JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey Everyone,

Recently we've heard of a few different situations where members felt uncomfortable when buying, selling, or trading a firearm. As lawful firearm owners, we all have a personal responsibility to do everything in our power to ensure that our firearms do not end up in the hands of criminals and/or those prohibited by law due to age, residency, etc. Easier yet, we also have a personal responsibility to do everything in our power to ensure that all transactions comply with federal, state, and local laws.

I don't have to go into the many possible consequences this site would likely face if it ever came to be known an illegal firearm obtained from this site were used in a crime. There are many, the most serious of which would probably be legal implications for myself as the owner and the end of this site.

I know the vast majority of you will never have a problem with a transaction because most of you are experienced and keen to the signs of a shady transaction. My worry lies with the people who've recently become firearm owners. As a service to all firearm owners, and in the spirit of education with which this site was founded, we'd like to compile a list of potential red flags to watch for when conducting a transaction involving a firearm, then stick it in each of the classified sections.

In this thread I'd like to get some ideas of what you guys watch for, how you cover yourselves, suggestions, recommendations, etc. We'll go to work on the sticky thread soon, once we have enough information to compile it. It's my hope that we'll all learn something about making our transactions a little bit safer in the future :s0155:

$300+ Wolf .223

$800 Mini 14s

$900 WASRs

$500 used 2nd gen Glocks

Those are pretty good red flags.

On a serious note, good communication is paramount. If the buyer/seller can't handle a few e-mail exchanges or a decent phone conversation I tend to walk away.

If doing a FTF, bring a buddy, check their ID ( needs to be a resident of the state you live in ), and always do the exchange IN DAYLIGHT. No surprises that way.

Go to their home if possible. At least for someone with no trades under their belt. People are less likely to sell/buy something stolen or be a criminal if you know where they live....notice i said LESS likely.

Not to mention who's home are you really going to? and how many people are going to be there? Nice public place with lots of potential wittnesses! at least I have nothing to hide!!! (Heck I even ment Krawl at a shopping center,really did want to see his home too!!!)

Steven

I bet if you look at crime statistics, there are many more 'gone bad' transactions at public places than there are at people's homes.
10 times more i would bet. Whether it be illegal drug transactions or legal gun transactions. MUCH more likely to go bad in a 'public' place.
Not to mention who's home are you really going to? and how many people are going to be there? Nice public place with lots of potential wittnesses! at least I have nothing to hide!!! (Heck I even ment Krawl at a shopping center,really did want to see his home too!!!)

Steven

I had this discussion a week ago with a friend of mine (also a NWF member) and because I don't do a lot of trading or selling of the guns I have, I decided if I do I would only sell to a CHL holder. I realize that might seem extreme, but the way I see it to carry that card you can't have a felony on your record. A drivers licenses will not tell you that.

$300+ Wolf .223

$800 Mini 14s

$900 WASRs

$500 used 2nd gen Glocks

Those are pretty good red flags.

This would be a great place for IRS agents to hang out so they can audit them after April 15th. Greedy SOBs that cheat their fellow shooters will also cheat on their taxes. Their ads will make them easy for the agents to ID :s0114:

I bet if you look at crime statistics, there are many more 'gone bad' transactions at public places than there are at people's homes.
10 times more i would bet. Whether it be illegal drug transactions or legal gun transactions. MUCH more likely to go bad in a 'public' place.

Please explain.

People are just less likely to commit crimes in their own homes when conducting a transaction.
Think about it. If you have a stolen gun, are you more likely to invite the buyer to your home? If you have even half a brain? or are you more likely to meet someplace in 'public' and then disappear?
Same thing if you are a felon wanting to buy. Are you more likely to meet in public to make the transaction, or invite the seller to your home?
Most criminals/shady people would rather meet in public and leave no trail, not invite you to their home. Common-sense.
Yes, their are idiot criminals, but most are not so stupid as to let you come to their home, where you can then potentially send the police to get them later.

Please explain.

I had this discussion a week ago with a friend of mine (also a NWF member) and because I don't do a lot of trading or selling of the guns I have, I decided if I do I would only sell to a CHL holder. I realize that might seem extreme, but the way I see it to carry that card you can't have a felony on your record. A drivers licenses will not tell you that.

You really aren't obligated to do any kind of background investigation. Some freedom loving fellow gun owners don't have CHLs because they don't feel like getting permission from the government 'allowing' them to practice a right. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your stance but I just don't require the same thing. Your only legal obligation is to not have any reason to believe they are not eligible to possess a firearm.

That said, if I went to sell a firearm to someone and thought they might be under 18 years of age I would ask to see some proof. Also seeing a CHL or DL is a good way to be sure they are a resident of the state. There's too much ATF entrapment out there in the world to ignore it.

People are just less likely to commit crimes in their own homes when conducting a transaction.
Think about it. If you have a stolen gun, are you more likely to invite the buyer to your home? If you have even half a brain? or are you more likely to meet someplace in 'public' and then disappear?
Same thing if you are a felon wanting to buy. Are you more likely to meet in public to make the transaction, or invite the seller to your home?
Most criminals/shady people would rather meet in public and leave no trail, not invite you to their home. Common-sense.
Yes, their are idiot criminals, but most are not so stupid as to let you come to their home, where you can then potentially send the police to get them later.

Feel free to ignore any classified ads I post.

haha I've met people at the outlet mall along I5, Gateway mall, costco, Oregon Community and more. Did a trade on a rifle in a McDonalds parking lot.

1. This whole thread is kinda stupid! Dont sell anything illegal, or buy anything illegal on the web!
2. FTF is obviously is the best way, (refer to rule #1)
3. If you dont feel comfortable with a few Email exchanges or phone calls. Then forget it! Your security is paramount! If you feel the need to to show up with backup, then chances are your not comfortable meeting said person. Why even bother? After all your not breaking any law! Why even put yourself in a situation that you might question to be legit? I wouldnt, neither should anyone else. Unless that is what they are seeking..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top