JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to be going hunting pretty soon for the first time and I am going to be practicing a fair amount before with my new (to me) used rifle before my trip. Just out of curiosity, when hunting for big game, what position do you guys shoot from most? So you use kneeling, prone, standing, or something else? I'm thinking I am going to practice all three to get used to shooting in different situations but I was thinking that maybe people never use one because of time, brush height, etc.

Most of the time I find myself shooting off-hand (standing). Most of the time there isn't time to take a different stance, or the extra movement would spook the target. Made a nice lung shot this morning from about 90 yards from a standing position. Practice shooting from a standing position.

Off hand shots are the norm for me when hunting the Cascades or the Coast ranges. Central and Eastern Oregon I usually have some shooting sticks or a Bi-Pod as the shots are usually longer and I have more time to get into position.

Practice all shooting positions you think you might use, especially off hand.

I always shoot from some sort of rest as a first choice, tree limb, rock, Quadrunner, etc., If nothing is available to use as a rest, I then use any position that will get the job done.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Sitting.
Properly done, it's about as steady as you can get without an external rest, and I'm more more steady than standing and shooting off of sticks.
Review the military sitting/shooting position for reference, and practice it.
The guys at the range used to look at me really weird when I would sit atop the bench on sight-in days.

I made my longest kill from a sitting position. 320 yards, slightly downhill, on a big 3x4 muley-buck, and dropped him in his tracks with a single round.

Back with the guys I'd rabbit hunt with, we'd shoot from this position.

a.aaa-Funny-poses.jpg

That top position is amazingly stable.

In the NW Oregon timber, standing has been the way for me to go. Only because the distance is usually short, as is the time to take a shot! When hunting elk in eastern Oregon I find a kneeling position quick and easy to attain if I'm in a hurry. If not, the sitting position is the steadiest for me. This all assumes that I can't find something to use as a rest. If I'm near a tree that offers me a limb, especially one that's the right height to kneel behind, that's what I'll use.

I tend to practice off hand shots the most, as it tends to be the most common shot in western oregon due to the short distances and short amount of time in which to react. The other positions are certainly important, but don't really need much practice to become proficient in those in my opinion. In a hunting situation, certainly you would want to take the most stable position possible given the circumstances.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top