JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I stayed at my job for almost 9 years. All the other devs had 2 years or less on the project.

With s/w developers, if you stay at a job for too long it can look bad on your resume because they assume you are not keeping up with tech, among other things - which is often true. Two to four years is about the max.

It used to be that if a person had a string of short durations on jobs then that was a red flag, but if you are a contractor/consultant, it is not uncommon to be on a project for only 6 months to a year.

The thing that sucks is that people make these assumptions about such things, one way or the other.

What my dad used had a problem with on my job search was that I was not going around to the employer's office and asking for a job - I was sending them a cover letter and resume instead. He didn't get that employers don't want to have to deal with you face to face until they see your resume, and then they will call you if they want to talk to you - they are too busy otherwise. Once I got my first job out of college, where I was hired over the phone, sight unseen, based on my resume alone - I heard no more complaints from my dad about my approach to finding a job.

In my years of hunting i have noticed a few things..
1, alot of jobs posts are already filled. Someones brothers cousin has already got the position and its just a technicality that they need to post the job in the 1st place..
2, Most places want someone who went to collage. It does not matter if you have a degree in whatever your applying for and I am talking about entry level work. Way to many collage kids out there looking for work for employers not to want that slip of paper.

Also, the part about embelishing your resume.. nothing like telling them you were in Waste mamagement for a major global corporation, when you really emptied the trash at McDonald's.:rolleyes:

My son got out of the Navy a few years ago. He has been taking college courses ever since and the Navy pays for the courses and also a monthly allowance. He is currently taking online courses. Might be something to look into, having them pay you to go to college. When I was in the Navy, I would have had to pay into a savings account to take any schooling after getting out. Sounds like it is a golden goose now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top