JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The smith 629 Classic DX. These were 629s that had met an accuracy standard and were presented with a test target, 2 sets of grips, and 5 interchangeable sight blades.

The part I care about is the accuracy testing. Under 1.5 inch 5-shot group at 50 yards initially (machine rest); under 1.5 inches at 25 yards toward the end of production. Apparently sw shot just one group with all 629s, and pulled out the more accurate for selling as DX. So the average accuracy of the DXs would have been higher than non DX; but some of the straight 629s would actually have been more accurate than some of the DXs, depending on whether the single test group was one of the gun's better or worst. Also, the ammo was Fed 240gr JHP, and individual guns can vary in what they shoot best. So the 629s that flunked the DX test might simply have preferred something else. All those older 629s were noted for remarkable accuracy.

I would like to see the DX concept expanded and improved. Forget the multiple grips and sights. And just one 5-shot group as a measure of accuracy suffers too much from sampling error. Give me a 30 shot test target using all cylinders (machine rest), and with two different rounds, one a heavy hard-cast flat nose bullet. For a 629 Classic or a Performance Center hunting revolver that could keep the two 30 shot groups with the different ammos under 2 inches at 50 yards, I would gladly pay an extra $250, and they could skip the extra grips and sight blades.

Last Edited:
STG-44 in something other than 22LR....

Ask and ye shall receive.

18623355_1055920704507548_2329876034423514108_o-490x490.jpg

Available in 5.56x45㎜ NATO, 7.62x39㎜ Combloc, 7.92x33㎜ Kurz, and .300 Blackout.

I saw a story a few weeks ago about a guy got arrested years ago and had a German streum gerver in his van that his grandfather shipped home.from the war he didn't know what he had .
And the police had it in there storge for years before they donate to a history museum. stg44ondisplayatamuseum.jpg ps sorry for the spelling I don't speak German

Ok, all you historic fire arms experts, let's hear your thoughts ideas on the STG-44, what the heck was the ball at the end of the action rod meant for? Knowing German effency and economy of necessity in the later stages of the war, why, what was it used for?
I always thought it was to make it easier to grab when servicing, or to keep from causing damage to something when fireing, but that's a little overkill. It's not exactly earth shattering, just curious, maybe it was to dampen the piston, or steady the rate of fire.............IDK!:oops:

Bring back the A.H. FOX!!!!
I see Savage may be thinking of doing just that, but I want to see them do it for real, with the real line, not just a name stamp on a cheap knock off. While were at it, Love to see Savage bring back the combo O/O rifle, shotgun .223/20gau and .223/12gau combo
M-4survival rifle in both .223 and .308 would also be super schweet!

I saw a story a few weeks ago about a guy got arrested years ago and had a German streum gerver in his van that his grandfather shipped home.from the war he didn't know what he had .
And the police had it in there storge for years before they donate to a history museum.View attachment 472213 ps sorry for the spelling I don't speak German
Sturmgewehr. The Germans were onto something with the assault rifle concept, they just had poor logistics.

Even the British wanted an intermediate cartridge...

I'll say H&K P7 just because I didn't see anyone else mention it.

And even though it would be the most interesting out-of-production gun for me, I doubt I would buy one if they brought it back - current guns provide everything I want - at much less cost than a resurrected cult classic like the Python or P7.

I'll say H&K P7 just because I didn't see anyone else mention it.

And even though it would be the most interesting out-of-production gun for me, I doubt I would buy one if they brought it back - current guns provide everything I want - at much less cost than a resurrected cult classic like the Python or P7.

I really almost added this to the list, but I would want a version with a bit longer barrel.

Dan Wesson big-bore revolvers, including .445 Supermag and .357 Maximum
Colt Anaconda in .44 Mag, .45 Colt, AND .41 Magnum (not original, but still...).
S&W Metal-frame autos
Automag pistol (okay, someone is resurrecting this, but right now, at over $3,000, it's a bit too rich for my blood).
Walther PPK (a more historically accurate version, without the beavertail and in .32 ACP)
Ruger Deerslayer (would anyone else like to see something like this in .454, or am I alone?)

The things I DON'T want to see again in production is the older pre '85-'20s Smith and Wesson handguns. I WOULD like to see some of their really old 1850s to '20s revolvers. Those would be nice to see.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top