JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm using Hodgdon HS-6 for my 10mm. I plan on trying it for 9mm too. I also have some Hodgdon Titegroup to try. I bought the Titegroup because it was cheap. Titegroup is a fast powder that requires a small charge and has an extremely tight Start to Max tolerances. I haven't tried it yet for either caliber. The HS-6 is bulkier and from what I'm told burns cleaner the closer you get to Max.

I'm using Hodgdon HS-6 for my 10mm. I plan on trying it for 9mm too. I also have some Hodgdon Titegroup to try. I bought the Titegroup because it was cheap. Titegroup is a fast powder that requires a small charge and has an extremely tight Start to Max tolerances. I haven't tried it yet for either caliber. The HS-6 is bulkier and from what I'm told burns cleaner the closer you get to Max.

I use HS-6 with 115 gr FMJ 9mm in the middle of the range provided in the Lyman's manual. It works well, maybe a little light on power though, a new-to-guns friend of mine had some problems with FTE from limp-wristing. I'll probably dial it up a bit on my next batch.

Greg

I'm pleased with HS-6 in my 40. I'm loading 6.3gr under 180gr FMJs and a standard primer. It throws well and burns pretty clean. But i don't load for the 9mm yet.

I have been happy with power pistol for practice rounds but ran out was thinking of trying AA#7 or WSF I think I might stay with P.P.
thanks for opinions

I use WSF for 9mm, Power Pistol for .40S&W and .357Sig, and WST for .45ACP. These are the cleanest and most consistent velocity powders I've used for those calibers.

For WSF, use the same load data as Unique.

I use WSF for 9mm, Power Pistol for .40S&W and .357Sig, and WST for .45ACP. These are the cleanest and most consistent velocity powders I've used for those calibers.

For WSF, use the same load data as Unique.

What bullet weight are you using for 9mm. I load 124gr and find that the Power Pistol works great for that too. Not as much "bark" as with the 115 gr.

What bullet weight are you using for 9mm. I load 124gr and find that the Power Pistol works great for that too. Not as much "bark" as with the 115 gr.

I'm currently using 125g Lead SWCs recently introduced by Missouri Bullet Company, but mid-weight (120-125g) in 9mm is what I load. It's true that heavier bullet weights tend to feel softer than lighter weight, higher velocity bullets. For .40S&W, I lean toward 180g bullets. In .45ACP, I use 200g over 230g primarily due to cost (.45ACP is a fairly soft round to shoot anyway).

Another vote for W231.

You mean IF you can find it??

I've been using Titegroup in 9mm, cheap, clean, fairly fast and gets a bullet moving quickly through those 3" and 4" barrels. HS-6 was recomended to me by a guy at the range for my full size .40, works well and it burns very clean. However, HS-6 seemed smokey and dirty in the .45acp.

I'm wanting to start using 231 in everything except the .40, it measures better out of my RCBS thrower than Titegroup and Unique, and seems very clean. There's been some kind of problem in PDX and no one has had 231 for a month now. I called Winchester almost two weeks ago and the person (with a great Mid-West accent) I spoke to said there WAS a shortage but that they'd been rolling it out to all their suppliers, he was familiar with Allsports who supplies our local outlets. They still didn't have it a week ago.

Maybe this week...........

Mike

You mean IF you can find it??

I've been using Titegroup in 9mm, cheap, clean, fairly fast and gets a bullet moving quickly through those 3" and 4" barrels. HS-6 was recomended to me by a guy at the range for my full size .40, works well and it burns very clean. However, HS-6 seemed smokey and dirty in the .45acp.

I'm wanting to start using 231 in everything except the .40, it measures better out of my RCBS thrower than Titegroup and Unique, and seems very clean. There's been some kind of problem in PDX and no one has had 231 for a month now. I called Winchester almost two weeks ago and the person (with a great Mid-West accent) I spoke to said there WAS a shortage but that they'd been rolling it out to all their suppliers, he was familiar with Allsports who supplies our local outlets. They still didn't have it a week ago.

Maybe this week...........

Mike
Try Bimart

Try Bimart

Not too snarky..... DUH! That's been my go to spot for primers AND powder. I've been calling them for the last three weeks, only because I got tired of driving there to find they still didn't have them the two weeks before that. They were out of primers for a month too, of course so was Fishermans, CCI anyway. Haven't called yet this week, but if they're out STILL I may just order a 8# jug from someone else and call corporate offices and tell them they've lost a customer.

Not snarky, really.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews