JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a search and can't find an answer. I want to buy my first IWB holster.

For those of you who use IWB holsters, how much do you increase the pants and belt size so it will fit? I'm used to my pants fitting my waist fairly snugly, and I know a holster wouldn't go in there.

It will be a small gun - maybe a Kel Tek PF-9 or P-11 or at most an XD or similar. I also have a J frame snubby.

Also for you other wierdos like me :D who actually wear your belt at your waist, does your IWB cause your pants/belt to slip down below your waist? In other words, do the looser pants tend to ride down?

I'm one of those oddballs who actually has a butt and a waist. :D

Thanks.

I just was reading about this this morning. You need to increase your pant size by 1" to 1.5", so you'd increase to the next size of pant typically... (33-34)

I was just reading that on a concealed carry holster site......
I think it was: <broken link removed>

I usually buy pants about 2 sizes larger just to be safe. My favorite are from 5.11 Tactical. They have an elastic portion on each side that really help keep the waist band tight. A very nice feature when switching from carrying a Glock to a 1911.

The belt I usually wear is also a 5.11 Tactical. A little big for some belt loops but I find it fits every pair of trousers I have other than a few pairs of Dickies.

Good luck and experimentation will be where you find most, if not all, of your answers!

Mike

It is not uncommon these days to find slacks and even jeans with hidden "expansion" elastic in the waistband that easily allows you a little extra room. These were were originally designed in the 1970's for middle aged guys that seem to grow faster around the middle than their pants could wear out.

I have found them to be quite nice for IWB.

Here is one example. A number of the major retailers stock this kind of pant. It will give you the general idea.

You buy your regular waist size....that way, the pants fit the way they should in the seat and legs. Going big in the waist for IWB can otherwise compromise the overall fit....if you care about that.

http://www.landsend.com/ix/index.ht...h=comfort+waist&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

The belt must be, above all, very, VERY stiff. Most belts are not. Most belts are pathetic. Most belts are just for show.

Your gun belt has an important job to do. It is not just for show. Not by a long shot.

When you take your pants off (with the belt threaded thru the loops), an ordinary belt will resemble the belt on a bathrobe when you hang the pants up on a hook. In other words, an ordinary belt is about as limp as limp gets. Not at all suitable for performing a manly job.

A gun belt, on the other hand, will make the waistband of the pants look like a "hoopskirt", when you hang the pants up on a hook. There is little slack in a gun belt. Definitely not at all limp.

Good leather gun belts start about 1 1/4" and go wider from there. For all around wear, including dress, a 1 1/4" belt does it all. A 1 1/2" belt does it better, but not so well for dress occasions or when wearing acceptable business or "Oregon business-casual" attire, if you ever have to do that and prefer to be armed while needing to be dressed as such.

Cowhide is fine, but horsehide is Much better in the stiffness and the wear-forever department. And priced accordingly. Expect to pay around $75-$100 for a great leather gun belt, in horsehide, that will last forever will satisfy your needs almost forever. Cowhide is cheaper, if you need cheaper but good-enough. Google the "Beltman" for an example of what I am talking about. I have one and wear it all day, most every day, including right now. Never been happier with any belt, ever. Really. It's That great.

If you never do business attire, then a stiff military-look web belt, such as the 5.11 is fine. I have one I wear now and then. These are stiffened internally with I-forget-what, but just the ticket for the typical all-the-time casual dresser. There are cheaper copies also out there that may be just about as good. Figure about $25 or so.

There is a guy at the Expo center gun show that makes belts, which are absolutely fantastic! I paid $75 for a very good, stiff leather belt.

Info:
Animal Jack Leather
1314-B Center Drive #330
Medford, OR 97501

It might be a bit of a ride, but the belts are worth it, otherwise wait until the next expo center event.

There is a guy at the Expo center gun show that makes belts, which are absolutely fantastic! I paid $75 for a very good, stiff leather belt.

Info:
Animal Jack Leather
1314-B Center Drive #330
Medford, OR 97501

It might be a bit of a ride, but the belts are worth it, otherwise wait until the next expo center event.

He he... That's maybe 5 miles from my house, and on my route to town. I'll check it out. :)

I appreciate all of this good info. Some I knew, a lot I didn't, but I've never carried IWB so it will be interesting.

Info:
Animal Jack Leather
1314-B Center Drive #330
Medford, OR 97501

That's on the way home from work... I need a news belt here soon as my old one is becoming a bit limp...

Just read the book Armed Response, David Kenick, found it to be rather good.....

about IWB carry, he says figure about two inches larger in waist measure for your new britches..... depending on size of weapon. He also makes a point of being certain the width of the gunbelt matches the width of the loops/slots in the holster. In other words, make sure if you've got 1.25 inch slots for the belt, do NOT try and make do with a one inch belt. Part of the job of the belt is to hold the holster at the desired, and consistent, angle, and if the belt is narrower than the slot/loop, you are no longer guaranteed the holster will ride at the same angle all the time... critical for rapid response and reliable draw. It must ALWAYS be in the same place..... no hunting about to locate it, no flopping. High quality thick belt, properly sized for the specific holster you will use, critical stuff.

Funnny thing, I'd never have thought of any of this..... why books such as this are great resources. I asked here what to read, this was one of the recommendations, and I am SO glad I got it and read it. MUCH valuable info.

I wear the same size pants that i normally wear when i pack IWB

I made my belt about 1" longer than normal, so i can adjust for the holster when I carry.

I make my own belts out of cowhide. 1 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick.
also make my own holsters.

I have no problems keeping my pants and holster where they are supposed to be when packing my full size 1911 govenment springfield.

I wear the same size pants that i normally wear when i pack IWB

I made my belt about 1" longer than normal, so i can adjust for the holster when I carry.

I make my own belts out of cowhide. 1 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick.
also make my own holsters.

I have no problems keeping my pants and holster where they are supposed to be when packing my full size 1911 govenment springfield.

How skinny are you? ;)

Great info here, I've been thinking about IWB for a while now.
But being middle aged, I have the furniture to go along with it.
I want it to feel as comfortable as possible, not feel like I have a log in my waistband :p

Try Ted Blocker Holsters in Tigard also for quality Gun Belts. I just picked up a few more. The last couple lasted about 10 yrs. IWB has many advantages and is how I have always carried, but it can be uncomfortable if you have to sit for long peiods of time. When I had a PF-9, it was so small, I didn't have to increase belt or pant size at all, but for glocks and 1911's I keep the same pant size and move once notch out on the belt.

How skinny are you? ;)

Great info here, I've been thinking about IWB for a while now.
But being middle aged, I have the furniture to go along with it.
I want it to feel as comfortable as possible, not feel like I have a log in my waistband :p

skinny whats that mean????????:huh::huh:

my dictanary doesn't have that word in it anymore.:s0112:

yes sometimes my 1911 doesn't feel the greatest on my hip. especially when i ride the motorcycle.

but im still working on the design of my IWB holster.
If i was smart i would go over to Ted Blocker in tigard and just buy a holster setup.
because he has already spent the time to fine tune his holsters.
Ted Blocker has some great holsters but right now they are not in my price range.

I also prefer to make my own holsters because its a hobby that i really enjoy doing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top