JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I have been contemplating buying a sheet of material to cut out some targets. I can use the laser at our shop to cut them all out, but I was wondering what are some "standard" sizes? I was thinking an 8" & 12" round and a 18"x18" square. Do you think that would cover most practice scenarios? I was also thinking about a 4" for .22LR shooting because that size would fit in all the scrap from the larger sizes.

Also what about thickness? I was going to start with 5/16" and see how it stands up.

I attached a picture of the first one I cut.

Thanks for any input.

target.jpg

It depends on how far away you are shooting. A 12" gong might be too small for a 900 yard shot but way too big for 20 yards away...

I'd shoot 4" gongs out too 150 yards probably max.

those are good sizes. I run 12" 10 " and 5 ". Thickness depends on distance and caliber , I have found 3/8" to be the best all around thickness as long as no steel core or steel tip comes in contact......even steel jacket will leave a little pock mark up close

this is assuming AR500 steel is being used ?

I use paper plates for most target shooting but when I use steel I set up my dueling tree with 6 inch paddles. Most of my shooting at steel is with a handgun.

It depends on how far away you are shooting. A 12" gong might be too small for a 900 yard shot but way too big for 20 yards away...

I'd shoot 4" gongs out too 150 yards probably max.

I've hit 12x12 at 1000. It can be done. This is 3 hits from a string of 20 shots.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430163114.787827.jpg

Common rifle rated plates are at least 3/8".

If you get into it id be willing to grab a 24" square or circle off you.

Silhouettes are fun too. 18x12 or similar size. For pistol and rifle.

I have a few 12x12 plates I regularly hit with pistol at 7-15 yards that are also 3/8ths.

1/2" is suitable for close range small cal rifle at a heavy angle. 3/8" is used by some companies, the one I got pitted pretty good though at 50 yards. My 1/2" only pitted when using steel core stuff, which I don't use on my steel targets anymore, but stands up fine to regular 55 grain ball.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top