JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I came across this picture and it got me thinking what rifle does the shooter have or what rifle and bullet caliber, loads could achieve this ballistic ?

tumblr_o5kvfu2vSg1t382eqo1_500.gif

Any particulars or bkgnd info to accompany this vendetta e.g. distance?

My gunsmith does it with his custom rig and handloaded cartridges ?

Not sure whatcha looking for per se?

While many rifle rounds might fly through without total destruction I was surprised by the .30 cal carbine. I don't know if its slow and heavy but it tore up a lot of stuff the .223 and 7.62 just punched a hole thru.

It's a watermelon right?

Any full size hunting round will do this with a hollow point or a partition. Even an old soft point round nose 30-30 will do this.

Watermelons are a trick. They have so much water "free" in them, not bound up in meat and so on, that when you hit it and the bullet expands the water tries to get out of the way or compress, which of course it can't do.

POOF!

No more watermelon.

Military ammo without expansion goes right through. Try a varmint bullet on a 223 or a 308 and see what happens.

A .243 Win with a light varmint bullet going 4100fps will vaporize stuff pretty good.

I was thinking the same thing.

I have a .243 load for my Model Seven that uses the 55 gr Ballistic Tip, but I'm only pushing it along at a milquetoast 3800 fps. It opens up a coyote about like that watermelon.

E

A 50 grain .223 Barnes Varmint Grenade doing 2800 FPS will make a water balloon do that, so I'd expect it to do something similar to a watermelon. Varmint Grenade is made of compressed lead and zinc powder and has bigger than normal hollow point. IIRC it starts expanding about an inch in. Hit a small varmint with it and there is nothing left but a wet spot. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top