JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just go a new to me Remington 700 Police .308. Right now it has a Weaver 4.5x14 Weaver Grand Slam scope w/ factory rings and bases and a nice sling. I want this thing to be real accurate and reliable, and look cool too. I have come up with a list of what all I want to do to it over a little time. What order would you giys do this stuff in? Here's my list -

- Aftermarket Trigger
- Badger Ord. Detatchable mag
- Picittiny Rail Base
- Larue QD rings
- Leupold Mk II 6-18 mildot
- Aftermarket Stock
- Tactical Bolt Handle
- Blueprinted Action
- Professional Camo job

AMMO, Black Hills, 168-175 SMK
Stock (depending on what is on it now, if it is the PSS stock I would keep it)
Harris Bipod
Bolt knob (inexpensive and looks good)
Scope/rings/base
Trigger

Trigger time

blueprint/true the action

Thanks. I have a Harris Bi-Pod too. How much does a gunsmith usually charge to intall a bolt knob? The stock is a real nice one, I think, just was told ide be better off with a better one. It has the wide forend, double studs, and palm swell. Don't know if that's the PSS stock.

buy reloading equipment, reload your own ammo, my .270 Rem. Sendero shot like crap until I started shooting my reloads and now shooting 1" groups at 200 yrds. Need pics as you build though, good choice in a long rifle

- Aftermarket Trigger
- Badger Ord. Detatchable mag
- Picittiny Rail Base
- Larue QD rings
- Leupold Mk II 6-18 mildot
- Aftermarket Stock
- Tactical Bolt Handle
- Blueprinted Action
- Professional Camo job

From your list, I would focus on the scope and sling, as those will be the two biggest improvements to your shooting, likely.

Blueprinting the action is good, but that's usually done when you re-barrel. Trigger on the Rem. 700's can be adjusted, so that's not usually needed right off the bat. Badger detachable mag mod should wait until you switch stocks, but that should wait until you know what stock you really want. :s0155:

The bolt knob is a nice mod, and not very expensive (<$100), but won't really improve your grouping at all. And the camo job should also wait until you have upgraded your stock.

+ 1 for learning how to reload-it's essential to accurate shooting.
Then...
You can knock several things off this list with one of these:
<broken link removed>
That said AICS dont fit everyone well so try and check one out at Blackwater Tactical in Salem (shoot a PM to NWFA member Sully-he set me up with mine)
You'll need a scope, rail, rings-I'd suggest Badger for the hardware adn whatever scope you like.
As for the other stuff:
There are several local gunsmiths who can mill off the Rem bolt knob and thread the remaining stud to accept a Badger bolt knob, or if you're good with tools, you can cut and thread the knob yourself.
Same with the camo job. It needs to match your environment...Guncoat Northwest can do it for you. Or you can buy the materials and do it yourself. Krylon even makes some rattle-can spray camo paint that will do the job just fine.
Check out <broken link removed> for more ideas.
As for slings, you cant go wrong with a TIS sling from Triad Tactical.
Here's my 700P with the Badger bits, AICS stock, TIS sling, Harris Bipod and Horus Vision Scope:
772563211_4gt3i-L.jpg
And some 10-round rapid-fire groups at 100yds (the two 2"circles to the left):
772556244_hmCBe-L.jpg

Thanks for the input. My cousin handloads for me. Once I get it all "set up" he will come up with a load for me that works well and if I buy the components, he will load as much as I want for me. So I'm ok there. The more I look at my stock, I love it. I might just keep it. I am really good with tools, I was a fabricator for 4 years, and still do it a lot. I just don't know how to make the end of the bolt handle round so I can thread it. I got a set of OK Picitinny rings from my cousin, so I thonk I'm going to order a nice rail for it today. I can upgrade rings later when I get a better scope. Ide like the LaRue QD system, but its pretty spendy. I really like the detatchable mag, but is there a huge advantage to it? I've been looking at nice floor plates for a third of the cost. I live in the woods so I'm going to camo it kinda "woodland". Mike, from Oregon Firearm Stands has been doing a really good job on coatings for me, so if I don't do it my self, he's going to get the work. I also read an artical on another 308 percision rifle and they were using like a 200 dollar Baraska scope. They were shooting .46" groups at 200yds from a rest. Is there a huge reason to spend 3 times that on a scope? I'm not a Sniper and it will take a LONG time for me to get anywhere near "Sniper" level shooting. I also don't think I will be having any lives on the line with this rifle. What do you guys think? I know you shouldn't cheap out on optics, but how good do I really need, obviously not a 3000 dollar Nightforce.

I would start with the trigger, then move onto the scope and components. Do the detachable mag and bolt handle when you have extra cash, they aren't as critical. The stock that came on the gun should be fine for now (assuming its the one that was for sale in the classifieds). Then shoot the crap out of it. Get used to the trigger and shooting at range. When you shoot the barrel out, or get some extra money, replace the barrel (my preference is Pac-Nor barrels, but Hart, Lilja, and several other companies also make excellent barrels), and at that time, you can discuss with the gunsmith doing the barreling what he wants to do to the action (replace the bolt, lap the lugs, true the bolt face, true the action shoulder, replace the recoil lug and square it). After you get all this done, you can get the gun painted and replace the stock if you decide the old one doesn't suit your shooting and aesthetic needs.

Incidentally, check out pacific tool and guage. They sell some nice steel replacement parts for Remington 700.

As for trigger time, I can shot up to about 550yds at my house, anytime I want. I will be doing it a lot! How can I tell what stock I have? If it helps, its identical to the one on the cover of the movie Shooter...I ordered my Picitinny base from Guncrafters today. I'm trading my scope for a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tac. 10x40 with Burris Extream Rings too. I think next I might do the trigger, so I can get use to it. Is a Jewell trigger a whole lot better than say a $100 Timney? Am I, not being a pro, gunna notice a huge difference?

I'm not a Remington guy but isn't your factory trigger adjustable?

The 10x 3200 is a good little scope. I have one on an AR that I regularly shoot out to 600 yards. You are probably gonna want to use low rings with that base. It still may be too high to get a good cheek weld. If thats the case you can get Karsten adjustable cheek rest or one of the strap on cheek pads.

I'd have a good look at the Nikon line of scopes.... their Buckmark level cost about two hundred, and as far as I'm concerned is about the best bang for the buck out there. SUPER sharp and clear, two reticle styles to choose from, nitgoren filled, totally sealed, coated, and bright. Their long experience and top reputation for camera optics puts them ahead of most of the rest for the same price point.

Their Monarch line is a bit more dear, but offer more options for zoom range and objective lens diameter. That factor is the main key to a scope's light gathering ability.. brightness. But, there isn't really much difference between 40 and 50 mm diameter.... most times, not enough to warrant the huge increase in cost, nor the added weight and size.

I'd get to someplace that carries the full line of Nikon and a few others....compare them. Oh, one more detail, the Nikon guarantee is, I'm told, extremely good. No hassles when there IS an issue... which is not often. I've heard horror tales of some of the other manufacturere.

I've been told my trigger is adjustable, I havnt messed with it yet though. If there's a problem with the rings being high, I will get a cheek rest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top