JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to off my direct gas impingement rifle and go after a piston rifle, I am not opposed to a GOOD regulated gas impingement rifle either. I am tired of the mess cleaning up after shooting suppressed. For those of you who shoot your AR platform rifles suppressed you know what I am talking about. I don't want to break the bank but I am not opposed to spending in the $2000 range for a good quality rifle, besides I will be selling my Black Rifle Company rifle to help offset the costs.
I would like some input from guys running piston guns or regulated gas impingement guns. Your honest opinions as well as any positive or negative feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks for the help.

FWIW.
I've shot a few "conversions" where they are home swapped, or bought a DI rifle with someone's piston on it.
Personally I like Ruger's piston system better than the others. Ruger tends to over build a system, but I'm OK with that. One of the aftermarket systems on a buddies Sheepdog didn't fare so well with a bunch of suppressed fire.
If you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year, it probably won't matter. If you are like me who shots several thousand rounds in a few rifles, I think it does matter.
$.02

Last Edited:
if you want to convert your existing rifle to an adjustable DI system, there are two different options for you...

syrac ordinance makes an adjustable gas block so you can dial in the gas flow to limit the blowback into the bolt/carrier.

another option is the W.A.R. upper from innovative arms. has a small knob on the side of the upper to limit gas flow specifically made for suppressed/unsuppressed functionality. That upper does cost about $150 more than the average forged upper though. and it's stripped. not a complete upper.

anyway: just a couple options for you.

You should also be aware: if you have a plastic handguard: a piston system will get VERY HOT under the handguard and have a high risk of melting the handguard because it focuses heat on the gas block and piston. the bolt and carrier may stay cool, but the handguard will not be cool at all.

DI keeps the handguard cool but heats up the bolt/carrier. there are benefits and drawbacks to both systems.

Ruger had somehow slipped my mind. I know that they are using the Adams Arms piston system which seems to be a decent and robust system. I am more likely to sell one of my current rifles to fund a factory piston/regulated gas impingement rifle rather than convert my existing. The only one I will be converting is my Noveske and I plan to just purchase a switch block from Noveske for that one.
Anyone have input on the Ruger platforms? I know you can read reviews all day long on the internet but I would rather hear from people here on our local forum.
Any other first hand info on piston or RGI rifles would be appreciated.
BTW I am not running plastic on any of my platforms.

Innovative-arms-1war-upper.jpg
The labeling should say "BANG" and "Shhhh."

I have been through a few now and I use a can on mine. Of course this is opinion and you know what that means.

PWS - long stroke, very reliable, very light wish I had another.
LWRC - Worked great, the one I had was heavy, they have newer models with less weight.
Ruger - Needed break in, heavy (lighter ones out now) ammo finicky
AA - light weight (right model), ammo finicky.

When I say ammo finicky that means it does not like steel case Russian stuff. If that does not matter then they work great. Of all that I have had I prefer the PWS great rifle! Have the AA still though as well also very nice set up.

If you want something different also check out the ARAK, very cool and reliable upper.

AA is good with steel cased ammo in carbine length. Mid length is finicky. Rifle length even worse.

I sent my upper back to AA to have them tweak it for steel case ammo. It's a middy. It shoots everything since I got it back.

Supposedly there newer stuff is supposed to be able to cycle everything on every length system they make. Mine is a bit old but still pumping through lead.

Which ever you decide on. Buy a second kit if financially possible. To have spare parts if needed. I have a full Sapir carrier and piston set up. Never needed it but I've read folks online breaking piston rods.

I have been through a few now and I use a can on mine. Of course this is opinion and you know what that means.

PWS - long stroke, very reliable, very light wish I had another.
LWRC - Worked great, the one I had was heavy, they have newer models with less weight.
Ruger - Needed break in, heavy (lighter ones out now) ammo finicky
AA - light weight (right model), ammo finicky.

When I say ammo finicky that means it does not like steel case Russian stuff. If that does not matter then they work great. Of all that I have had I prefer the PWS great rifle! Have the AA still though as well also very nice set up.

If you want something different also check out the ARAK, very cool and reliable upper.

I have seen the PWS and I guess I never paid attention to the fact that it is a piston gun, I will be looking into them. I do like the LWRC but the ones I have checked out are heavier than I really care for. I would like to find something as reliable as possible along with a quality that will last. I know AA has come out with a new model of their own but they are pretty pricey in my opinion for what you get. I really like the PWS option, thanks for bringing light to the fact that it is a piston system.

Regarding the AA I have the mid system.

If you were a bit closer you could shoot my PWS and decide for yourself. However, I don't think you would regret the purchase. It is a fantastic system. I did not buy their complete rifle I found an upper for sale and put it on a lower of mine, works great. After I get the next rifle I am looking for I will try to find the 7.62 PWS to add to the collection.

Good luck.

Regarding the AA I have the mid system.

If you were a bit closer you could shoot my PWS and decide for yourself. However, I don't think you would regret the purchase. It is a fantastic system. I did not buy their complete rifle I found an upper for sale and put it on a lower of mine, works great. After I get the next rifle I am looking for I will try to find the 7.62 PWS to add to the collection.

Good luck.

I was hoping to find a complete rifle that had billet upper/lower (just like the look of billet) but it seems most of the reputable and affordable guns are standard upper and lowers. I was interested in the Arsenal Democracy Reaper33 but it seems too new to go after and I think I really want a piston for that price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top