JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw that somewhere recently but did not realize it was in Yakima. I find the bit about a friend of "Trevor's" finding Mr Walker on Facebook and thanking him for not shooting his friend a bit surreal.

There are a handful of good reasons to open carry I think, But dont think there is ever a good reason to open carry in a Walmart.

I think that this story speaks to good training, reflexive trigger control, and plenty of practice that included spoken commands, as much as it does to method of carry. While I personally believe that CC is better for "out in public" it's because I don't feel comfortable being "noticed", not because I believe OC is wrong.

Last Edited:
I saw that somewhere recently but did not realize it was in Yakima. I find the bit about a friend of "Trevor's" finding Mr Walker on Facebook and thanking him for not shooting his friend a bit surreal.

There are a handful of good reasons to open carry I think, But dont think there is ever a good reason to open carry in a Walmart.

Yeah I think that was the real point.

Still going to OC.

Good for the guy for displaying restraint.
While this was an example of an OC'er being attacked Id also like to note a "disheveled individual" should be made noticed and kept and eye on.. I think with his three kids running around and no doubt all bidding for "dads" attention his attention was taken off the proximity of a grown adult.. So his situational awareness was compromised. Which is easy to slip when you have kids.. But it should be made a priority if you are carrying and especially open carrying.

I do find it odd they lock up knives but not bats.. If you're going far enough to lock up all "potential" weapons.. They too are a deadly weapon that anyone could pick up and do harm with.

Anyhow, OC'ers dont let this discourage you. Learn from it.

Its our constitutional right to do so.

ZA said,

"I do find it odd they lock up knives but not bats.. If you're going far enough to lock up all "potential" weapons.. They too are a deadly weapon that anyone could pick up and do harm with."

That logic makes no sense! There's thousands of things in a wal mart that could be used as a weapon, hammers, screwdrivers, bottles, cans, lawn tool's, lamps, irons. Etc.... guess they should just lock the whole place down?.

Last Edited:
I do find it odd they lock up knives but not bats.. If you're going far enough to lock up all "potential" weapons.. They too are a deadly weapon that anyone could pick up and do harm with.

I think they lock up knives because they're hot theft items... baseball bats, probably not so much.

Felony charge filed in Yakima bat attack on armed citizen

A 20-year-old man identified as Trevor Zumwalt was charged yesterday in Yakima County Superior Court with felony assault for allegedly attacking an openly-armed citizen at a Wal-Mart last Saturday....

<broken link removed>

Knives have been in cases for more decades than I have been alive. I bet originally it was to keep children from stabbing each other while dad talked to the counterman.

Anything that is small, high value and universally used is high theft. Gillette mach 3 blades is one of the most commonly stolen items there is.

About 20 years ago I worked at a GI Joes (in Medford if it's relevant). What got stolen even back then was astounding. If I recall the industry expectation was that 3% of the gross dollars were lost due to theft.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top