JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son just turned two.

One day I will introduce him to shooting, so I am wondering what to get him now since prices are so low.

I've already purchased an M&P Shield 9mm for him to receive one day. Now I want to get a couple of rifles for him.

I'd like something he can have for fun (a .22lr) and something that he may use for hunting one day (if I am ever to get into it).

I have a Savage 111 in 30-06 for hunting and a Savage 64 for my .22lr, so I wanted to have something different for him.

I was thinking of something in 7mm-08 for a potential hunting rifle and a Ruger 10/22 for his .22lr.

Could I hear other opinions? I thought about .243 and .270, but I read a bit about youth and 7mm-08 and that seems to fit the bill quite well.

Thanks!

A nice .308 Winchester bolt-action rifle and a Rossi .357 Magnum lever-action carbine. He can target practice with .38 Special +P ammunition and "varmint" as well as "short range" (50 yards) deer hunt with some "hot-shot" .357 S&W Magnum loads.

Don't rule out a good .30 Carbine with hot soft-point loads for short range deer hunting. Contrary to popular belief, it can actually outperform the .357 S&W Magnum from a carbine-length barrel. Don't believe me? Check Underwood Ammunition's .30 Carbine loads. With proper bullet placement, it will effectively drop a whitetail at ranges of 100 yards.

I'll offer one point for consideration - don't give him "too much gun, too soon". What I mean is be cautious in introducing him to guns that have significant recoil. Flinching is easy to learn and difficult to cure, and its normally caused by recoil that is unexpected. I wouldn't recommend a .308 as a starter rifle. I think you're on the right track starting with a .22 but take it up slowly to larger calibers as he ages. Just my 2cents worth.

10-22 would be good for a teen but for starters;
I'd look for a reasonable Winchester model 60a 22 single shot,
or even Springfield J. Stevens Arms Co. model 15, albeit I would shave the stock down some, or something similar.
lots of old very small single shots, many for as little as 75 bucks up to 100 come up from time to time.
My best times of knee high life were hanging with dad pretending to build things and work along side him giving you a big chance for a father son clean it up and maybe refinish giving hands instruction on what makes a rifle tick in simple terms, what the inside of a bolt looks like, how to take care of it, giving him a personal stake in its outcome, and something to look forward to when he is finally "old enough" to take her out.
Single shots teach ammo frugality and call your shots sort of training, instead of machine gun shredding paper .
Ammo in your pockets makes them feel grown up and in control of their shooting destiny.
They are light weight and surprisingly balanced, most have nice triggers believe it or not for a bent piece of flat wire if you don't mind a little take up.
They're very safe since they wont shoot until you pull the cocking nob and that don't happen until their ready to shoot.
I also think they have more class than the new mini kid rifles like the plastic cricket or chunky rascal.

+1 for the pellet gun idea. My first "firearm" was a crosman pump up BB gun that my dad got me when I was ten. After obligatory safety instruction and a few years of safe using, dad took me to Bi-mart and let me get a Ruger 10-22, which I had been saving for.

SKS
Mosin
Garand
Mauser
Etc

The older guns are harder to find and only go up in value.

Your son will most likely be able to buy 95% of the current production guns (or you for him) when the time comes but the older Rifles have a finite amount and then they are gone.

Maybe not the coolest answer but I think a good one.

I would defenitly buy him his own .22 to start with. As for the rest I personally wouldn't give it to much thought. If you want to buy him something just buy what you want. Or if you get a good deal buy two. Sons always want what daddy has. You can choose later what to give him.

What you buy today you might trade or sell by the time he is old enough to use it anyway. Like Joe said if you want something go for the old stuff because it may be gone by the time he is able to shoot it.

Just my .02

I bought my daughter a Crickett with a laminated stock and after she was able to consistantly hit targets with the iron sights I mounted a 2-7x32 Redfield Battlezone on it. She is now ready to step up, the scope will be moved to the next rifle, either a 10/22 or a M&P 22-15. She also shoots the heck out of my M&P22 pistol. She has put many rounds down range through several of my 380s, 9s, and even my 1911s. Started her when she was 5, she is now 10. Heavy on the close supervision, especially with handguns, even now.

I started with a Red Ryder around 4 and was allowed to shoot dad's .22s . Then got a 22/20ga over under years later for Christmas.

A youth model .22 bolt single shot or a break barrel single is hard to beat for a first.

They make some cool youth .410 pump shotguns. Makes me want one .

Carter's New Shotgun.JPG

I started with a crossman pump bb rifle, Ruger standard (mk1) .22lr and S&W 39-2 9mm all at age 4.

First gun I bought at 18 was a SS Marlin 60 .22lr but was very proficient with guns by then.

Last Edited:
Give him something you have and have used. Give him something you cherish. You can always buy something else, but what is going to matter is if he can see the love you give something and then realize you care enough to give it to him.

Guns are a dime a dozen (figuratively speaking). But memories and legacy aren't. Give him yours.

(sorry if that's a bit cheesy, but what brand or caliber has a million right answers).

Give him something you have and have used. Give him something you cherish. You can always buy something else, but what is going to matter is if he can see the love you give something and then realize you care enough to give it to him.

Guns are a dime a dozen (figuratively speaking). But memories and legacy aren't. Give him yours.

Great answer - my inherited guns are some of my most cherished material possessions in life.

I built a 10/22 takedown for my son when I learned that my wife was pregnant, he's turning 2 in December. When he's old enough, i'll start him off with my Savage mark II in 22lr. Then my Henry lever action 22lr. Only when I know he's proficient and ready, that's when i'll give him the 10/22.

And we are also expecting a girl in January. I already built her a 10/22. LOL

I would defenitly buy him his own .22 to start with. As for the rest I personally wouldn't give it to much thought. If you want to buy him something just buy what you want.

I'll second that motion. Worry about teaching marksmanship first; make a solid foundation in the fundamentals before moving forward.

I'd highly recommend a good quality single shot bolt action with an adjustable rear aperture sight. Stay away from the high capacity semi-autos to start.

(sorry if that's a bit cheesy, but what brand or caliber has a million right answers).

I think that is a great answer!! Those are some of my favorite guns.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews