Them: Tell me something you learned in college that has helped you?
Me: I can't. It was all B.S. They never told me how to lay off a 350 lb African American woman who told another manger to Eff Off and is now threatening to sue me for racial discrimination as she's throwing the contents of her desk on the floor. SECURITY! (That really happened btw, and college did absolutely nothing to prepare me for how to deal with crap like that...or pretty much anything else in the REAL work world)

Them: Tell me your greatest weakness?
Me: I'm too honest. And your question is moronic.

It's a very good thing that I'm retired. :rolleyes:
Hate those questions too. I can't predict the future and I'm here to put my best foot forward and all you can do is dwell on my weaknesses? Gtfo...

I have no way of knowing whether I'd be better off if I had gone straight to civilian life, but my military training has been absolutely helpful. I suppose it depends on the field of work as some military jobs have little applicability to anything in the civilian world, but electronics technician in the Coast Guard got me a ton of RF experience.

had I been smart and had more confidence in myself, I would have gone with electronics when I went into the USCG. They let me pick whatever school I wanted. Instead of taking a chance, I went with the safe choice - something I knew already and was easy for me instead of challenging; I was an MK. Later, I did it again in college - but halfway thru my first AS degree, I took a course in basic electrical systems and found it interesting and not as hard as I thought, so I finished that (VA doesn't want you to quit midway thru a degree program) and then got my EE degree. It wasn't easy, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Had I done that in the USCG I would have been 4 years ahead. Had I just gone ahead and done that instead of the USCG, I would have been 6 years ahead.

*shrug* shoulda woulda coulda

Had I done that in the USCG I would have been 4 years ahead. Had I just gone ahead and done that instead of the USCG, I would have been 6 years ahead.

It took me a while to figure out. I struck Bos'n Mate at Sta Depoe Bay, Or and during my second tour at Mare Island, I had the realization that my opportunities after the guard were limited no matter how good a BM I was, so I switched rates to ET about 5 years in to expand my horizons so to speak. I seriously considered MK because I like wrenching on stuff, but didn't want to be called a "Knuckle Dragger" :rolleyes: ......Semper Paratus right?....or from my experience, what was generally more appropriate, Simply Forgotus....

Sorry to stray off topic OP

1) The worst thing about looking for a job is being unemployed. :D
2) Now that we are retired it's a wonderful feeling that neither one of us will ever have to do that again.
3) It's also a wonderful feeling to use that expensive resume paper for grocery lists.
4) Watchmaker - WOW, what a cool thing to know!! (see above)
5) Wishing all who are experiencing financial trouble all the best. Having been there we know how bad it sucks.

Being 50 y/o myself, I figured that although I might be fully qualified for the job, they were going to look at me like they could only get 10 years or so out of me before I'd be retiring as well.

It's an odd bias that they have, because studies/stats show that people are not keeping jobs long in today's world anyway. The avg is 3-7yrs where in my dad's era it was lifetime employment.

I kept warning my one of my stepsons that he couldn't be moving around jobs all the time, it looks bad on a resume.... he kept proving me wrong... he had the skillz and he had looks and personality. "Whatever, Dad" was his version of "OK Boomer".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top