JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I was wondering what pistol I should get. While browsing my gun safe, I realized I lacked one important thing: a shiny gun! I want either a semi auto or a revolver. If it is a semi auto, I want it to be somewhere around .40 S&W and .45 acp. If it is a revolver, I want it to be between .38 spl and .44 mag. I want it to have a barrel length between 3 and 5 inches. Preferably, with a stainless or matte stainless finish. Any suggestions? What do you have?

Uber Rifleman:gun10:

hmmmm, you've really narrowed it down to about 1,000 or so pistols.... are you going to shoot it? CC it, collect it or simply want an attractive gun. What is your budget? Might I suggest the .45 caliber classic, the one, the only the Colt Model 1911?

Brutus Out

hmmmm, you've really narrowed it down to about 1,000 or so pistols.... are you going to shoot it? CC it, collect it or simply want an attractive gun. What is your budget? Might I suggest the .45 caliber classic, the one, the only the Colt Model 1911?

Brutus Out
I am most certainly going to shoot it. I would also like to be able to concealed carry it in a OWB holster. Budget isn't much of a concern as I will have to save for whatever gun I get. I know my question was broad, and that was intentional because I was hoping to get a wide variety of answers

Brutus Out
for CHL glock 19 or s&w m&p is the most versatile IMO.

x2 on what's the intended use??? for me, a 1911 is more like a beloved classic muscle car rather than a workhorse CHL or self-defense pistol. so, if you want a shiny range-gun, BBQ gun or recreational gun then 1911 or S&W 686 revolver. on the revolvers i like .357 magnum because you can use hot rounds or the lighter .38 special for light target shooting or as an easier intro for new shooters.

this youtube channel has lots of good info on revolvers TheYankeeMarshal

if you opt for a 1911 remember that many factory 1911 magazines DO NOT CYCLE WELL (not trying to be mean just relaying my observations from taking high round count classes and competitions). the guys who run 1911's a lot often get specialty aftermarket mags to prevent failure to feeds etc.***

***if you're a very casual shooter you may not run your 1911 hard enough to experience these things but i'm referring to shooting 300-600 rounds in a day and some of these gremlins come out.... and then people who only shoot 20-50 rounds in a day, once or twice a year get angry because they feel i'm knocking their 'baby' :/ oh well.

Last Edited:
lastly on the 1911 make sure you thoroughly test whatever ammo you choose to trust your life to. sometimes a 1911 will run like a Swiss Watch with simple ball ammo but won't cycle JHP duty rounds. just something to be aware of.

Not too long ago I decided I needed a revolver. Got myself a nice used Smith & Wesson Model 66, 4" stainless in .357 magnum, but can also shoot .38 special too, of course. I'm very happy with it, fun to shoot and looks nice! Maybe look into the Ruger GP101, I think it is. Very similar to the S&W Model 66.

SORRY: WRONG THREAD FOR THIS REPLY:For a durable, accurate and versatile hunting .22 handgun, the Ruger Single Six revolver cannot be beat. The .22 Magnum option allows for quite a formidable delivery of extra power if the quarry is Jackrabbit sized or larger ('Coons, Skunks, Possums and the like). Snake loads (shot capsules) in the WMR are very effective for their advertised purpose. Long Rifle shot loads are truthfully "putting up a prayer" toward a sizeable rattler.

If the hunter decides Long Rifle is all the power he will ever need, then another Ruger gets my nod: the Standard Auto (or MKII or MKIII versions of same). Here you get bulletproof reliability, extreme accuracy, and parts and accessories that are nearly limitless. Grip and barrel configurations are numerous and accommodate all. The 5" bull barrel is the perfect combination of ease of carry combined with accuracy. However, my long tapered target barreled version seems to shoot better on the paper. This could be the advantage of sight radius rather than barrel contour.

Last Edited:
i like .357 magnum because you can use hot rounds or the lighter .38 special for light target shooting or as an easier intro for new shooters.

lol that guy is hilarious!

Also

I love my S&W 686 Plus, I have a 6" Barrel, I wouldn't go shorter than 4". The Pepsi Challenge side by side with the Ruger, Pull the triggers and you'll buy the Smith.

lol that guy is hilarious!

Also

I love my S&W 686 Plus, I have a 6" Barrel, I wouldn't go shorter than 4". The Pepsi Challenge side by side with the Ruger, Pull the triggers and you'll buy the Smith.

pretty sure the yankee marshal lives in vancouver, washington too. yeah s&w 686 is a good choice if you're in the market for a full-frame stainless revolver. is the 686+ a .38 special +P variant or is it a .357 magnum?

for CHL glock 19 or s&w m&p is the most versatile IMO.

x2 on what's the intended use??? for me, a 1911 is more like a beloved classic muscle car rather than a workhorse CHL or self-defense pistol. so, if you want a shiny range-gun, BBQ gun or recreational gun then 1911 or S&W 686 revolver. on the revolvers i like .357 magnum because you can use hot rounds or the lighter .38 special for light target shooting or as an easier intro for new shooters.

if you opt for a 1911 remember that many factory 1911 magazines DO NOT CYCLE WELL (not trying to be mean just relaying my observations from taking high round count classes and competitions). the guys who run 1911's a lot often get specialty aftermarket mags to prevent failure to feeds etc.***

***if you're a very casual shooter you may not run your 1911 hard enough to experience these things but i'm referring to shooting 300-600 rounds in a day and some of these gremlins come out.... and then people who only shoot 20-50 rounds in a day, once or twice a year get angry because they feel i'm knocking their 'baby' :/ oh well.
Yeah I'm subscribed to TYM and have been watching his videos for a long time. He makes great videos.

pretty sure the yankee marshal lives in vancouver, washington too. yeah s&w 686 is a good choice if you're in the market for a full-frame stainless revolver. is the 686+ a .38 special +P variant or is it a .357 magnum?

that's what i thought just wasn't sure what exactly the "+" was in reference too.

I'm still learning myself, and don't know exactly what +P means, but I gather it's a hotter round, so maybe "plus power" or something. But something with a little more sauce behind it that the regular round. So a gun made for .38 Special +P should be able to hold up to the extra pressure of a .357 Magnum. Although I'll be honest, when I took my Model 66 to the range to shoot it for the first time, I got 50 rounds of .38 special and 50 rounds of .357 magnum. Fired the .38 first, then switch to the .357, and I really didn't notice much difference, I was expecting a lot more kick for the .357.

Oh, and I don't know if the previous owner did some trigger work on my Model 66, but the single action trigger pull is so smooth and light, it's like butter, love it! Double action pull is heavier, but still smooth, definitely like that S&W trigger!

If you are going to go shiny a matte finish just will not do!

I have a model 29 with a 6" barrel and a nickel finish. Quite pimpish. I need a shoulder holster for it now.

The Model 686+ is a .357 mag that is, of course, rated for .38 special +P as well. I believe the "+" in 686+ is because it holds 7 rounds instead of 6, but I could be wrong.

Hello,
I was wondering what pistol I should get. While browsing my gun safe, I realized I lacked one important thing: a shiny gun! I want either a semi auto or a revolver. If it is a semi auto, I want it to be somewhere around .40 S&W and .45 acp. If it is a revolver, I want it to be between .38 spl and .44 mag. I want it to have a barrel length between 3 and 5 inches. Preferably, with a stainless or matte stainless finish. Any suggestions? What do you have?

Uber Rifleman:gun10:
Dood, no you didn't. You are thinking wrong and deserve some byatch slappage. I saw how you "wanted" like 50 times.. stop yo shenanegites. Just reverse engineer it and call it good and forget about the Kardashians.

That was code for WTF.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads