JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What smartphone do you have?

• Total voters
Reactions
Hello everyone!
This aimed at all of the preparedness minded individuals we have here on NWF. What smartphone do you have or will you be getting in the near future?

My reason for wanting to know is that I am just about to release a preparedness related app for the iPhone called Prep & Pantry. I am interested in knowing, firstly, if anyone is besides myself is interested in this app and secondly, for what mobile platform?

A little background info: I wanted an app to help me keep track of my growing pantry inventory and expiration dates. I couldn't find an existing app to do what I wanted, so having been recently laid off, I decided to leverage my IT background and make my own. And of course, I have an iPhone, so that was my target platform. If there is enough interest for one of the other smartphone platforms, I just might do that next, so thus, my Poll.

Please participate in the poll above. Any additional questions or comments are welcome.:s0155:

Thanks!
Doug

Last Edited:
None here as well. I'd really like to have a smart phone but until there is a modicum of privacy with one I think I'll be passing. With that said, I'd sure like to have an app like what you've described because it would make things a lot easier.

-d

@decker, perhaps an iPod touch would do you well then. It should run all App Store apps, can do anything an iPhone can here WiFi is available (ie at home). It wouldn't be subject to location-based privacy issues you mention, either. (Of course this is less helpful in a SHTF scenario, but cell towers quickly get overloaded in disaster scenarios anyway)

@op: As for me, I've had an iPhone for two years and will be switching to Android soon. Definitely port Android, there's a huge market there (and it's just Java). I'm going to start digging into the APIs when I get some free time. Let me know if you need/want any help!

None here as well. I'd really like to have a smart phone but until there is a modicum of privacy with one I think I'll be passing. With that said, I'd sure like to have an app like what you've described because it would make things a lot easier.-d

The newest iOS update is supposed to eliminate the tracking. Apple was worried about a pending class action law suit so they removed it. I do not believe them and I have a jailbroken iPhone so I can install non-Apple approved software. I have a daemon running that automatically erases that information installed. I have other software installed that eliminates the sharing of information with the producers of the apps. Selling this info is how most of the producers of the free apps make their money. I really do not do anything I am worried about anyone finding out about. I just don't like the idea of someone making money off of me behind my back.

Interesting. I had been considering an Apple product but then the tracking issue came up and that got scratched but then I caught this article:

Privacy Flaw Exposes 99.7% of Android Phones to Snoop Attacks - FoxNews.com

@Giantfrog... are you able to make your app work on different platforms pretty easily? Also, like Ablaut, I've heard that the android market is picking up a lot more users then apple these days...

@brown... that's exactly how I feel! Its not that I'm shady or anything but it annoys me greatly that companies do crap behind my back and profit from profiling me. Do you have a list of apps that you can share, or maybe a website that will explain how to get a iphone to the place you're at with yours?

-d

@op: As for me, I've had an iPhone for two years and will be switching to Android soon. Definitely port Android, there's a huge market there (and it's just Java). I'm going to start digging into the APIs when I get some free time. Let me know if you need/want any help!

You should check out Titanium from Appcelerator. It's a pretty simple JavaScript API to both platforms and a lot closer to managing one code base than would be developing both independently.

iPhone 4 here.

You should check out Titanium from Appcelerator. It's a pretty simple JavaScript API to both platforms and a lot closer to managing one code base than would be developing both independently.

Nail on the head. Appcelerator Titanium is what I am using to develop this app for exactly that reason. Barcode detection works differently between the two platforms, but otherwise it should be fairly straight forward. This thread's poll is confirming it for me that building this app for the Android platform will be the next step.

@Decker, ablaut is correct. This app should work well on the iPod Touch 4th Gen. Previous Touch generations running iOS 4 will also work, but without barcode scanning (no camera).

@brown... that's exactly how I feel! Its not that I'm shady or anything but it annoys me greatly that companies do crap behind my back and profit from profiling me. Do you have a list of apps that you can share, or maybe a website that will explain how to get a iphone to the place you're at with yours?

I thought I replied yesterday:huh:
Check out Howardforums.com and Sinfuliphone.com
If you live near PDX I can meet you somewhere and walk you through it if you want.

glad to see the marketing guys succeeded in selling you guys something you don't really need. I can live without my old 300 dollar a month bill. (3 phones)

Christ on a crutch, it's just a damned phone.

I now spend about 20 bucks a mointh, and I'm not walking around (like a blind doofus) oblivious to the world texting anymore.

glad to see the marketing guys succeeded in selling you guys something you don't really need. I can live without my old 300 dollar a month bill. (3 phones)

Christ on a crutch, it's just a damned phone.

I now spend about 20 bucks a month, and I'm not walking around (like a blind doofus) oblivious to the world texting anymore.

It's a tool, nothing else. It certainly beats carrying around a laptop. Not everyone lives the same life as you. We all have different requirements, priorities, and wants in our daily lives. I am not going to tell you what you need. I don't need you to tell me what I need.

During the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, phone service was almost non-existent. Yes I know this was not the mass cell phone era we live in today, but these where land lines, designed to be used by the millions of people living in the bay area. I remember trying to call my parents, friends and family and was unable to do for almost 7 days. I find it hard to believe that our cell phone towers and satellites will be able to better handle a sudden influx of usage during a disaster / SHTF situation. In my opinion, you will be better off discussing your plan and preparedness with friends and family now rather than trying to contact them when the rest of the country is trying to do the same thing.

Back to the topic, I have an Android and 3rd Gen iPod. The iPod will likely be the device that I use the most. I have several apps that I use exclusively for preparedness, a database of items in stock or in need, lists, eBooks, etc.

There's a company called Iridium Communications that sells sat phones to the US military and NGOs who operate in areas without cell phone service. Iridium maintains a series of low-orbit satellites that provide signal coverage. Unlike cell phones, which are tied to towers, Iridium's sat phones cover the entire planet. If the SHTF, or you have a natural disaster like Fuzzbling is describing, that's a better option than cell service. But if we're talking about EOTWAWKI, fuggetaboutit. Nothing is perfect.

There's a company called Iridium Communications that sells sat phones to the US military and NGOs who operate in areas without cell phone service. Iridium maintains a series of low-orbit satellites that provide signal coverage. Unlike cell phones, which are tied to towers, Iridium's sat phones cover the entire planet. If the SHTF, or you have a natural disaster like Fuzzbling is describing, that's a better option than cell service. But if we're talking about EOTWAWKI, fuggetaboutit. Nothing is perfect.

You like iridium?
You wanna buy iridium?

I got Iridium for sale :D

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/no...-~*w-accessories-case*~-^price-reduced-^.html

Seriously though, it's a great system. A real lifeline when you're away from civilization.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top