Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What should I get???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by caliber bob, Nov 10, 2008.

1. caliber bob

caliber bob Yamhill County, OR. Member

I am saving my money :thumbup: and I would like to get a really decent, high quality pistol like a 1911. What would you suggest. I know that Kimber, Colt, and Springfield are top of the line. I like the fact that these are kinda like AR's in the sense that are tons of accessories out there for them. I have a few Taurus', but I want to make sure I have something really good incase they get the ban. Thanks in advance.:)

2. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Out of the brands mentioned, I'd stick with Colt or Springfield. I think the first thing you have to decide is which size 1911 you'd like, then go from there.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. friskydingo

friskydingo Oregon, NorCal, and Panama. Yes. All three New Member

4. caliber bob

OK. I know that I want a compact probably to carry. When I took my NRA pistol course, they let me shoot a Kimber 1911 full size and it had minimal kick and great accuracy. I assume that a compact would rate a little worse in both of those cases, but not much right?

:huh:

5. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've never shot a smaller 1911, but I imagine it would probably have a little more recoil. My next purchase I'm hoping to get a 4.25" Colt Lightweight 1911.

6. caliber bob

I would like to go a less expensive route. What would I be looking to spend?

7. Oohrah

Oohrah NorthwestSouthern Oregon Coast Member

Naw, so little difference you can't tell. Although a shortened
    frame may provide a different grip control depending on hand size.

8. caliber bob

Hey friskydingo,
    I may not be looking at it correct, but are there prices online for these, or do I need to request a catalog. They are awesome looking pieces.

9. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Try any of the .45 dan wessons

10. caliber bob

What would I be looking at in price?

11. friskydingo

friskydingo Oregon, NorCal, and Panama. Yes. All three New Member

from wilson

PRICES STARTING AT $3015

12. caliber bob

:jawdrop:

13. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I would recommend Colt or Dan Wesson, the only 1911's made with solid steel parts.

My first choice would be a Colt Commander.

After the above, go with Springfield.

14. Joe Link

Hey wichaka, how much does it cost to replace all the MIM parts in a Springfield with quality steel? Is it worth it?

15. wichaka

I look at it the same as I look at AR's........if you're going to plink, and do the range thing every now and then........then I would say, it's not worth it.

If you have a carry gun that you expect to defend your life, then I would say......change them out, as I've seen too many small parts failures to trust them.

The change over I do runs about 2-300+........depends on the quality of the frame, so that there's no extra machining because things are out of spec.
    And I've seen plenty of that.........

16. Joe Link

Wow, sounds like it's cheaper to just go with a Colt in the first place! I expect all my pistols and most of my rifles to be reliable enough to defend my life.

17. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

18. wichaka

One thing you need to understand, there's not a whole lot of love put into production guns.
    There are still some good models out there, but with the 1911, everyone seems to be making them, but it's anyones guess as to if it's in spec or not.
    Too many vendors making parts to the highest bidders specs.......which is why it's a fluke if you get a drop-in part, to actually drop-in.

19. Joe Link

Would you trust a Colt out of the box, or have you seen the same problems with them?

20. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

This is my answer as well.