JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm turning 40 later this month and got the "go ahead" to buy a new rifle. Budget must stay under $2K for everything. (rifle, scope, ammo, accessories, etc) My first thought is to go with a Bushmaster AR-15 E2S A3 M4 Type Patrolman's Carbine. I have been drooling over this for almost a year now. Then I started thinking that maybe I should look around before I pull the trigger on the AR-15 and see what else I might enjoy.

I welcome all suggestions. I will primarily be shooting at the range and various wilderness type shooting areas. Will likely never use it for hunting, but I guess it could happen as my 11 year old gets into his teens. Thanks!

Ty

The next 2 grand I get for a gun will be spent on an Armalite AR-10 National Match. Street price would probably be just over $2000, but it comes with iron sights. :) <broken link removed> ...

Either that or an Benelli M4. The above would probably be more fun though.

Why not take the 2K, go to a show and buy 2 rifles??? :s0155: Go look around if you don't have a time limit and look at others and then make the decision. although, an M4 is a good choice, but with 2K you got pretty wide limits...good luck.

Why not take the 2K, go to a show and buy 2 rifles??? :s0155: Go look around if you don't have a time limit and look at others and then make the decision. although, an M4 is a good choice, but with 2K you got pretty wide limits...good luck.

Heck, you could buy 10 Mosin Nagants and enough ammo to shoot for a few years...:s0155:

M1 Garand FTMFW! As a bonus every garand comes with a man card. You can get a decent garand, buttload of ammo, and a decent 1911 and ammo for $2k. Then you would have the best 2 firearms ever made and you will not be able to be mocked thanks to the aforementioned man card. Its a win win win sort of situation.:s0155:

And -1 for the PTR-91. I had one and it was one of my not so favorite guns. They are hard to scope (to my liking anyway), beat the heck out of the brass, and are heavy. I would rather get an M1A, but I would rather have an M1Garand over an M1A as they are just plain more fun to shoot.

I agree with Cheese on this. Time to get into something substantive, with a 'backbone', and made of walnut and steel with 'open irons'! I am currently shopping for my own belated b-day present - a Winchester 94 in 25-35.

Close to this, the 2 guns part anyway. And I wouldn't necessarily go to a gun show, but this site and others have some great used choices.....

I'd spend $500 of the $2k on the most accurate .22 I could get (tons of fun and very cost effective plinking), then I'd get a Heavy Barreled something in .224 caliber (lots of options there) or a .308. Downside with these is that to REALLY enjoy shooting them you're better off reloading.

Quite a quandry you have there - enjoy!!!!

M1A all the way! get a good scope and some ammo and its on. i love my NM it is a tack driver.plus you can reload for it for about .37 a round.food for thought, i think if you haven't shot one you'll fall in love.they are very reliable easy to disassemble. the list goes on lol.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Amazing how everyone has their favorites and what they would do. A 1911 is in my future, but not this time. I guess I really just have to go with what makes me smile when I think about it and that is still the AR.

Howdy Ty,

I'll take you down a different road and with consideration you've got a kid you're lookin' out for. The Garand/94 .25-35 guys alluded to my strategy, then didn't mention my reasoning:

INVEST the $2K. Find a gun that is not only interesting, fun, and useful, but also will increase in value better than any current real estate or bank account. (and TAX FREE!) If your kid doesn't go head-over-heels for the shooting sports, a $2K investment in the right gun could pay for a lot of education when the time comes.

This may take you out of your comfort zone, but a nice Winchester '73 or similar gun in the $2K range could be shot moderately, cared for well, and will always be worth at least what you put into it if you've done your homework.

It will become the centerpiece of your collection: the one you show first to a trusted friend, and the one your kid dreams of taking possession of when the time comes: a priceless piece of our country's history in tangible, shootable hardware.

Think about it. Can an AR provide all that?

I'd recommend:

A Service Grade Garand, preferable WWII vintage with CMP papers, or just a regular Garand if you don't care about maximum resale value.

A basic AR10 package.

A Romanian PSL with 1pn34 NV scope (just Google it, you'll see :). )

Each of my suggestions runs about $1k if purchased retail, which leaves you $1k for ammo and other goodies.

If you want to get really crazy, this is one of my coolest fun guns, plus its good for the Zombiepocolypse. Saiga 12 Shogtun IZ 109 ,Red Jacket Firearms , Tromix , Atlantic Firearms.com

Keith

Very thoughtful post, and I sincerely appreciate that. My son is obsessed with becoming a Federal Agent someday. He is far more into pistols than long guns. We have a Glock 17 and a G22 with a .22 conversion that works on both of them. He LOVES shooting those.

Anyway, I completely agree with you on the value and history of your suggestion. That may be in our future.

The AR-15 was ordered from Coctailer a couple days ago. Should be here middle of next week.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions, definitely something for me to think about for the next purchase(s).

Ty

Howdy Ty,

I'll take you down a different road and with consideration you've got a kid you're lookin' out for. The Garand/94 .25-35 guys alluded to my strategy, then didn't mention my reasoning:

INVEST the $2K. Find a gun that is not only interesting, fun, and useful, but also will increase in value better than any current real estate or bank account. (and TAX FREE!) If your kid doesn't go head-over-heels for the shooting sports, a $2K investment in the right gun could pay for a lot of education when the time comes.

This may take you out of your comfort zone, but a nice Winchester '73 or similar gun in the $2K range could be shot moderately, cared for well, and will always be worth at least what you put into it if you've done your homework.

It will become the centerpiece of your collection: the one you show first to a trusted friend, and the one your kid dreams of taking possession of when the time comes: a priceless piece of our country's history in tangible, shootable hardware.

Think about it. Can an AR provide all that?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top