JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd find a used CZ 75 if it were my money. You cant go wrong with almost any used glock, beretta, springfield, you name it. It all depends on what your using it for and what caliber.

Well kind of depends, what kind of handgun experience do you have? If you are unfamiliar with handguns, and this is really your first introduction to handguns, and as you say you want to use it for a CHL (I would hope if you ARE carrying it concealed) I would recommend a .38 special or .357 in a shorter barrel. I feel the simplicity of a revolver is best for beginners. If you have a fair amount of experience with semiautomatic pistols then I would recommend something along the lines of a glock or a xd. Of course the M9 and and 1911 are timeless classics and ANYONE could recommend one of them.

i have never owned a handgun but i have experience with quite a few i like the look and feel of a cz but is the ammo affordable and is it good for target practice??the xd 40 sub compact is nice to

+1 for the Glock 19

Yeah, try not to get sucked in to the cheap knock offs or poor quality guns. They only burn you in the end. I had a Kel-Tec P11 for a while, but I traded it because it was NOT reliable.

I've also heard very good things about EAA Witness pistols too.

Just saw a CZ p-01 in Welcher's the other day. Its a compact sized CZ... not sure whether it was 9mm or .40cal, though.

When you go in there, talk to Chris! He'll get ya all squared up with honest info... none of the bull you'll get at other shops. :s0155:

They also have a Glock 19.

While you are looking around, check out the Bersa 380 CC for concealed carry. Nice gun, about $300. They are reliable (mine certainly is), no nonsense and every one rates them well. The CC model is all metal, but some models of the Bersa have plastic frames. They are DA/SA and operate just like my S&W 4006. I like all my actions to operate just the same. Bersa Good luck.

My first was a Glock 23 in .40 s&w, great gun, durable, reliable, and easy to conceal with the right holster. Also the ammo can be had at fairly reasonable prices. I kick myself for trading that one

$400 is not really enough unless you are *JUST* buying a handgun and nothing else. If you want to concealed carry you'll need a nice gun belt ($40-80) and kydex or leather holster molded to your gun ($60-80). Don't forget ammo costs either, typical modern defensive JHPs can cost up to $1/round. Buying enough to fill your magazine is not enough, you really need to shoot at least 150 rounds through your gun to make sure they feed reliably.

Personally, I recommend getting a .22lr handgun for now so you can practice a bubblegumload for cheap. Browning Buckmark is great and easy to clean. When it comes time to buy a defensive handgun, go to a range and rent a few different things to see what type of gun you like. I recommend the following categories:
1911, maybe rent a Colt
wonder 9, try a sig p226 to get the feel for this category
striker fired, glock is kind of the standard here
.380 pocket/subcompact guns, walther ppk
and revolver, s&w j frame .38sp
If you've already shot a lot of different handguns and have a good idea of what kind of gun you want, then maybe you can skip this step. Once you figure out what sort of gun you'd like to shoot and carry, then go to a gun store and pick up a few in that category and see which one fits your hand best, what weight and size you think you could carry comfortably, try out the trigger to see if you hate it or not, etc. For example if you liked shooting a wonder 9, pick up a few different ones like CZ-75, Beretta 92fs, maybe some of the compact versions, or if you liked the striker fired try different sizes of glocks, m&ps, XDs, and so on. If you have friends that own these guns, see if you can give them a go at the range.

Handguns are a very personal weapon and you really want to get something that fits YOU best. They aren't like rifles where one-size-fits-all (more or less).

+1 for Glock 19.

I've had one for a few years now and love it. Decent price, although a tiny bit more than what you're budgeting (but not too much).

I bought mine because I wanted a 9mm (for ammo reasons) and you just can't kill a Glock. They're tough.

There are numerous parts, accessories etc... for them and several carbine kits if you decide you want to go that route.

I've put around 750 rounds through mine without a single malfunction. All types of ammo with no problems.

I'm able to hide mine pretty good for concealed carry. I just carry it stock, no bells and whistles in a leather IWB.

For the truck and the house it's dressed with a rail mounted light and 33rd mag.

I think you'd be very happy with it. Every time I hold mine I get a little tingle down there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top