JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People are just less likely to commit crimes in their own homes when conducting a transaction.
Think about it. If you have a stolen gun, are you more likely to invite the buyer to your home? If you have even half a brain? or are you more likely to meet someplace in 'public' and then disappear?
Same thing if you are a felon wanting to buy. Are you more likely to meet in public to make the transaction, or invite the seller to your home?
Most criminals/shady people would rather meet in public and leave no trail, not invite you to their home. Common-sense.
Yes, their are idiot criminals, but most are not so stupid as to let you come to their home, where you can then potentially send the police to get them later.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I'm not going to anyone's house I don't know to buy anything other than a pool table. Public places for me thanks.

I like the CHL / CPL idea, positive ID and reasonably sure to be non-insane non-felon.

I buy all my guns new from stores so I know they are clean, and don't sell any, so much for worrying about buyers.

But if I were doing a private sale, I'd get the buyer's name and address and the guns' serial number on a receipt, wouldn't have a problem with my name on there as well.

My two centses-

PS as to the spelling thing, yeah. I can't recommend IE Spell enough for those running Internet Explorer. Integrates seamlessly and works. Because, dang, forums see some pitiful spelling.

Last Edited:
I haven't completed a transaction with a site member yet, but was made apprehensive about one a couple weeks ago.
I made contact with a fellow one night who suggested that we complete a transaction long after 1AM ! Because of this I didn't like the idea of going to his location and certainly did not want him at my house. I then opted for a public location, during the next day, my thinking was that there were plenty of bystanders and a security camera system covering the area. The guy originally agreed to this, but never showed up and didn't respond to my voice mail message.
I have since noticed the guy's (who is a relatively new supporting member) ID show up on other WTS posts. Other than a transaction number rating there doesn't seem to be much to go by for a litmus test on a member. If I understand the process on this site correctly, I could drop fifty bucks or so tomorrow for senior membership and "voila" instant respectability.
I suppose this maybe a case of my being too cautious on a transaction, but am I missing a "Green Flag" to look for somewhere here on the site ?

Thanks "Dude" , that is exactly what I felt, even though he is a prolific seller.

---" Joey Link "--- What about including some sort of flag system for when negative info is received (really negative info that would call a members integrity in question)...something like the E-bay feedback system.

PS as to the spelling thing, yeah. I can't recommend IE Spell enough for those running Internet Explorer. Integrates seamlessly and works. Because, dang, forums see some pitiful spelling.

Or you can use Firefox. Built-in spell checker. :s0155:

I echo some of what has already been stated. This is partly what I look for, although there's no substitute for that gut feeling. (red flags are opposite what I'm posting)

1. Member status and # of posts and transactions (length of membership and quality/quantity of posts about more than simply buying and selling)
2. Good communication and being upstanding (doing what you say you'll do, meeting when you say you will)
3. Bill of sale, though I totally understand keeping paperwork to a minimum.
4. Meeting in public places or meeting at a person's residence. (depends on transaction)
5. Patience. Something will turn up sooner or later, so you can be picky about who you deal with. A big plus when used in conjunction with #1.

Call your local Police station or S/O records and have the serial # of the gun ran thru LEDS/NCIC if you are the buyer of the gun.

Bill of sales are nice w/ the serial #'s of the gun or CHL/ODL #'s or DOB's in the paperwork.

Thanks "Dude" , that is exactly what I felt, even though he is a prolific seller.

---" Joey Link "--- What about including some sort of flag system for when negative info is received (really negative info that would call a members integrity in question)...something like the E-bay feedback system.

There is a trade feedback system already :D

Unless you mean a separate one just for general reputation?

The trade rating system is basically the same thing as this. If someone is unsure of a buyer or seller, they can always create a thread and ask others if they've had any experience with them :s0155:

I don't have any new clues about early warnings of a poor purchaser, but I do have some items that may point out that the purchaser/seller is honest.
1. Good written communication (I know this has already been pointed out)
2. Willingness to exchange home/cell phone numbers
3. Check out their previous post, not just the WTS/WTB. Are they helpful, positive are they contributing to this forum?
4. Check their trade rating...
5. Talk to them over the phone then follow up with an email with your understanding of the details this way both of you have the deal in writing.

In my limited experience on this board, I have nothing but very positive experiences with the members of this board! Thus far I have traded, sold and purchased without any problems!

Thanks to all that help keeps this forum running smooth!

Charles

I don't have any new clues about early warnings of a poor purchaser, but I do have some items that may point out that the purchaser/seller is honest.
1. Good written communication (I know this has already been pointed out)
2. Willingness to exchange home/cell phone numbers
3. Check out their previous post, not just the WTS/WTB. Are they helpful, positive are they contributing to this forum?
4. Check their trade rating...
5. Talk to them over the phone then follow up with an email with your understanding of the details this way both of you have the deal in writing.

In my limited experience on this board, I have nothing but very positive experiences with the members of this board! Thus far I have traded, sold and purchased without any problems!

Thanks to all that help keeps this forum running smooth!

Charles

+1 to that. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews