JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If there's a place nearby that rents handguns, I'd spend some time & money there trying different ones. It's a good investment to find out what you like.

If you don't have a place like this & have to buy w/o trying, then I think a used Glock 19 (as others have recommended) isn't a bad choice. Pretty straight-forward & not a lot that can go wrong with one, so buying used isn't much of a risk. 9mm is also relatively cheap. There are good deals on other "plastic pistols" by S&W, Ruger, etc. - but I'm not as familiar with those guns, so can't make a recommendation.

A medium-frame .357 revolver (S&W or Ruger) might be another choice - also pretty intuitive for a first-time handgun owner, easy & cheap to shoot with .38's. However, used revolvers can sometimes have "issues" & you may not pick-up on these when buying.

There's also merit in buying a .22lr handgun for a first gun. You should be able to find one by Browning, Ruger or S&W in your price range. If you don't buy one for your first gun, then definitely make it your second gun. Cheap and easy to shoot; great way to build confidence. Also good for introducing new shooters to the sport. Only downside is that if SHTF & you only have one handgun, you may wish you had a larger caliber.

Whatever you decide, let us know - so many folks ask this question & then disappear...

If there's a place nearby that rents handguns, I'd spend some time & money there trying different ones. It's a good investment to find out what you like.

If you don't have a place like this & have to buy w/o trying, then I think a used Glock 19 (as others have recommended) isn't a bad choice. Pretty straight-forward & not a lot that can go wrong with one, so buying used isn't much of a risk. 9mm is also relatively cheap. There are good deals on other "plastic pistols" by S&W, Ruger, etc. - but I'm not as familiar with those guns, so can't make a recommendation.

A medium-frame .357 revolver (S&W or Ruger) might be another choice - also pretty intuitive for a first-time handgun owner, easy & cheap to shoot with .38's. However, used revolvers can sometimes have "issues" & you may not pick-up on these when buying.

There's also merit in buying a .22lr handgun for a first gun. You should be able to find one by Browning, Ruger or S&W in your price range. If you don't buy one for your first gun, then definitely make it your second gun. Cheap and easy to shoot; great way to build confidence. Also good for introducing new shooters to the sport. Only downside is that if SHTF & you only have one handgun, you may wish you had a larger caliber.

Whatever you decide, let us know - so many folks ask this question & then disappear...

:s0155: Good advise all around. I've try to shoot a model of a handgun prior to purchase. I'd rather complain about spending $10 for a gun rental than having to sell a used $500 gun after shooting it once because I don't like something. Holding a gun doesn't give you important info like am I somewhat accurate, how easy and accurate can I get fire successive shots, etc.

A 22 is good for a first hand gun, cheep practice with low recoil and muzzle blast. If you skip the 22 then I would recommend a mid size frame 9mm, ammo is cheaper, recoil and muzzle blast is less and it is still a good self defense caliber. For a first hand gun skip the sub compact, they are good guns but harder to shoot. the glock 19 is a good compromise for size and weight. If you want a 1911 then the commander is also a good compromise the officers model is harder to shoot well and also the short 1911s can be temperamental. Good luck with you purchase, I am still looking for the prefect handgun (30 years and dozens of guns later), I don't think it exists HA HA. :s0114:

:s0155: Good advise all around. I've try to shoot a model of a handgun prior to purchase. I'd rather complain about spending $10 for a gun rental than having to sell a used $500 gun after shooting it once because I don't like something. Holding a gun doesn't give you important info like am I somewhat accurate, how easy and accurate can I get fire successive shots, etc.

I have to agree here. I worked at a indoor range/gun store quite a while ago and people would come to purchase, in many cases, their first handgun with little or no experience. Frequently I'd coached them while letting them run a few round through a few of our rental weapons. It help them make a decision on a purchase that was right for them based on how the gun felt, shot, how they worked and how confident they felt using it.

Another good idea, someone here mention, was get together with some of the others shooters you may know and go shooting with them. Most gun owners I know are looking for any excuse to go shooting. H%ll, if you're in the Portland Metro area drop me a line. I'll go with you and let you try my pistols, if you help out with ammo.

For a first handgun I would recommend a revolver. Buy a .357 magnum and start out shooting .38 special ammo until you get a feel for the gun. After mastering the firearm shooting .38's you can shoot .357 magnum ammo. The .357 is a great defensive firearm and ammo in .38 special is reasonable if you don't hand load. Taurus makes an excellent revolver that is affordable.

There's a selection of 9mm from Ruger, Taurus, and CZ that all would make good first guns under $400 if you have to lump self defense into the equation (I'd carry a 357 revolver or compact .45 myself). But you can't beat a 22 for shear plinking fun. Plus the price is right. Ruger Mark III 22/45 has lots of cool upgrades!!!!
The 38/357 argument is a good one for 1) Revolvers are safer and more reliable than SA Pistols and 2) if reloading comes into the picture later on there a great round to start with.

Ok, I hate to give Keith's any business lol because they are rude and I know at least one employee is a moron. Anyways...... I bought a Glock 23 for $399. I don't know if they still give you the factory discount but I used my LEO/Security discount and got it for that price. If your DPSST licensed you still need to provide work ID.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top