JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a new scope for my hunting rifle. I usually go with cheap Weaver stuff from bi Mart but I want to try something better this time. What do you suggest? It's going on a 30-06 savage it's the hunter package that came with a Nikon scope. Should I stick with same rings and base or move on since I got a new scope.

IMG_20161218_234011295.jpg

I really like Burris XTR rings. There have three screws each side and are really wide. I feel like they hold the scope well. However they need a rail to mount in. I think your rings are probably fine as is. We have that rifle in 260.

I'd try something a little slimmer, stronger and better looking like the Burris Zee rings. The cheap weaver rings are, well cheap..... No easier way to put it. The Nikon scope that comes on these rifles isn't half bad, probably a lateral move by going with the scope pictured in the OP. A big step up would probably have been a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Not here to knock your scope choice though. To each their own... Here's a set of those Burris Zee rings on an old rifle of mine:

IMG_0929_zpssv7o05ot.jpg

A little word of advice: Pull the bases and loc-tite and torque the screws down. I've done this on a couple friends savage package rifles. Yes, we kept the weaver bases, but decided to go with different rings. One friend went with a set of steel weaver grand slam rings and the other went with an older set of steel weaver rings I had laying around. The rings that come on the package rifles are pretty cheap and all aluminum. The crossbolts are pretty small and the lock nut is aluminum. Better to replace them now and avoid a headache down the road when you really need them (like when you are on a hunt). Speaking of the Nikon scope that's on these rifles. Here's how a buddy's rifle shot with that scope and upgraded rings:
IMG_0698_zps1p5milag.jpg
IMG_0701_zpsqah1cmjq.jpg

I was developing a load for his 22-250 and needless to say it shot very well. Sub moa (5 shot groups) with every charge wt. tried... Good luck with your new 30-06. I hope it's a shooter. I forgot to mention, my other buddies savage package rifle is a 30-06 and it shoots 1" (3 shot groups) consistently. He's also using the Nikon 3-9x40 that came on the rifle, however my other buddy with the 22-250 bought a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 from me and took a real nice buck with his rifle this year.

Last Edited:
When I've had to buy bases and rings I've usually ended up with Leupold and have been very happy. Most of them are of the "Redfield" style, which means the front ring is dovetailed into the base, and the rear is held with two opposing screws that allow for windage correction. (sometimes base mount holes aren't exactly centered on the action) Then can also be found with the rear a dovetail also, but are a bit harder to find.
While the Weaver stuff works ok, I also think it's cheap looking and bulky.

Leupold are still the most popular on my guns. I've used the Burris, but broken a few rings (qr lever issues). But I would gladly use their standard rings. I like talley rings and bases, as they are easily the most elegant. But they are prohibitively expensive. The warne aren't bad either and I've had good luck with them, except they can occasionally feel like you need a third hand to install the rings.

I avoid inexpensive aluminum bases if I can help it. But a few of my guns still have weaver bases. I refuse cheap aluminum rings, even on .22's.

I have my compact 375h&h rifle and the only company to make qd rings strong enough to handle the recoil is Warne out of Tualatin OR.
Leupolds qd rings can't handle the recoil, the people at tualatin warne office where they make them are very friendly, helpfull, and even mounted it on my rifle properly. Because of the quality and customer service I am a Warne customer for life.

I have my compact 375h&h rifle and the only company to make qd rings strong enough to handle the recoil is Warne out of Tualatin OR.
Leupolds qd rings can't handle the recoil, the people at tualatin warne office where they make them are very friendly, helpfull, and even mounted it on my rifle properly. Because of the quality and customer service I am a Warne customer for life.

What is failing on the leupold qd rings under recoil?

What is failing on the leupold qd rings under recoil?

Usually it is the recoil key, not made of bar stock like on the Warne, but of sintered steel.
Had the same problem of holding zero with Leupold QRW rings on a 300 Win Mag T/C, switched the rings to Warne and problem solved.

Usually it is the recoil key, not made of bar stock like on the Warne, but of sintered steel.
Had the same problem of holding zero with Leupold QRW rings on a 300 Win Mag T/C, switched the rings to Warne and problem solved.

Interesting to know. Haven't had an issue with standard leupold rings on my .300 weatherby or the qr rings on my .45/70 Marlin. I will keep that in mind when I buy my next set however.

I like Weaver bases and Warne rings. Have not bought anything for a Weaver base since I got my first Warne rings. They have never left a mark on any of my scopes and they hold perfectly. They are tricky to install and a third hand is useful until you learn the trick of installing them.

My favorite rings now are Harrell's but they require a Davidson style base which isn't all that common.

Depends on the rifle. I like the Leupold turn-in bases with Burris signature rings. I have also been very pleased with Warne rings. Excellent customer service and it is handy they are close by.

Just got a new scope for my hunting rifle. I usually go with cheap Weaver stuff from bi Mart but I want to try something better this time. What do you suggest? It's going on a 30-06 savage it's the hunter package that came with a Nikon scope. Should I stick with same rings and base or move on since I got a new scope.

View attachment 329758
Talley lightweight for all my rifles

For those using Talley or two piece rings, do you lap all your rings when you install them? and if you lap them, do you use the midway kit or just a wooden dowel and 800grit paper?

I lap mine with the midway kit and compound. I've never damaged a scope by not lapping either. I used to use a old 2x scope to check fit and can feel if something is off.

I have never lapped my rings. I know a lot of people suggest you do, but the only rings that have left marks on my scopes were cheap Weaver buckle style...the kind you can never get the scope straight with. I have some target rifles that shoot amazing groups with rings that have not been lapped. Many ring manufacturers now suggest you NOT lap their rings. Warne for instance.

I think of it this way...if you do lap you assume the bar you use to lap with is perfect and the rings are not. I've decided to trust the boring tool or CNC machine used to make the rings in the first place was perfect and not worry about lapping.

I use almost anything except I avoid the Redfield turn-in style if at all possible (I think I have one set for a 7/8" scope I have because 7/8" rings are rare). Often I am trying to get the scope as low as possible, and nothing is lower than Weaver low rings, so I use them sometimes.

I am not so put off by the fact they are weaker, as a lot of people are. Think of it, if you drop your rifle, what do you want to break? That expensive scope? I'd rather sacrifice my rings... Anyway I tend toward lighter scopes and low-recoiling rifles so you don't need a heck of a lot of strength for that.

I almost always lap my rings, so although I like the idea of vertically-split rings, they are a pain to lap and no longer use them much. I do trust the lapping rod more than I trust everything else to be right, and have seen some ring setups that needed substantial lapping. Even an ordinary straight-edge would show you it needs help. I use the Brownells tools.

I usually put a small piece of the old cloth-style electrical tape inside the ring bottoms. Sticky on both sides, that scope is not going to move.

I think the nicest rings I have are Conetrols, on one of my rifles. Very smooth!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top