JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am saving my money :s0155: and I would like to get a really decent, high quality pistol like a 1911. What would you suggest. I know that Kimber, Colt, and Springfield are top of the line. I like the fact that these are kinda like AR's in the sense that are tons of accessories out there for them. I have a few Taurus', but I want to make sure I have something really good incase they get the ban. Thanks in advance.:)

Out of the brands mentioned, I'd stick with Colt or Springfield. I think the first thing you have to decide is which size 1911 you'd like, then go from there.

Last Edited:
OK. I know that I want a compact probably to carry. When I took my NRA pistol course, they let me shoot a Kimber 1911 full size and it had minimal kick and great accuracy. I assume that a compact would rate a little worse in both of those cases, but not much right?

:huh:

I've never shot a smaller 1911, but I imagine it would probably have a little more recoil. My next purchase I'm hoping to get a 4.25" Colt Lightweight 1911.

I would recommend Colt or Dan Wesson, the only 1911's made with solid steel parts.

My first choice would be a Colt Commander.

After the above, go with Springfield.

Hey wichaka, how much does it cost to replace all the MIM parts in a Springfield with quality steel? Is it worth it?

I look at it the same as I look at AR's........if you're going to plink, and do the range thing every now and then........then I would say, it's not worth it.

If you have a carry gun that you expect to defend your life, then I would say......change them out, as I've seen too many small parts failures to trust them.

The change over I do runs about 2-300+........depends on the quality of the frame, so that there's no extra machining because things are out of spec.
And I've seen plenty of that.........

Wow, sounds like it's cheaper to just go with a Colt in the first place! I expect all my pistols and most of my rifles to be reliable enough to defend my life.

Wow, sounds like it's cheaper to just go with a Colt in the first place! I expect all my pistols and most of my rifles to be reliable enough to defend my life.

One thing you need to understand, there's not a whole lot of love put into production guns.
There are still some good models out there, but with the 1911, everyone seems to be making them, but it's anyones guess as to if it's in spec or not.
Too many vendors making parts to the highest bidders specs.......which is why it's a fluke if you get a drop-in part, to actually drop-in.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top